Universal Table Tennis Touch (by Yakuto)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 14, 2014.

1. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    This game is just a bit.....meh.

It works in so many ways but there are 2 things that totally ruin it.

First, the serving is so slow and really unnatural. No one serves that slow in real life.
    Second, as someone else said, it's impossible to hit off the table or the net. I've played for an hour solid and hit the table every single time. It just becomes a grind of constant, fast swiping until the AI makes an error. Where's the challenge in that?

Compare to Virtual Table Tennis HD, I think this is hugely inferior.

Sorry.

2. I don't agree. The graphics and polish are top notch. True it is not a true ping ping simulator, but it is awesome.

3. Everlasting

Everlasting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    #183 Everlasting, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
    After making it to international at 216,015 R, the game is the same as I described before and like the above poster.
    I know the developer designed the game with speed in mind, but this does not make games against the AI fun. Placement of the ball hardly matters against the AI and its like the AI is programmed to "mess up" after a long rally.

I guess i would try the other game bluewomble88 mentioned
    EDIT: Table Tennis Touch is no doubt the best looking ping pong game.
    I played online mutiplayer on VTT HD and there was always a delay when the opponent returns the ball. I am assuming that is what Yakuto is trying to prevent in their multiplayer update. Also a suggestion, if the normal level of speed cannot work for online, just drop the speed to compensate for the lag. (and if its slower, there could also be more control of the ball)

4. GaZ-OiD

GaZ-OiD Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    Virtual table tennis is far more realistic with better gameplay, this looks much better and more polished.
    I have lost count over the years the number of times I have thought that two games combined would be near perfect. This is one of those times.

I for one would sooner see gameplay enhanced and made more realistic before any multiplayer was added,

Anyone agree that gameplay needs attention first??

GaZ

5. spooky23

spooky23 Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Regarding Virtual Table Tennis - its free, so how does the IAP work on that?

Loving Table Tennis Touch, its glossy and attractive looking and its got enough about it to be a firm fav of mine, but Virtual does seem to have a little bit more depth in play (if not the gloss and atmosphere).

6. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Absolutely agree with you 100%!!;)
    Well said. I also like Table Tennis 3D by Giraffe, by the way. I like the gameplay of that one too!

7. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    While this is a great game in its own right, after going back to VTT for more sim like action, this is hard to come back to even with all the bells whistles and polish which once again proves the old saying, it's all about the gameplay.

This is still totally recommended for arcade table tennis action but I could not recommend if you want sim like action but I have everything crossed that it will transform to both in the near future.

GaZ

8. spooky23

spooky23 Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2011
    I'm actually enjoying this now (although I have the other game installed and will get to that in time).

Is there a reason you play the same people in the same order during competitions? Once you complete a career can you go back and play tournaments or do you proceed to the next difficulty level and start over again playing the same people in the same order?

Would be great to see the way it currently plays set to 'arcade' and a more 'sim' type option made available.

I can not fault the presentation one bit - its absolutely beautiful and love the glossy graphics and neat subtle audio touches.

9. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    Just a quick post to see if the devs are still reading?

I was just wondering if we can expect an update at any time giving a more sim like experience?

Are there any updates due soon?

Thanks GaZ

10. Everlasting

Everlasting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Multiplayer update should be their priority. Arcade style gameplay is Boring against the AI, but is probably much more fun against real players and if they can get it right, maybe they dont even have to make a Sim mode and still be fun.

11. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK

I would sooner play a sim game against AI than an arcade game in multiplayer.

As I said in an earlier post, playing VTT that is much more realistic than this makes this hard to return to as the game is now. No real skill involved just get your timing right is not challenging or that much fun

GaZ

12. Everlasting

Everlasting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    How is the AI in VTT? Do you feel that its easy to outsmart the VTT AI?

I do agree that Table Tennis Touch is not fun in regard to the matches (the mini games are more fun) I feel that the only skill required in this game is reaction time. Placement of the ball is unimportant/nonexistent because the AI will almost always return the ball (Until you do enough returns and finally the AI will "mess up").
    Its ironic how it takes a long time to get points in this "speed based ping pong game". :rolleyes:

13. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    #193 GaZ-OiD, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    VTT feels and plays so much more realistic, I played table tennis for years so trust me :)

AI is top notch and all games seem very fair, skill required :)

GaZ

14. Everlasting

Everlasting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    I played a game in VTT against the most difficult opponent available at the start and lost 1-11. It is like TTT in that there are long rallies, but it feels more interactive because I have to be mindful on how to place the ball. More than half of the points were due to me hitting a out.

I can now agree with Gaz if you combine VTT gameplay with TTT production values, it would make for a better game against the AI.

Though I wouldnt make my final opinion until the multiplayer comes out. :eek:
    If they are having problems achieving high speed in online wifi, I suggest them to go with Gaz's advice and make a more balanced and smooth game by sacrificing a little speed for control.

15. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    VTT is more fluid and realistic, it relies far more on player skill and timing as opposed to timing alone.
    Multiplayer is always nice but not always easy when split second timing is essential and lag a problem.
    Getting the single player game right would do me a treat as I don't get that much satisfaction winning points when no skill is really involved

GaZ

16. Seanzaisuru

Seanzaisuru New Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Quick Question

Hi James,

First of all thank you for the work that you and your team put into the creation of this game. I have only played a few minutes and am already hooked. The graphics are great the options useful and the game play excellent. To those who complain about the size I say get a micro such card or play on a pad not a phone, I would be willing to add a gig more to improve the game in any way you and the team saw fit.

Anyways the question I have is regarding topspin and backspin. The tutorial went over the side spin well and I have that down. However the description indicated drop shots and such which require vertical spin which was not covered. Is this something that gets added as I progress or am I just not able to figure it out.

Thanks for any information you can give and I am looking forward to the multiplayer add on, I hope it has peer to peer or local network options available. The internet matches I think may suffer from lag and frame loss but I would love to be able to play my wife or friends in a tournament or twenty ;)

Sean

17. TheOmen2

TheOmen2 Member

Feb 27, 2014
    This is one of the best implementations of the touch screen interface of any game I have played.

Unqualified recommendation, no reason not to pick this up on sale or at full price.

18. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    It looks like the Devs have left the building? No news from them as to whether this is the finished game or a proper sim mode will be added like many of us wanted??

This game is so close to being top quality but it missed the mark with arcade gameplay. BOTH arcade and sim would have kept everyone very happy

GaZ

19. Everlasting

Everlasting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Its sad because they dont even have updates on multi player, something that they promised. I wonder if they are just doing nothing or are they are at work at a major gameplay overhaul

20. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    Pleased to see an update, unfortunately for me not the update I was hoping for (simulation)

Hopefully one day a sim mode migh be added, my fingers are crossed

GaZ