Has anyone bought the crazy cheap iphone accesories on meritline.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by wikoogle, Jun 12, 2009.

1. wikoogle

wikoogle Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    For $10, I picked up a 3 pack of screen protectors, a car charger, a phone protector shell, a dock and everything is free shipping... :D

http://www.meritline.com/iphone-3g-clear-screen-film-010---p-28908.aspx

I'm just wondering if anyone else has used the site before for iPhone stuff. I bought several cheap accesories for my Wii from them and they all work great. So I'm hopeful.

2. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    you get what you pay for... I would rather shell out a couple extra dollars and get quality accessories than pay for lesser quality stuff.

3. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    Screen protectors and cases are just pieces of molded plastic, no tech inside them. It baffles me that people get away with charging $25 and $60 for them respectively.

I bought several accesories from meritline. All have worked fantastically.

I bought a wireless IR sensor bar for the wii, two battery paks and a a battery recharge kit for the wii mote, and remote wheels. All combined cost me $13 to order shipped and all work great.

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Because Happy Meal toys are also made out of carbon fiber reinforced polymer. Plastic isn't plastic, genius.

5. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    If you don't think $60 for an iphone case is price gouging, I don't know what to tell you. Seriously, I guarentee you that the case costs them no more than $3 to make.

It's the same with shoes. Those $100 Air Jordan's that people buy all the time cost Nike no more than $2 to make. This has actually been proven through leaks.

Most of the rest is pure profit. So if I can buy a near identical shell for $8 from overseas, I'm going to.

6. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    both of you guys have a good point.
    Carbon fibre reinforced plastic is better than basic silicon plastic, one assumes. but what you don't know is how much C they need to give it a rating, for all you know it might be enough to include the natural occurance of Carbon in anything! I mean, who gives it the label?? the company that make their money. I too will stand back and let you dish out your 60 bucks on something that you have no real knowing of it's success rate. Sure there might be reviews, but who reviews the cheapies? not often.

on the other hand, if the case is proven to be orgasmicly good in protecting something for the odd occasion then yes it's worth your money. I'll bet my left nut that there are 60 dollar cases out there made of worse material than you'll get with a 10 dollar one. And if not, I'll make one to prevent surgery.

7. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    #7 wikoogle, Jun 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
    That statement is so true it's not even funny. People automatically assume that the more expensive stuff is higher quality. You have absolutely no way of knowing that this is the case. Nike/Reebok seriously spend no more than $2 to manufacture any of their shoes, they simply spend money on marketing and mark them up excessively. Similarly, the much cheaper dell laptop my brother bought ended up being better designed, and faster and more responsive than the macbook pro that I bought!

People have a psychological desire to justify the money they paid on something. So the more someone paid on soemthing, the more they're going to convince themselves that it was worht the money, even if it should be obvious to them that it wasn't.

I compare them myself, and failing that, go by independent reviews to decide quality.

But in this case, with meritline selling them sooooo insanely cheap, with free shipping, and me having had bought products from them before that I'm 100% happy with, and the cases having great user reviews, I saw no reason not to take the leap.

8. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    It's marketing, what're you gonna do? And yes, while it costs $2 to manufacture them, you're forgetting the overhead costs. You have the design team, the marketing, the shops, the web sites, and employees that they have to pay. It goes beyond just a $2. And hey, they're a business, they're made to make money. If you can find a better deal that's of the same quality, sure, go for it, just make sure it's legitimate.

And speaking of marketing, what the heck's up with your last paragraph? It's like your trying to promote it... well, obviously you are, but you promote it as if you were the owner.

9. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    no i don't have anything to do with the site imo.

but i do like that finally sites are popping up that selll goods for about what they actually cost them to make, instead of blowing a huge wad of cash on marketing and marking the products up ridiciulous amounts.

10. learjetzoom

learjetzoom Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Anyone bought anything here? Seems too good to be true, but worth a shot at < $4.99 for most accessories.

11. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009

What you consider quality is up to you...but to say a Dell laptop is better designed than a MacBook just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not going to argue that Apple products are overpriced....because they are. But quality is there as well, and I think design is one of the strong points in Apple prodcuts (at least the ones that I've tried) versus their competitors.

12. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    perhaps compare a dell to a rubbish bin, and a Mac to the pre-built PC market leaders like HP, toshiba and Asus. A case is a case, but a computer is not a rubbish bin.

Dell may lead in numbers, but that's because they are cheap and shitty.

13. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yesterday I bought some really cheap in-ear earphones that are made to look like official Apple ones. They were only £2.50 ($4), so I don't really have much to lose if they are crap (which I am expecting). But if they are good, then I will have a good place to buy these earphones for barely any money, as I am constantly needing to replace my earphones.

[​IMG]

14. Crypton

Crypton Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    I've just ordered 5 of those screen protectors for $3,99 (~2,90 €), thanks to this thread.

My first one was an extra expensive one which claimed to be extra hard and such and was about 5,- € alone!
    But the very moment I tried to attach it to my iPod Touch it got a nice deep scratch in it. So I'm not paying anymore more than necessary for these....

15. Phil_Synowiec

Phil_Synowiec Well-Known Member

just ordered a 10 pack of screen protectors for $8, planning to sell em off to dumb friends for $10 each :D

16. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Wow! You are too kind of a friend. :rolleyes:

17. Phil_Synowiec

Phil_Synowiec Well-Known Member

18. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    The accessories sure are cheap, but shipping is $25 for me apparently.

19. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Where do you live?!?! :eek:

20. wikoogle

Jun 10, 2009
    Make sure you're selecting the free shipping option during checkout. I live in the us and everything I get has free shipping. How they manage to ship me a screen protector I paid a $1 for total, free of charge to Ohio from Hong Kong I have no idea. But they did and it was far better than I ever expected.