free app a day

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by nuclearhipster, Apr 11, 2012.

1. nuclearhipster

nuclearhipster Active Member

Mar 27, 2012
    has any one used the service free app a day for 3500 bucks just wanders if it was worth it. they say they can get your game out to 7 million poeple. just wandered if anyone had experience with it.

2. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Pretty sure that's "up to" 7 million. Our experience had less than 5% of that.

3. metalbean

metalbean Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2012
    never tried, but I hear people say it's not very worth it.

4. Renegadecitizen

Renegadecitizen Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    5% of 7million is 350,000 downloads
    most freemium games convert about 1%
    that equals 3500
    so I'd make sure u either have a good conversion rate
    or u have a hook to draw more than 350,000 downloads
    before u book FreeAppADay

5. Jamvert

Jamvert Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Canada
    You could always try looking at other games they recently featured on AppAnnie to get a vague feeling of how they do. This is what I did when they advertised to me.

6. I feel they are losing effectiveness now...

7. ultrapped

ultrapped Active Member

Nov 5, 2011
    have never tried that out but heard from most users said it does not worth it. Also now there are so many similar service, which seem have high effectiveness, out there so I cannot find a reason for me to invest 3500 bucks on this.

8. Wow, I didn't do it when it was $500. For $3500, there are better ways to spend your money.

9. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Well - yes technically you're right, but the advantage of a FAAD service is adding to your word of mouth so you're game sells more copies after it's paid again.

After our first FAAD, we saw 10 times the sales over what we had before which lasted about a week. After that week, we saw sales roughly doubled... good but not great.

Most of the other FAAD-alikes were quoting me similar prices, but were more honest about their download potential saying something along the lines of "We've seen 2 million but on average we see 100,000". We ended up with FAAD because of the higher potential ceiling. Was the choice right or wrong? I have no idea. We may promote another app with another service one day, but the FAAD(and the like) promoting days for Pickpawcket are done.

10. digitalpoke

digitalpoke Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Would suggest going for 3 Magic Shots, They are recently launched but gave us a solid response, better than what faad got us for Drop Out... shhhh... they are offering this for free o_O

11. wearepinata

wearepinata Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    iOS Game development
    Adelaide
    If I had $3500 in my marketing budget I wouldn't spend it on a service like that. You'd be better off trying other free providers and seeing how you fare with them first. We went with AppGratis who did pretty well for us. It was a free service and all we had to do was make our app free for a day. We ended up with around 35k downloads and even ended up with the number 1 free app in both Spain and Brazil (for a day). It boosted sales for the following couple of weeks but it has since settled back to normal. Nonetheless, I would recommend them.