ICloud and Automatic Downloads Questions for Gaming

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Seiza616, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Seiza616

Seiza616 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    I have a few questions for people with regard to automatic downloads and ICloud:

1. How does the automatic downloads option work with the app store on an Iphone? If I am signed into the same Itunes account on two different devices and I also have the automatic downloads option selected on both devices as well....and then I download a new game on my phone, will that game also then download automatically on my ipad? If so, does this only apply to brand new purchases and not to a game that I previously downloaded, then deleated, then decided to download again at a later time, or will the game automatically download on both devices every time I redownload it?

2. Assuming the game appears on both devices and I begin using the app on my phone initially....whatever progress I make or whatever I do in the game while playing on my phone will not automatically port over to the same app in my ipad? I would have to do something through ICloud? I would guess this applies to any app as well?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    The answer to the first question is yes. Any purchases you make on one device will automatically download on the second. I don't believe re-downloads will trigger, though.

As for the second point, unfortunately data syncing still requires developers to manually implement it. Progress will not be copied, even if automatic downloads is turned on.

3. Seiza616

Apr 10, 2012
    #3 Seiza616, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    Thanks for the response....so your pretty sure re-downloads don't apply to the automatic downloads? I just want to be sure so I don't need to worry about checking the other device any time I re-download apps since the iPad I use is shared among different family members, specifically my 5 year old daughter.

I tend to redownload apps an awful lot since I always end up wanting to play old games again at different times on my phone while at work. I usually only play the new purchases on the Ipad.

4. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    I'm not sure on that point, no. I don't think it does, but I haven't tried it myself. It wouldn't make much sense for it to, so I'd be surprised if it did automatically download redownloads

Might be worth experimenting with - no harm in trying it...

5. Seiza616

Apr 10, 2012
    Could you do me favor and test it out for me? I won't be home for several days and I wont have a chance to test this out.