Marketing Tone

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Hobbsicle, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Hobbsicle

Hobbsicle Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Hey guys,

I wanted to get your opinion about whether the tone in marketing materials should necessarily all match the tone of the game itself.

Specifically, I've been making a science fiction game (quite slowly, I might add) that is fairly serious in tone and has a relatively "hard" sci-fi plot (I mean, there's time travel, so I use the term somewhat loosely). Now to be sure, a good portion of my marketing would match this. I certainly would make my app description and website largely match that tone. However, I had some ideas for some trailers that were more comical (one involves "interviewing" some famous time-travelers about what they think about the game), and wondered if this would be a good way to bring a light-hearted tone into my marketing approach, or if it would just tend to confuse people as to the nature and tone of the game itself.

Any thoughts, or examples where someone has done this type of thing already?

2. Ironcode

Ironcode Active Member

Oct 23, 2013
    India
    I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    Just go with your inspiration!

3. Hobbsicle

Hobbsicle Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Thanks, it's funny how decisions can sometimes seem like big ones in your mind when you have to make them, but by your answer and the overall silence of the thread, I guess it's probably not a big deal. Or if it is, I'll let you guys know after the fact ;)