Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 for iPhone?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by weehoo, Nov 29, 2010.

1. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    I'm not sure how others may feel about this, but RCT3 needs to come to iOS. If there is a significant demand for this game, somebody will eventually acquire the legal rights to publish and port it.

Why?

Of all the games I was thinking of from the past, the RC tycoon series was honestly the best game I had ever played. I gave it deep thought and realized that I had put more time into RCT3 than any of the other game i've ever played. I would literally spend the entire night until sunrise building my version of "space mountain" and "thunder mountain" with tracks splashing through waterfalls and twisting through themed caves and old wooden buildings.

Aircoaster did a phenomenal job bringing an editor that is about as real as "No Limits Roller coaster" for the PC. If that is possible, then maybe,,,,, just maybe, they could port a full version of RCT3 for iOS. Or even an optimized version that would allow for downloads of community-created mods, in the same manner as Aircoaster's track-sharing option.

Could this even be possible? Or is this just wishful thinking?

2. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    It's possible, but sadly it's not very likely. I'd also love to see a Zoo Tycoon for iOS. I used to love that game.

3. krisko6

krisko6 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    College Student, Intern at an engineering company.
    Bakersfield, CA
    Honestly, I HATED RCT 3. The requirements were ludicrous for a mass-market audience at the time, and it didn't feel quite as fun or as tight as the first two RCT games by Chris Sawyer. No way can RCT 3 be ported. Although the iPhone may be able to handle a single 3D rolercoaster, there's no way it could pull off multiple rollercoasters and additional rides running all at once in full 3D. but it would be neat to see them port one of the older RCT games.

4. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Well maybe not literally a full port - the graphics could be dumbed down a bit and the amount of rides restricted to a certain amount. But it's probably still possible for 4th/5th gen devices.

5. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    I understand your point about the requirements. My 15", 2.4 gig Macbook Pro still struggles with framerate when i'm creating a highly detailed and massive park. However, this only happens with graphics on the highest settings. It needs a pretty decent system even by today's standards to use its full potential, and it's a 6-year old game.

However, I can't quite understand why you felt that the third version wasn't a fun game. RCT3 was fairly similar to RCT2, with the exception that you could actually ride the coasters. Not to mention the enormous, dedicated, mod community that expanded the game beyond anything the developers could have ever dreamed. Just look up "RCT3 Imagineer" on youtube and you'll see very realistic and heavily-themed rides that make disneyland look like a petting zoo. ;0 ???.

I'd settle for RCT2, but why not go the full mile and do the best in the series, with the "mod-download-option" that I described in the original thread. That would be 'genius'.