Facepalm. Just... Facepalm

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by lurtz6, Apr 14, 2011.

1. lurtz6

lurtz6 Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Slave to the public education system
    Right behind you, with the machete raised
    Modern Combat 2, Dead Space, Bug Heroes, Fight Night Champion, Great Little War Game, Trenches, Battleheart, Street Fighter IV.

All games that are below the top 50 on iTunes.

What has the app-buying community come to when Ultimate Mortal Combat 3 is above Street Fighter IV? When Battlefield Bad Company 2 is above Modern Combat 2? When Dead Space, voted by us to be the best game in the first quarter of 2011, and is the closest thing we have to a console game on iOS, is number 171?

What is wrong in this world?

Having said that, I want to thank the Toucharcade staff and forum members. All of You are true gamers who keep these great games alive. Thank you all.

Just something to think about...

2. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Mortal Kombat 3 is cheaper than Street Fighter IV, and Battlefield Bad Company 2 is cheaper than Modern Combat 2.

Sadly many people seem to care about the price more than the quality of the game.

3. Cmdr_Overscore

Cmdr_Overscore Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    The top grossing app in my App Store is tap zoo. That's right, not even Angry Birds but Tap Zoo which is free to download.

Apart from facepalming, I think we should start Chuck Norris'ing some people... jk i would probably get Chuck Norris'ed

4. natejeevas

natejeevas Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Student
    Not USA
    Pretty much this. And also majority of iPhone/iPodTouch/iPad owners are casual gamers that maybe don't even know (and care) that some of the games exist. And it's not like everyone checked TA or other related website for any good apps.

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    It's always about the prices man. Plus, most people still see the iOS as a multimedia device, not a portable gaming device. The games you listed all had their time of glory and pretty damn good sales fueled by Apple's features plus sites like TouchArcade. Also, there are many people who prefer something quick and easy to play like Angry Birds over the traditional games they can play on consoles. But yeah, the community here does a great job at recognizing the games that deserve the attention.

6. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I don't think this really deserves a facepalm. Price, individual tastes, coke/pepsi, sugar or nutrisweet are among the variables that determine the cream that rises to the top. There are other things in the world worth a facepalm, and this is the least worthy.

7. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    I'm sorry that your opinion cannot solely control the App Store.

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I wouldn't rate half the games mentioned in the first post.

9. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    The only one I would agree with you is Street Fighter IV, best fighting game for iDevice. People have different tastes. Personally I couldn't care less about something like wrestling, just because you like it doesn't mean the entire world likes it. If something like Doodle Jump got a higher rating than Infinity Blade on PS3, then there would be serious problems. This is a cellphone, it's just made for these quick pick-up-and-play games that are shallower than console games. That's why we don't see truly epic titles come out every other day like PS3, instead we got that really addictive and epic and graphically gorgeous title maybe once a year or something.

10. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

I must be the only one who thinks this but the iPhone version of SFIV is ugly as hell. I paid $10 for it when it was originally released and deleted it the second Street Fighter 2 Turbo became available in Capcom Arcade. If I'm going to play a Street Fighter game I'd much rather play a real one and not deal with ugly poly models over a low resolution static screenshot.

11. lurtz6

lurtz6 Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    That is not what I am trying to say. I am simply expressing my distress at the fact that some of the best iOS games ever are not getting their proper dues.

What do you mean by that? All the games I listed were great examples of what a good iPhone games should be.

Thank you. That is exactly my feelings.

12. Moarite

Moarite Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    It seems the case, but i don't think people will just play cheaper games all the time and sooner or later they'll turn to higher-quality ones once they've got tired of them.

13. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Right. Because the games that you think are the best in the App Store really are the best, and everyone else also agrees they are the best.

See? It is opinion.

I'm sure everyone wishes games that they enjoy can achieve a bit more success in the App Store, but currently it's still in a state where casual games are dominant. That's the truth.

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #14 MidianGTX, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
    Meh, enjoy your opinion. All I'm seeing is Gameloft, crappy virtual controls and a bunch of games that exist in vastly superior formats. What makes an iPhone game great is avoiding all of that and being good because it plays to the iPhone's strengths; not riding the popularity of an IP, not "making do" with sub-par controls because there's no other option, not being a clone of a better game because people are desperate to play console games during their school lunch break when they could just play it at home on a console.

15. lurtz6

lurtz6 Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Im just trying to show my opinion, yes, it is my opinion, and thank all the forum members for acknowledging these good games. If you don't think they are good, that's your problem.

16. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

LOL!

So you're saying that anyone who doesn't agree with you has a problem? Really?

Get over yourself.

17. ZEROFACES

ZEROFACES Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Househusband & Musician.
    Ripbum, Canada (seriously)
    ^ My thoughts exactly :p

18. Vee

Vee Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in your imagination
    Mortal Kombat FTW. But that aside, I've never actually noticed that! Interesting point.

19. Gamerl01

Gamerl01 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Cleaning restrooms at the local strip club
    Houston, Texas
    Why can't people buy a game that is actually good versus a game that is cheaper and is not good?

20. alyfantis

alyfantis Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Hokkaido, Japan
    Because the casual gamers that make up the majority of the app store's customer base don't read reviews before they make their purchases and buy primarily on name recognition, popularity, and price.

The one thing about the app store that REALLY makes me doubt the future of the human race is the continuing popularity of those "fingerprint scanner" and "cell phone tracer" apps. The most popular ones top the charts and get thousands of reviews from buyers who clearly didn't read the descriptions before purchasing. (And completely overestimate the capabilities of the iPhone.)

It's bad for the app store climate that Apple lets these apps, and the thousands of other shovelware programs, through their validation process.

At least the inferior games that the OP are actual GAMES, with some play value. And we shouldn't overlook the fact that the app store has made success stories out of dozens of indie studios--look at Tiny Wings, and even Angry Birds and Doodle Jump, for example--even though it's harder than ever now to get a hit if you don't have a massive marketing budget.