Support our Sponsors:

Old 05-15-2013, 11:10 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Get your point.

Its funny really as if you released your app at $1.99 and universal i'm sure everyone would be happy and not say a word.

If you released two versions, each 99c (and the ipod/iphone version with a smaller installed size) you would probably get people ranting at you if they had to pay twice for the same game !

Cant win !
Old 05-15-2013, 12:28 PM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by craighinrichs View Post
Ok, this is great! Thanks for your input.

The reason this question came up for me was the last couple of games I have worked on were all Universal and some of them had a lot of assets making the app really large. I worried that the size was a deterrent to downloading.

Kingdom Rush (one of my FAVORITE games!) did a split of the game and I happily bought both versions because I would throw money at them any day to make more content or finish Kingdom Rush 2.

For people who might really enjoy the next game we are working on right now I wondered if the benefit of having a smaller install and targeted platforms would allow people to help support us that liked what we were doing.

Does that make sense, my line of thinking?
Small download and install sizes are important if your game is good. Case in point, Frozen Synapse released today. Download size above 50MB. I literally cannot buy it as the App Store forbids downloads greater than 50MB while I am on the road using 3G.

Another example, Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. Weighing in at 1698.2GB download and who knows how large installed, just won't fit in my iPad, unless I junk a lot of other apps. Is your target buyer someone with one or two apps and so tons of space, or does he keep buying a lot of apps, so is always running out of space, like me, current free space 281MB on my iPad 2?

Also, of the two types of gamers shown above, which one is more likely to download your game? The one with one or two games who hardly plays, or the one who downloads several games every week, and so is pressed for space?

I found that the sweet spot for me are games that are below 200MB once installed, as I can just delete a few apps to make that kind of space easily. Anything bigger is a hassle to clear space for.

Also remember that silly 50MB download rule. Frozen Synapse was a no buy for me tonight. Tomorrow, when I have access to Wi-Fi, another game might have caught my eye and my money instead...
Old 05-15-2013, 03:14 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadisGreat View Post
Another example, Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. Weighing in at 1698.2GB download
Wow! Over a Terabyte! :P
Old 05-15-2013, 09:49 PM
Developer
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

I think I might be able to keep the app under 50 megs so I think Universal is the right choice. If that is not the case (under 50) then I might reconsider going split.

These are great! Thanks!
Old 05-24-2013, 03:18 PM

what i find annoying is when a developer releases an "iphone" version and an "ipad" version. why not an iphone version and a universal version? i dont mind paying more for the universal, but i do mind paying more for an ipad version. at that point ill just get the iphone version and 2x it.