What was I thinking?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by paulosburn, Jul 30, 2011.

1. paulosburn

paulosburn Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Software Engineer at Vertigo
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Hi Everyone:

I've been visiting the Touch Arcade site nearly every day since 2008, but have never checked out the forums. What was I thinking? Lots of great stuff here and a great community.

I'm a Software Engineer by day (consulting company in the SF Bay Area) and a iOS developer by night (and weekends). After doing some prototyping with Objective-C + Cocos2d, Unity, and Corona SDK, I settled on Corona SDK for 2D work. I'm loving it so far and have one game in the app store. I'm working on a 2nd game right now and am looking forward to learning from the TA community.

I'll post about my current game in the Promo Codes and Contests thread unless there is a better place to do it.

Thanks for reading,

Paul

2. ImStrapped

ImStrapped Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    What up man! Welcome to the forums :)

3. paulosburn

paulosburn Member

Jul 29, 2011
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Thanks!

You're new game looks great, BTW.

4. pchukwura

pchukwura Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Co-Founder/Software Engineer
    Atlanta
    Welcome to the forums!

5. milkmangames

milkmangames Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard! and we're neighbors. I'm in SF too, and was also a 'software engineer' by day until recently, when I bit the bullet and i started doing...this by day too.

No link in your signature- can we see that first game?

Cheers!

6. ImStrapped

ImStrapped Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011

Thanks, we've been getting real great response. Very excited. Would love to see your stuff, too :)

7. RodrigoPerez

RodrigoPerez Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Welcome to TA I'm new to the forums too after surfing here for ages..There's tons of stuff to learn here.

8. paulosburn

paulosburn Member

Jul 29, 2011
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

As far as our game/app goes, what started out as just a goofy idea turned into a game that seems to resonate with kids. It's called SparkleFish and is basically audio mad-libs, if you remember doing those as a kid. We were inspired by an old SNL skit with where Dana Carvey doing a George H. Bush impression (I'm showing my age here). They dubbed in another voice at awkward places when he was talking. It sounded crazy and was really funny.

Anyway, if you have kids or have a niece or nephew, you can win them over by showing them SparkleFish. Kids seem to really have fun with it.

I'll post more later, but for now here is the link ... it's a free download:
    http://www.sparklefishapp.com

Thanks for checking it out,

Paul

9. Lazer

Lazer Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    Welcome to the forums. Just wanted to say that that sounds like a brilliant idea! Good luck with everything. If the app's not out though you'll want to post about it in the upcoming forum(s) rather than the promo codes/giveaways forum. Also, you'll definitely want to post with at the very least screenshots, and since you're using audio a lot I would highly suggest video of how it works.

Edit: Shoulda probably clicked your link first. You can post that in the games forums with the video embedded. It looks pretty cool.

10. paulosburn

paulosburn Member

Jul 29, 2011
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Nice! I definitely respect you for "going for it" with game development. It seems like it would be risky, difficult, and fun all at the same time. I hope you do extremely well.

No worries. Thanks for checking it out. I'll definitely post it with the screenshots, video, etc. soon.

paul

11. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    Toucharcadians 4:16 - "And he who hath walked among you for a generation, who hath tasted the fruits of your fields and enjoyed the warmth of your fires - shall fashion a post for himself from simple vBulletin, and announce himself as brother to the people, lurker no more."

Welcome to the forums :D

12. paulosburn

paulosburn Member

Jul 29, 2011
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Nice!

Thanks for the welcome Nullroar.