★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Nintendo Switch: recommendation for the best game

12-22-2017, 06:47 AM
Nintendo Switch: recommendation for the best game

Hi guys I got a switch for Xmas!!! Yahoo!!!

I am not a fan of console games to be honest. I just need ONE recommendation of a game that I can play on this.

On ios. I love RPG and strategy games. For premium games
I love FF7, XCom, Starbase Orion, chaos rings 3 to name a few.

I dislike social games like animal crossing or the likes.
12-22-2017, 08:11 AM
Can’t go wrong with the main Nintendo games, but I’d recommend Zelda BoW, Super Mario Odyssey, and Mario Kart 8. I’ve heard good things about Mario vs Rabbids and a lot of people love Splatoon 2 (not a big fan myself).

Outside of Nintendo’s stuff, I’d give a look to Steamworld Dig 2 — it’s great. And if you haven’t played Skyrim, the Switch port is surprisingly excellent. Since you are an FF fan, you probably should check out I Am Setsuna.

There’s a lot more good stuff out there. Have fun!

12-22-2017, 01:46 PM
If you're only getting one game, just get Zelda: Breath of the Wild - it's widely seen as the game of the year, and is one of the highest rated video games of all time. Although critics claim Super Mario Odyssey is also a close contender. Get that too! They're both absolutely top-drawer, but Zelda has the edge for me.

The future for the Switch looks very, very bright, but there aren't a huge number of RPGs just yet. If you really want an RPG rather than the open-world adventure of Zelda BotW or the 3D platforming of Mario Odyssey, then your best bets are Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (very beautiful, rather traditional Switch-exclusive JRPG), Skyrim (2011 WRPG, but still punches its weight despite its age) or Mario + Rabbids (a deceptively good strategy RPG, and should be right up your street if you like Xcom).

2018 GOTY nominations: You're joking, right? I'm still playing games I got in 2015...
Switch ID: Krillin 5948-6652-1589
12-22-2017, 07:02 PM
Thank you so much guys!!!! I almost wanted to get Zelda since it's like THE GAME for ns. Until u mention Mario and rabbids!!! That's the kind of game I love so much!!! I watched YouTube and YES that's the kind of game I see myself playing!
12-22-2017, 07:10 PM
I have a silly question to ask... When I buy a console game like this do I expect the game to be permanently at the current state or devs have ways to patch them if needed. Like how we expect games on ios to happen so often.
12-22-2017, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinoaHeartily View Post
I have a silly question to ask... When I buy a console game like this do I expect the game to be permanently at the current state or devs have ways to patch them if needed. Like how we expect games on ios to happen so often.
BoW had a day one patch, and has gotten at least one patch since then. There’s also paid DLC.
12-23-2017, 05:49 AM
Yes, Mario + Rabbids has also had a patch since it launched, and it has already had DLC. That said, you can play it from a cartridge on day one without requiring a download - Nintendo is generally pretty good about ensuring that will always be the case.

However, I'll just add that Mario + Rabbids is on a hefty discount in the eshop over Christmas - now is an excellent time to buy. Enjoy your Switch!

2018 GOTY nominations: You're joking, right? I'm still playing games I got in 2015...
Switch ID: Krillin 5948-6652-1589
12-24-2017, 01:20 AM
Mario Oddyssey, Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Gamecenter : taeles
12-24-2017, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangutanKungfu View Post

However, I'll just add that Mario + Rabbids is on a hefty discount in the eshop over Christmas - now is an excellent time to buy. Enjoy your Switch!
I got excited when I read this but apparently it's not on sale for North America. I've been on the fence so if it goes on sale I'll pick it up.
12-25-2017, 05:49 PM
Zelda I would say. But honestly I play Skyrim more, it just seems perfect for the screen size and the switching between full screen and portable entertainment. Another recommendation (even if it isn't what you are looking for): Embers of Mirrim. I didn't really like the look of it, but it is clever and one of the most taxing puzzle platformers I have ever played, I enjoy it waaaay too much. There's a free demo, at least try that (it should last you an hour or two actually).