Universal Commander Pixman (by One Minute Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 28, 2011.

1. OneMinuteGames

OneMinuteGames Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    iOS Game Developer
    GAME CENTER WILL BE ADDED! In one of the first updates... I just wanted to polish other, more important things and not to delay release ( Game Center integration could be painfull sometimes... ) So don't worry!

2. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    About the floaty controls: didn't they look that way to everyone else in the video? I would expect them from the video. Are they "worse" than they look in the video? I think it's a design choice based on the number of characters behind you/etc...

3. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Yeah... The controls are a bit floaty... especially the jumping... :/

Maybe I just have to get used to it...

What do y'all think? Where's syntheticvoid? I wanna hear his opinion on this one :p

4. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Game Impressions

Excellent game. The main character inertia does come with a learning curve, but it's the sort that proportionately raises the level of satisfaction once mastered.

I do keep wishing for an iOS platformer with a bit more meat on the bones amid the recent onslaught of these quick and dirty 15 second level affairs, but most of them are good, and this is one of the best.

5. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Yeah, so I probably just gotta get used to the controls...

6. treasurestudio

treasurestudio Well-Known Member

We're working on a retro inspired platformer that's a bit more 'meaty' as you put it... still a lot to do but we're getting there.

Will take a look at Commander Pixman tonight... looks pretty good.

7. David R

David R Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Any plans to make this a Universal title at some point?

8. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I think this is very hard! Great, but hard! Maybe a little too much? I think it's the controls, enemies and the harsh time limit, but it still remains a great platformer, not for more casual gamers. Reminds me of VVVVVV. Yh, where's syntheticvoid?

9. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Yeah, this is a pretty insane diffuculty level, especially if you try to get 3 stars on all levels. That's one crazy time limit!

Lol, synthethicvoid, where are you??

10. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    PG said Stardash is punishing what if they review this :p

11. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    LOL! They really said that?! HAHA! Wow Stardash is a breeze compared to this!

No, Meganoid is pretty tough... but at least that one's a fun tough. This one just kinda frustrates you after a while. xD

12. poutini

poutini Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Student
    Calgary
    Game Impressions

As far as bite-sized platformers go, CP is pretty great. After playing through league of evil, mos speedrun and stardash, it's nice to have a gun for once. The inclusion of extra challenges (enemy ribbons and keys) really makes CP a standout for me. The physics weren't as weird as I had been led to believe by this thread - once you accept that it's jetpack physics and not jumping, all is well.

There's one change I'd like to see though. With such intense time constraints, I frequently need to begin my run before the red death screen has lifted (resulting in a ridiculous amount of unnecessary deaths as I plow blindly into spikes/monsters etc). The devs could take a page from mos speedrun and leave the counter at 0 until the player touches the screen - this would make speedruns less frustrating for me, at least.

Overall, pretty awesome, and highly recommended to fans of league of evil.

13. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    This! Makes a lot of sense!

14. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Yeah Poutini has a point. But it's far from LoE. As I said it's more of VVVVVV. iOS versiOn of it. :p

15. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Yeah, I wouldn't compare it to LoE... I've never played VVVVVV, though...

And it does help to think of the physics as jetpack and not jumping...

16. poutini

poutini Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Student
    Calgary
    I made the comparison for the death count/speed run aspects. The aesthetic, physics and amount of content are totally different.

17. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    First post updated with new video at request of developer. Go check it out!

18. OneMinuteGames

OneMinuteGames Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    iOS Game Developer
    @Echoseven: thanks!

Hah, and I've thought that game is TOO EASY :D Really... I don't know what you will say about 20 really hard levels that I'm preparing for the first content update ;)

Getting 3 stars is pretty though really, and getting a badge even more on some levels. But I think it is quite good ? If you just want to pass the game you can play carefully, without paying attention for timer and you will do it quite easy, but if you want some challenge - there is not quite easy then ;)

@David: When Commander Pixman gets an iPad version - it will be through Universal Update! I can promise that!

I'm thinking about iCade support ( but Universal update could be nice before ;) ) also...

@treasurestudio
    Ouh, competition :D Always welcome... But I still think what that "meaty" really means ? More like Super Meat Boy ? With blood on the walls etc. ? With double jump ?

19. treasurestudio

treasurestudio Well-Known Member

Ha... don't hold your breath, we're still a long way off releasing! ;)

Altho I'd love to see Super Meat Boy on the iPhone our version of 'meaty' is just more of a long lasting adventure harking back to some of the classic platformers. Lots to see and do, nice little story line, some cool set pieces, boss encounters etc...

Anyway, this is a thread about your game... downloading now!

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Love platform games, love retro graphics so i love this game !

Only two 'small' criticisms. To me the left/right buttons seem a bit too far apart, just a fraction but maybe its just me

Also (perhaps it changes on later levels) i've completed the first few levels, all are very very short. Would love long horizontal levels like Mario Land rather than tiny short ones all the time. Perhaps it changes later

Hope we get some updates later or a sequel at some point. Its a great game and i hope it does well for you. The ghosting stuff is cool but i must admit i normally try to complete a game and then de-install it, dont tend personally to keep re-trying the same levels

But please some long Mario Land type levels with checkpoints, would love that with this game.

Top marks though, great game