How to make Quality Graphics

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by pcmaster, Dec 6, 2009.

1. pcmaster

pcmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Ok i have a pretty simple question, How do you make quality graphics like the ones in pocket god or flight control? I know that you can make graphics via pixel art or vector art but is this just really good pixel art or is there another style to doing good graphics? also if you want to know i use gimp as my main editor but i can't get anything good other then logos in gimp. is there a better tool and just how do you do great art?
    Thanks a ton!

2. hardcoregamer

hardcoregamer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
  3. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    How do you make good art? That's pretty simple to answer. Be a good artist.

Gimp is simply a tool, which is no better than Photoshop, MS Paint, or even a drawing with a stick in the dirt. The artist behind the tools is what really matters.

4. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    You have to be a good artist to make a great game, but Photoshop is DEFINITELY better than MS Paint, just gotta say it. :D lol

5. pcmaster

Nov 18, 2009
    lol ok i guess i suck at graphics.

6. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    Surprising as it is, i think hes right. Im taking a college class in design right now and most of the classes require Photoshop and/or Illustrator

7. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    Yay!

8. pcmaster

Nov 18, 2009
    totally untrue
    you have to have good graphics to have a game. you can hire people :) lol

9. RankoSao

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    Okay, that was like the worst reaction ever... my opinion of you drops constantly

10. pcmaster

Nov 18, 2009
    #10 pcmaster, Dec 6, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
    wait but what style is it. a mix of vector and pixel?

11. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    #11 Flickitty, Dec 6, 2009
    Okay, first of all, let me tell you that what you learn in college for design (Graphic Design?) isn't real life. What you do in your college course is SO FAR removed from reality that it isn't even funny.

The tools do not matter.

What Design SHOULD be teaching you is the elements of design, typography, color, line, composition, flow, impact, contrast... the basics. They should not be teaching nor promoting any single application other than 'it is a tool for your disposal'.

A lot of professional designers use PhotoShop. That does not mean that PhotoShop users are professionals. Those people would be talented artists regardless of the tools- they just happen to prefer PhotoShop.

I use PaintShop Pro 6.0 (from 2000). You would be pretty hard pressed to explain to me exactly WHY I should be using PhotoShop for my work.

If you happen to work for a Graphic Design Studio, it is very likely that they will use PhotoShop (in fact CS3 or CS4 as a whole). However, those tools can be learned in less than a week, which is why any GD course shouldn't be spending too much time TEACHING PhotoShop, they should be teaching DESIGN.

I'm actually disappointed that you even suggested that hardcoregamer might be correct. As a designer yourself, you should know the hard work that goes into design and art. Why the hell are you spending money on a design course if all you need is PhotoShop?

12. RankoSao

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    #12 RankoSao, Dec 6, 2009
    Im actually not a designer yet. Im taking this class because i lack art skills. My end goal is to get a job in a video game company, and this is the only chance i can see for myself. Sorry if i offended you :/ You would be correct, they are mainly focused on teaching design elements, but i do see Photoshop in the class requirements list a lot

13. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    Thanks man, you've always got my back.

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Pocket God looks like it was done with vector graphics, but probably converted to raster when they're put into the build anyway. Flight control looks like raster.

Not that it makes a difference, if you're skilled enough it shouldn't be noticeable so I could be completely wrong.

15. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    If I remember correctly, the creators of PocketGod worked a lot in Flash before moving to iPhone. So you might be correct that vector was the original format, then converted to raster. Unless they actually use a vector-based engine- I haven't checked.

Flight Control looks like vector as well (for the original format), but as you stated, it really doesn't matter. The people behind both games are obviously talented.

16. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    What is art exactly? Or better yet, what is YOUR idea of art?

So are you taking Graphic Design, or are enrolled in a Video Game Design course?

17. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Hire a good graphic designer / illustrator, depending whether you need a good user interface and overall identity or just background illustration, etc.

Hire a pro whenever possible as they'll know what they're doing.

18. RankoSao

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    Graphic Design,currently. Art is whatever you do to be creative.. it could be drawings, paintings, sculptures, logos, or even things like music and stories, in the broad sense of the word.

19. pcmaster

Nov 18, 2009
    Yea i will probably hire one of my friends though. he's ok at graphics and he doesn't charge that much

20. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Yeah that is pretty broad. And yet you don't feel that you are good at any of it? I wonder what you are basing your comparison on.

I actually got my start in Graphic Design, and it can open a lot of opportunities in many industries. I'm not sure if Graphic Design could help you secure a job with a video game company, but a strong design background certainly doesn't hurt.

I've never worked for a video game company, I have only done video games on my own. I prefer it that way.

Also, I have never met a person who works in the gaming industy that went to school for Game Design (Art). I'm not saying they don't exist, I have just never met such a person. Most designers I have met came from Graphic Design, Illustration or Fine Art background.

I hope you end up doing what you want to do- just keep at it.