Touch Arcade Forums' iOS Original/Indie GoTY 2013 - OCEANHORN -

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by awp69, Dec 18, 2013.

?

Which is your favorite original/indie iOS game for 2013?

Poll closed Jan 16, 2014.
  1. Badland

23.8%
  2. Oceanhorn

26.2%
  3. Boson X

11.9%
  4. Mikey Hooks

4.8%
  5. Starborn Anarkist

3.2%
  6. Plasma Sky

1.6%
  7. 9th Dawn

11.1%
  8. Quadropus Rampage

5.6%
  9. Duet Game

2.4%
  10. Continue?9876543210

9.5%
  1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #1 awp69, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    First annual Touch Arcade Forums Indie/Original GoTY has finished!

Congratulations to the winners:

First Place:
    [​IMG]

Oceanhorn
    33 Votes

Second Place:

[​IMG]

Badland
    30 Votes

Third place:

[​IMG]

Boson X
    15 Votes

Thank you to everyone who participated. And a special thanks to undeadcow for his help and also for the main GoTY poll!

2. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Great idea! I also would include Squeenix to that list :)

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Yeah, thought about SE as well, even though most of their better games are ports anyway.

Also, if anyone thinks this may cause too much interference with the main poll, please express that opinion as well. The last thing I want to do is dilute the main poll's significance. So even if we do have this poll, PLEASE still nominate all games, including indies, in the main poll. Don't want people thinking ... Oh I'll save that for the originals/indie poll.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This was opened up in a different thread, but Savant Ascent is not a port.

Savant Ascent was originally designed to be in iOS among other platforms, but there were complications in the build which delayed the iOS version.

That said, im not sure if Boson X would qualify. The iOS version came out less than a month after the final release of the PC version.

This is taken from the Dev's website http://www.muandheyo.com/press/sheet.php?p=boson_x

Will this qualify it as an original? It is indie, but im not sure if it is considered a port.

5. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#5 Bronxsta, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    I'll just copy my other GOTY list to here.

Would Vector and Boson X qualify here?

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #6 awp69, Dec 18, 2013
    I'd say Boson X would qualify regardless. As mentioned in the OP, I was thinking smaller indie games should be considered even if they were "ports". To me, I consider true ports to be games that are well known. Small indie games, in most cases, are new to iOS users.

Ditto for Vector.

This could get messy but I think we can work through any games in question -- particularly after all the nominations are in (of course, if you nominate something like XCOM that's obvious, it will be ignored in the tallies).

But to that end, if you can also say yeah or nay to the idea of this poll in general, that will help in determining if we should proceed.

7. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Republiqué :D

8. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #8 undeadcow, Dec 18, 2013
    I assume games that are simultaneously cross platform are eligible?

Nice! Thanks for stepping up to the plate with this Aw69! I've added a link to the general GOTY poll.

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Yes, absolutely. And I'd say any game "ported" from Android is automatically fair game since it was designed for mobile.

10. Bronxsta

Totally agree on this idea. Actually I swapped out Incredipede for Slayin for this poll and then in the main GOTY thread as well. Incredipede was already pretty well known amongst the PC Indie crowd, maybe not with IOS gamers, but I'm lumping it in with the known ports. And I thought Slayin was more deserving of a spot on a list of 2013's best

11. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    Good idea.
    I never bother voting on the TA GOTY poll because my nominations never make it. It's generally the same game genres every single year that make up the top 10 poll. Yawn.

Will have to start compiling a list..hmm

The rules seem very fair.

12. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    #12 PeteOzzy, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
    I've made my list, but please note that I'm not much of a PC gamer so I won't necessarily know what games were available originally on it:

9th Dawn
    Octagon
    Crabitron
    Dungelot
    Dungeon Plunder
    Hoplite
    Fiz
    Isle of Bxnes
    King Cashing 2
    Starborn Anarkist

I have a few back-ups (WazHack, WingDot, colorpickle and A Ride Into the Mountains) in case I've misjudged any of those. I also left off a few games (Oceanhorn, ICycle, Boson X and Ski Safari Adventure Time) as I just couldn't be sure if they'd meet the criteria of non-port, indie games. Good job supporting my preferred area of gaming!

13. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    We can see how this evolves but I'd say any of those you even mention a back ups or left off can be considered.

For instance, Oceanhorn is a pretty huge game. But it was done by a relatively smaller indie development team and was an iOS original. To me, that counts. Others may disagree, however. So that's where I was thinking once the top games are tallied, then anyone who objects to a game can bring it up for debate and we can (hopefully) come to somewhat of a consensus before putting up the final poll.

14. This thread is really confusing. Can't figure out if games should be on.

Who makes the call, awp?

15. Bronxsta

Nothing on your list was on PC, nor were any your back-ups/left-off games, so no worries

Edit: actually Dungelot has a browser version, but going by awp69's criteria, it's okay.

16. Bronxsta

How is it confusing?

And I think it's more of a general consensus. I'm pretty active on the PC indie side, so if there are any concerns about certain games, I'll probably know if it's a port or not

17. #17 Connector, Dec 18, 2013
    That's what is confusing, everyone seems to have different ideas what is a port. Even what is an Indie seems rather vague.

Also, I think Icycle wouldn't be allowed on your list because EA owns Chillingo.

18. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    Thank you for the reassurances and the checking AWP69 and Bronxsta, I'll keep my noms as they are then. Most of the games I left off will do pretty will for themselves anyway. I have a soft side for the underdogs and also firmly believe that indie offerings are far stronger than their more popular counterparts so this will be something I keep an eye on for hidden gems.

Hopefully it's not too much work for you but unfortunately I have my doubts!

19. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I think that's where we will need to maybe do a little weeding out at the end. But I guess when I say EA, I'm talking about games they developed in house. Like FIFA 14 or if Dead Space had been this year.

Icycle is pretty clear to me that it was an indie dev just published by Chillingo/EA. There was no massive powerhouse programming team with a huge budget.

I'm open to suggestions on better ways to define the criteria. And, as I said before, if a majority thinks this isn't going to work, then we'll just kill the poll.

I honestly just want a way for truly original games that were developed by a small or "indie" team to get recognized -- regardless of what publisher picked it up. Icycle, IMO, is actually a game I may be nominating.

20. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I agree that Oceanhorn is eligible.