The Quest - Which Expansions

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by undeadcow, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Catacomber

Catacomber Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    http://www.zaristagames.com/
    NYC
    It's dreadful and snowy here too in New York City but worse in Chicago -- and elsewhere---HOLV is tropical compared to HOLIV---you should have fun!

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #22 undeadcow, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
    Updated to add information about Celtic Rift expansion.

Is it safe to say that Celtic Rift and Cursed Chess Set should best be played with separate characters? Due to both being low level epansions I assume completion of one would level up beyond recommended level for the other, correct?

3. Cursed Chess Set can be played with your character from the base Quest game. For Celtic Rift, you should start a new one because it's going to be a series (hopefully a long one!) starting at level one.

4. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Any idea when the next expansion post-Celtic Rift is due?

5. Catacomber

Catacomber Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    http://www.zaristagames.com/
    NYC
    We're working on Horde II and we will for the first time try to have a Companion Guide--an FAQ for Horde II. : ) If it's appreciated, we'll do more. What would you like to have in an FAQ? A place for your notes? : )

6. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Added Mithril Horde II to original post; I understand that is level 35+ unless you are playing standalone.

7. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Added Elemental Asteroids.

Also Celtic Rift and Celtic Queen were previously added.

8. xraydash

xraydash Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Thanks for the handy reference. I just started playing this last week so I'm sure it'll come in handy down the line.

9. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I feel like jumping back in this but wouldn't mind starting with a new character level 1.

Can anyone here recommend Celtic rift? Any good? I've only ever played the original game.

10. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I enjoyed Celtric Rift, it starts more "mystical" that the base game.

11. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    #31 HansKaosu, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    Here is the full list of expansions and lever requirements i put together.

The Quest Gold (Lv 1~)(New character) (Includes Island of Ice and Fire, Hero of Lukomorye I and Hero of Lukomorye II)
    --
    The Quest (Lv 1~)(New character)
    The Quest: Celtic Rift (Lv 1~)(New character)
    The Quest: Cursed Chess Set (Lv 1~16)
    The Quest: Islands of Ice & Fire (Lv 14~)
    The Quest: Elemental Asteroids (Lv 17~)
    The Quest: Hero of Lukomorye I - Siege of Zlatograd (Lv 22~)
    The Quest: Hero of Lukomorye II: Tainted Blood (Lv 32~)
    The Quest: Celtic Queen (Lv 35~)
    The Quest: Mithril Horde (Lv 35~)
    The Quest: Mithril Horde II (Lv 35~)
    The Quest: Hero of Lukomorye III: Stormy Seas (Lv 38~)
    The Quest: Escape from Asteroids (Lv 40~)
    The Quest: Hero of Lukomorye IV: Death to the Deathless (Lv 45~)
    The Quest: Lost Archipelagos (Lv 45~)
    The Quest: Attack from Asteroids (Lv 58~)
    The Quest: Hero of Lukomorye V: Island of Buyan (Lv 61~)
    The Quest: Celtic Doom (Lv 75~)

12. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Thanks. I added Celtic Doom and HoL V to the original post with credit.

13. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    So i have celtic quest ... Is "the quest" necessairy to buy or will i be happy to start from celtic quest to late expansion for fully experience? Or will i miss the story?... And if i would continue 2 start with celtic first and then the quest ... Will it be 2 easy?...

14. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #34 undeadcow, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    You can play any expansion standalone but to use the same character across expansions you need to purchase the base game (The Quest or The Quest Gold) and enable expansions within that. So playing stand-alone expansions will only allow you to access only that expansions content/segment (versus using the base game to add expansions creating a patchwork larger continuous open world).
    There's not way to play The Quest and all expansions with one character because it would become over-leveled but you can chose to follow quests/expansions in any order. There are three Celtic expansions - Celtic Rift, Celtic Queen, and Celtic Doom intended to compromise a plot thread. So it's possible to just roam around questing and fighting ignoring plot but probably best to play in that order if you want to really seek a continuous story. Same with the HoL material and some other expansions linked together in "subsets."
    If you do work from the base game then it's possible to get over-level by acquiring experience from one area to the next (i.e. Cursed Chess Set is an entry level expansion, so playing it could over-power you if you return to start of vanilla). Check out the original post for a guide on which expansions are recommended for which level to see that you don't get overpowered for one playing the other (which is only a "problem" if they are all linked together through the base game).