Ipad 4 vs Ipad air for gaming?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ipodrocks123, Mar 24, 2014.

1. ipodrocks123

ipodrocks123 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    I want to upgrade from my ipad 2 finally. I still play some older games. Just wondering what would be the best? Ipad 4 would be cheaper. I really don't know what to do. Thanks for the help.

2. ToonuvaGames

ToonuvaGames Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Game Developer
    Burlington, Vermont.
    As a dev, the Airs weight and overall slimmer profile is a nice upgrade for active users. However if it's just an accessory device then might not be worth it.

3. ipodrocks123

Jul 19, 2009
    I use my ipad as my primary device. More than just games. Lots of web and email and doing lots of other stuff with utility apps.

4. ToonuvaGames

Oct 15, 2012
    Game Developer
    Burlington, Vermont.
    Nice to hear others using ipad as primary too!! If you can, head to a best buy or apple store and compare. Personally I found the upgrades well worth the marginal increase in cost.

5. ipodrocks123

Jul 19, 2009
    I just don't know if a iPad air would be worth the 100 dollars more. I do like that it has 64 bit CPU. I just don't know.

6. thegraywolf

thegraywolf Active Member

Feb 3, 2014
    I do not own any of the two but I'm planning to buy one in the future.. I hope someone will provide a more detailed comparison. I'm planning to use the device primarily to play games :D

7. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    And if you are going to buy (or have one local), check out microcenter, they always have sales.

8. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    That 64-bit CPU is not being utilized at its full potential because it requires minimum 4gb of RAM to show its true power. The iPad air & iPhone 5s only have 1gb of RAM. Right now it is a gimmick (future proofed for next model ihardware)

9. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    iPad Air all the way. I have owned iPad 3 and 4 before i got the Air.

The air is future proof and is faster in general.

10. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

#10 killercow, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    I've owned both an iPad 4 and an iPad air (that I'm currently using).

The iPad Air is lighter, the form factor is better and it's simply a device that you can hold for longer periods of time. Because you're upgrading from an iPad 2 this is important as the iPad 4 is heavier than your second generation device.

Now it's also true that the iPad 4 performs a bit better in everyday tasks. The 64bits Cpu found in the air is using more ram and you can't have a lot of tabs open. Your air will crash from time to time and multitasking will be limited, forcing you to reload your tabs and games. This is quite annoying and one of the biggest disappointment with the latest iPad. This is compensated by a faster cpu but still, Apple could have added more Ram...

Finally there's one thing that might surprise you with the air. The screen is... Different. When you tap it it feels less resistant and more "plastic". It's a bit weird at first but you'll get used to it eventually. That's one of the trade-off they had to make in order to get that bezel smaller.

I'd say go with the Air because it's future proof but personally I'd wait for this year's iPad which will hopefully have a lot more ram.

11. killercow

Yeah it's weird because you notice it right away. I still have my old iPad 1st gen and the feeling you get when you touch the screen is totally different. And it's not just me, I've had several persons try it and they can all feel the difference.

12. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Myself having upgraded from the 1st gen ipad to the Air can completely agree with this. Was so noticeable my 1st week but until reading this again, I had completely forgotten after that 1st week! :)

On another note: Why/how is the Air future proof? I don't see how it won't be obsolete in 3 years just like all the previous gens...

13. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    This is all iOS 7 bugs but yes they should add more dedicated ram.

14. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    64 bit CPU. Although it runs with only 1GB RAM, which totally defeats the purpose.

As another guy said, wait for iPad 2014...

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    If the price difference isnt a big deal, there is no contest. iPad Air wins this comparison in every criteria except price, which is offset by the better hardware anyways.

16. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    iPad 2014 will still be osbsolete by iPad 2017...
    Maybe I'm understanding future proof incorrectly but unless it doesn't become obsolete, then it isn't future proof :)

17. killercow

Well future proof in Apple's World just means that it's gonna be supported for three-four years ;)

18. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    iPad Air without a doubt.

19. ToonuvaGames

Oct 15, 2012
    Game Developer
    Burlington, Vermont.
    I miss not having a Microcenter to go to after Chinese food here in Vermont..

20. ToonuvaGames

Oct 15, 2012
    Game Developer
    Burlington, Vermont.
    iPad Pro will probably be ridiculously awesome. Hopefully it will help us pump out even better 3d graphics! :)