True Skate [Universal] by True Axis

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by luketrueaxis, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luketrueaxis

luketrueaxis Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Game Development (Managing Director of True Axis)
    Melbourne, Australia
    #1 luketrueaxis, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  2. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    OMFG. Any game by True Axis is a definite instabuy.

Is this game similar to TouchGrind?

3. flameon

flameon Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Jet car stunts 2 going on?

Sorry if its rude.

4. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yep, kind of similar to TouchGrind, but with much better controls, and with a camera angle that lets you see where your going, a beautiful looking skate park.

Yep, its still moving along. Hopefully release a video of the level editor in the next couple weeks some time.

5. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    Whoa. This sounds awesome! I love skateboarding games and True Axis games, so sounds like a perfect combination! Guessing it'll be a while before release, but I can't wait!

6. tonydeli7

tonydeli7 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Freelance Computer Engineer
    Greece
  7. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    :eek: Awesome news! :D So, which one comes out first? This or JCS2?

8. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    I'm guessing this, but we'll see LOLavi.

I'd have prefered something more like Tony Hawk but will settle for a Touchgrind variant. :) Has pricing been decided?

9. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Awesome news... I'm still waiting on a decent skater. First there was Vans Skate Pool, limited to one tiny area with awful controls; then Skater Nation which wasn't bad but wasn't great (bad controls also); then THPS2 which is great for nostalgia, but not very well transitioned to iOS.

10. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    That is a good question. We want to keep this game very simple for the first release, mostly concentrating on one nice skate park and fun controls. Could get it out quite quickly with a bit of effort, but don't want to slow down JCS2 development.

Not 100%, but it will be cheap. We are keeping it simple at launch. These days you can't charge what Touch Grind did when it was release with such little content, but the market is bigger so i guess it all evens out.

The reason I wanted to make this is mostly because I wasn't happy with any of the skate games I saw and wanted to make one that I wanted to play. It's closer to TouchGrind then those games, but, I'm already having lots of fun playing it. Just need to try to finish it off for everybody else!

JCS2 will have a lot of content at launch, but True Skate will just have the basics of a fun game. If other people have as much fun playing it as me, then we can start thinking about what we can add in updates.

11. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
  12. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    #12 Jdragoon19, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
    Nice! Really excited for this game!!!

Here's the link to the TA article: http://toucharcade.com/2012/02/20/first-screens-of-true-skate-from-jet-car-stunts-developer-true-axis/

Screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: Ahhh, arn beat me to it! But, I have pics! :)

13. AbsolutePhenom

AbsolutePhenom Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Looks good. I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

14. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Ah, I'll be following this despite having an older device.

I just like seeing what developers can come up with/produce.

15. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Awesome screens! And good move on how you are approaching the game. The genre is definitely a lot more niche, but that said, people who are into this genre will surely lap it up. Do try and not keep it too meagre. The gamers here or on facebook, etc. will communicate with you what sort of updates they want. While the majority gamers who do not do that, will simply leave a 1-star review. Just my 2 cents.

Have never skateboarded in my life or played a video game of one, but will surely be taking this to support true axis. JCS and Space Tripper are two of my favourite games. Looking forward to JCS2.

16. RaptorF35

RaptorF35 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    If TrueAxis could get a studio of 100 people together to make a lot more games, I'd go broke. I absolutely love the style that they have, keep it up Luke! Hopefully you can get another partner or two.

17. luketrueaxis

Oct 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I love making niche games. The people who appreciate them, really appreciate them!

I think there should be enough game play in this to not make too many people leave 1-star reviews.

I'm a bit of a skater my self, I skated heaps, although, I did a lot more of the aggressive inline skating on vert ramp rather then skateboarding on street.

18. spy

spy Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm wondering what the soundtrack will be like. For a skateboard game there should be something nice, but I guess licensing will be a pain in the ass or very expensive.

Will you add some controls for the iPod app? Making a playlist with some decent tracks should help to give it a nice background.

What about sound effects? Will there be some traffic, wind, birds noise?

PS: The renders look really nice. When the stage will look like that, then you have some decent taste :)

19. Hondune

Hondune Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Being both a developer and a skateboarder i have to say im incredibly excited about this! TouchGrind is great fun, but its skateparks arent very well designed and the top down view makes it nearly impossible to actually skate around and do stuff on purpose. If the quality of gameplay in JCS and the dev that is involved with the community is any indication im sure this game will be awesome :D

20. zatoichi

zatoichi Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009