Galactic Keep by Gilded Skull Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gildedskull, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Also: They took time out to that awesome SpongeBob Marbles & Slides game which I hope made them a decent amount of cash! :)

I'm for them taking all the time they need to finish this - they probably just have a few more streams to levitate first...

2. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Well, it's not like they've been treated unfairly here, either. This title has gotten a lot of love for being nothing more than an idea, including a front-page mention: http://toucharcade.com/?p=13058

Also, I can pick just about any page of this thread and find a "we're making great progress!" quote from GS ... so, yes, at some point, I become skeptical. When does "progress" turn into "product"?

I guess this sort of early announcement has two sides to it. On the one hand, you might garner some attention, generate some buzz, and ramp up the anticipation. On the other hand, if two full years go by, you might find yourself the target of some criticism and skepticism.

I do agree completely with what you said about the playing field changing. A lot has changed since the summer of 2009 — new iOS releases, new hardware, the gigantic growth of the App Store, etc. Not to mention the introduction of the iPad (April of 2010). It's fair to wonder how the GS guys are going to respond to all of that.

3. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    That was my thought, I mean in that time there was also the release of the iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4 with their retina displays. So all the artwork/ui has to be redone to take that into account. Then there was the release of iOS 3, then iOS 4, and soon iOS 5... It's gotta be hard to bug test a game this big when the core OS is a moving target.

I'm really hoping the renewed interest in tweeting means they are back working on the game which is all I care about. The silence is what kills me

4. gildedskull

gildedskull Well-Known Member

...attributed to none other than Steve Jobs!

Yep, we get it.

Maybe we aren't 'real' artists, but we're artists.

The hard part seems to be making sure it's interesting and that it's truly fun to play. The harder part is being able to make a living developing games that we 'want' to create. We want this game. It's taking longer than we ever expected to make it. As noted, the platform is certainly a "moving target", we will want to release the game on iPad and on iPhone (all resolutions)...but that's not the main reason for the hold up (at the moment). Mostly this comes down to other projects taking $ priority.

Sorry about the wait...there will be more waiting to come. We'll keep you updated on progress.

5. gildedskull

Wearing it like a Mask

[​IMG]

6. Liquidfox

Liquidfox Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 13, 2010
    Yeah cuz with lack interest in this game I'm sure it's not gonna make and dough.

:rolleyes:

7. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    The difference is that they get the money from their other projects up front (or at least a soon as the project is complete), versus having to wait for this to actually sell on the app store.

8. farnsworthiness

farnsworthiness Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    While it has been a while since the game concept and initial art was announced, I'll still be waiting it out for this one to get released. It's not easy to get a game developed, let alone released, especially on your own nickel.

If you fellas need anything to help get this out the door (testing, art, pizza, beer), let me know and I'll see what I can do.

9. Puce Moose

Puce Moose Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    I like the art style in this one quite a bit. I'm also heartened to hear that it will have a story with NPC conversations, maps to explore, etc. So many card/board games that I run across feature nothing but moving via menu from battle to battle. I crave that exploration/conversation element as well!

Good luck with the development and here's hoping you guys are able to release it this year.

10. Avarid

Avarid Member

Jun 12, 2011
    I cannot wait for this game? Is there any news, Gilded Skull folks? I need more info! :D

11. mikeflat

mikeflat Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Galactic Keep is superb!!!

I love the graphic style in Galactic Keep, really a good game to play on iPhone. I have iPhone 4 and i used to play the skill games generally. Keen to find some very good games for my mind refreshment.

12. silentdante

silentdante Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2009
    florida
    wow, i first got my iphone 3 1/2 years ago and this was one of the games i was most looking forward to getting, and now it's still not out? I would still love to pick it up, is it still being made or was this game scrapped?

13. Liquidfox

Liquidfox Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 13, 2010
    Gonna guess that this is not coming out this year.

Since the GS website is pretty stale my guess is that they have moved on to other things.

:(

14. vicente.ramirezch

vicente.ramirezch Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 8, 2009
    Santiago, Chile.
    Really hope this game comes out in 2012.

15. banger1103

banger1103 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Game looks awesome! If you ever need beta testers, count me in!

16. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
  17. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Amen to that.

18. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    #419 mekanikal fiend, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
    after 2 1/2 years, it would be great if this was finally released. looks to be great.

19. gildedskull

#420 gildedskull, May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
    A new gk!

We thought it was about time for an update on where we are with Galactic Keep.

Upon finishing Skull Smasher (which is going Universal this week btw, coming to iPhone) we started back to work on Galactic Keep. It's been over two years since we announced Galactic Keep. We've developed four complete iOS games (one of which was never released...) since then, five if you include 'Imp or Oaf'.

We've learned a lot.

As we began to work on Galactic Keep again, we made the (huge) decision to start the development over. We are taking what we have done to this point, taking what we've learned in the past couple years, taking all the notes on what we wanted to add to the game and all the new code and art we've created and we're folding them into a fresh take.

Galactic Keep is still a dungeon crawling, table-top styled, RPG adventure. Don't worry.

The main changes involve how the game is presented, how the game looks, feels and plays. We want it to be a universal app, it needed to support retina displays.

We've been (re)developing for about a month now and we will continue to post our progress here so check back for new information.

Right now we're working on the map editor. Maps will be larger than we had originally planned, more varied and will have 'adventure-style' puzzles to complete within them...more on that later.

Here's a first taste of the new version:

[​IMG]

Thanks for your patience.

Rob