IOS Slider that opens your....not allowed anymore.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Syndicated Puzzles, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

#1 Syndicated Puzzles, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
    We have been trying to get Lock Your Screen on OSX pass a tough reviewer.

It appears now apps aren't allowed to use the IOS slider anymore. The store has many apps using this slider to open apps so we didn't bother presuming it wasn't allowed.

Tonight we have to stay up and design a completely new slider that opens up the users screen.

The best thing we could come up with is a zipper that unzips and zips.

Anyone have a better idea? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    One of the cool things (lame I know) about the Samsung (can't remember which) was a puzzle piece that you slide from one side of the screen into its respective spot and that opened up the phone. How about something like that?

3. Syndicated Puzzles

The next problem we have is the number of spots the slider has to travel is dependent on the users password. I do like the idea of the Last piece being a destination? Resting spot.

We have changed the slider in our latest attempt from a square into a ball and it was still refused. So I am not sure if what ever we do will get passed Apple. It might be that Apple won't allow anything that slides.

So maybe having each letter of the password stop then moves to the next (choppy movement)

4. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    Are there 4 numbers for the password only? I mean max?

You could have the 9 numbers as puzzle pieces then at the bottom have a row of 4 puzzle pieces. Then you need to drag the right number of the password to the empty piece to fill it. To accommodate double digit or repeating digits in a password, the piece could re-appear if used from the original 9.

So it would be something like:

1 2 3
    4 5 6
    7 8 9

E E E E

(ok my formatting got ruined by the post but its all centered to each other)

5. Syndicated Puzzles

NEGamer
    You are presuming the user is highly intelligent, we have given up on that notion.
    The slider is about the level we need to duplicate. Anything more sophisticated and we will have to answer hundreds of emails helping people reset their passwords.

A Password with 9 letters needs 9 spots. Yes

6. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    Sorry! I tried!

7. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    i don't quite understand the purpose.. what exactly are you locking and why do you need an special app for it? its for desktop osx right? not mobile?

in snow leopard you can right click on your user icon and choose login window for fast user switching or just locking your computer (while your apps still run).. reentering your pw unlocks the computer again

is it something like this?

8. Syndicated Puzzles

Hopefully Today..

mr. Ugly,

Lock Your Screen basically is a management system for your Mac when it it in Lock mode.

When you lock your computer what happens next is more of a statement. Slideshow, trap to catch unauthorized users, Player for iTunes on top of the locked screen, slideshow, dimmer, weather, time ... etc.

We were rejected again for the slider even though we created something very different than the IOS slider. We tried again with a new concept let us see what happens. It looks like Apple might not want anything that moves from A to B in a straight line. Hopefully it will approved today. It has been a tough ride to say the least.

I was hoping to take a screenshot of the slider but the app works and I can't take the image I wanted. The image I am showing is the 9 dot choice.

Attached Files:

9. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Well if i recall right they got recently the patent on the slider to unlock mechanism.. Maybe thats the reason they decline such an implementation..

How about a gesture insted of a slider? Remove the slider but still kepp a straight line , similar to a loading bar but reacting to your swipes position.. So it unlocks when the bar is fully loaded/glowing whatever

10. Syndicated Puzzles

Aha so that makes sense now.

What we did is put a closed lock on one side and an open lock on the destination side.

You start out from the locked lock and move towards the open lock. We made sure the animation was different as well. No idea what Apple is looking for to differenciate between their slider and others. Always so tough when you are searching in the dark.

11. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

I think you might be out of luck with the slider idea for now. Mr. Ugly is right, while they did receive the patent (and in turn haved sued just about every Android maker for patent infringement because of it, despite prior art), I don't think they're going to let anyone get away with making a slide to unlock no matter who it's for. Well at least until the ridiculous the patent lawsuits are settled.

The only thing I can think of might be using a pattern. Similar to the grid New England Gamer used, but making your own pattern to unlock it.