Clearing app updates you don't want

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by DJCaseyD, Aug 24, 2011.

1. DJCaseyD

DJCaseyD Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    This may be a stupid question, but is there a good way to clear your app update list in iTunes? I have about 10 apps now that I don't want to update (such as Uno for example) because the reviews of the update are generally bad. Other than just having those sitting in my app updates screen, is there any way to hide them until such time that I actually want to update? I hate having an extra 10 apps sitting there when I might have another 40 that have updates I'll actually download. I don't want to have to search through the list finding the ones I don't want to update. Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks

2. chinarut

chinarut New Member

Aug 25, 2011
    you make total sense and +1 here. I just put my 2 cents here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

I, too, have a ton of apps I just tried because they were free and realized they were just garbage. (or in some cases, paid for apps that were stopgaps that aren't needed anymore - nothing against them - they served their purpose)

some peeps have this "privacy" thing going on - for me, it's not that - I, like you, want to get the fluff out of view & stop receiving updates I don't need or want.

of course, there should be a way to reenable or perhaps even switch to a view of "ignored/hidden updates" and perhaps reenable any apps that may have indeed gotten a facelift and worth trying again. I'd do that once every other month or something.

3. Capsizing Heart

Capsizing Heart Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Student.
    Transient.
    +1

To add to this, I'd also like an easier way to view on my iPhone what exactly I get in the update, because even reviews aside, some of the stuff updates add like 'A NEW IAP', why would I want that unless I truly loved the game? And so if I wanna see what I'm getting, I have to go in and out of the apps and the app store over and over and when I have like twenty new updates to look at a time, this is a surprisingly time consuming task.

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I usually back up the original IPA file to another location, then download the update, delete the updated IPA and then put the original back. ;)

5. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Here's an Idea..... Delete the rubbish apps you don't want to update.....

Problem solved!

6. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    I don't think he would ask this question of the apps in question are rubbish...

Anyway, I really wish Apple would give the ability to "Ignore" an update. The next time you check for updates, it'll show up again. Simple.

Or at least just an option within the App Store app to turn off badges.

7. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Hmm, that would work if he wanted the apps gone. Apparently he wants certain apps at their current state and doesn't want iTunes to continuously point out that he has an awaiting update.

I have like 10 currently waiting for my approval to update but I haven't for whatever reasons. I'd like them in a hidden state as well kuz as it is, I have to actively keep track of updates I am waiting on and I'd like to have them separated if possible. No biggie though for me.

8. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    I'm all for this.
    As an example, Chaos Rings just released an update that adds the Japanese voices to the game but also adds about 400 mb to the size of the file. Now, I could care less about having the voices, and, though I want to keep the game, it's a bit of a hassle to download a 700mb file on my fairly slow DSL connection. So the update is just going to sit there. I don't really want it. And, if sometime I'm presented with several updates that I DO want, I won't be able to use the "update all" feature unless I want to get that enormous Chaos Rings update clogging up the process.
    It's no big deal, but it IS sometimes a nuisance.

9. DJCaseyD

Apr 6, 2010
    Usually they're good apps with rubbish updates unfortunately.

10. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Another good example: Maple Story Thief Edition recently cut in-game music almost completely out to get under 20 MB to hit impulse 3G buyers. Not wanting to lose my music, I'm staying at the older version. Many other games have added advertisements as an "update" as well. :mad:

11. DJCaseyD

Apr 6, 2010
    Exactly.

12. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Another good example is Puzzle Agent. The update was released months ago but I never updated because it deletes your save and progress.

13. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    I could not agree with you all TAers more on this.
    Apple delivers, but it ensures that it gives what we want in the 5th or 6th installment & we are so enchanted that we end up buying a good 2 to 3 versions of the same product!

14. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    You guys took the words out of my mouth. I have 172 updates as of now:D

Yeah, I should probably sort some out huh

15. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    I had like 100 before. And I got way too lazy until recently. But, I still have 56 updates to go and not gonna update them for awhile... :)

16. jumpman475

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Yeah, sometimes it's just too much of a hassle to hand-pick the ones I want so I just say forget it and go back to playing Aralon or whatever else I'm enjoying at the moment.

17. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Lol. Too busy with Contre Jour and Sprinkle and soon to be Jetpack Joyride (I almost put Machine Gun Jetpack :D)!!!

18. jumpman475

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Teehee. To me Machine Gun Jetpack sounds way more badass, but I can't say much because I haven't actually played the game. Maybe Jetpack Joyride goes better with how the game actually feels.

...ehh now I'm thinking too much. Back to waiting for MC3 and the zillion other awesome games coming out soon:D

19. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    They renamed it Jetpack Joyride because they added more jetpacks than just a machine gun jetpack. That`s why they couldn`t really name it Machine Gun Jetpack as it doesn`t really respresent what the game actually is. But, yeah Machine Gun Jetpack sounds way better since Jetpack Joyride sounds like a pretty princess game with jetpacks...

MC3 will be AWESOME!! :D

20. jumpman475

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Oh, that makes sense. Pretty princess for sure tho.

...maybe they should name it Jetpack Deathride...

...yeah maybe not:D