Older device whiner thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by awp69, Dec 15, 2010.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #1 awp69, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
    I know this isn't going to get any love for all those people who have newer devices and stick up for developers moving the iOS forward. But nevertheless, I thought we could have a pity party those of us who can't afford to upgrade right now and are sadly missing out on some of the cooler new games of the year.

Tonight, I'll miss Shadow Guardian and Dungeon Defenders. Already cried a river over Infinity Blade.:(

Don't get me wrong, I strongly agree that developers should push the iOS to its limits with the newer hardware. But that doesn't mean that I have to be happy not being able to play them!

- signed, a sorrow-filled 2nd Gen iPod Touch owner

EDIT: Some have misinterpreted my sarcastic/tongue-in-cheek idea behind this thread. But even though I just wanted to poke a little fun into the subject, I thought it might still be of help others with older devices to keep a list of games unplayable on anything less than a 3GS (This should NOT include games that have a secondary version like Rage that does work on older devices). Please feel free to post about any other games to our growing no-play list and I'll try to keep the OP updated.

Here's what we have so far:

Biofrenzy
    Dungeon Defenders
    Epic Citadel
    Eden World Builder
    Infinity Blade
    Shadow Guardian
    Aralon*

* Some people with 2Gs are playing it, but experiencing crashes so I personally would shy away until it's optimized. The App Store description itself says 3GS and above. Another game I'd love to play!

2. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

Epic Citadel
    Eden World Builder
    Biofrenzy

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Epic Citadel didn't bother me too much since it was more of a tech demo. But IB certainly hurt.

4. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I did have a question regarding compatibility. I understand that the Unreal Engine doesn't work on our now "legacy" hardware.

But is there any way that Apple could do an update for older devices to support OpenGL 2.0 (which is the main reason for other non-Unreal Engine games not working)? What do we have, OpenGL 1.1, I think? Or is it just impossible to run 2.0 with our hardware?

5. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    What?! Shadow Guardian doesn't run on 2nd gen?!

The end is near!

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Oprah has a gift for this thread.

[​IMG]

7. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

I had an iPod touch 1st Gen till up to a few months ago. You guys, with 2nd gens, can definitely live with it. Then I upgraded to an iPhone 4 - and I'm loving every second of it. Spent a year and a bit's savings on it. Hard-earned cash gone into a thing of beauty.

Christmas is coming, you guys should upgrade. ;)

8. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    I only have an iPod Touch 2nd Gen. Yes, I miss many a good games, but you know what? You cry all day, then your the real loser. I don't care about those games, because I know I'll be playing them on the 25th, when I have more money anyway. And for those who don't have a way of getting a newer device, suck it up and deal with it. Yes, it does suck, but technology has to move on. Time won't stop because you can't afford (Or frankly, don't wanna spend over $200 on) a new device. Learn to deal with it, and you'll be a lot happier with the stuff you have right now.

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    This is what I was trying to avoid. No, I'm not crying all day because of games I can't play. I am happy with what I can play. And I don't have the more like $300 I'd have to spend to upgrade.

I am dealing with it. And, like I said, I don't want devs to stop pushing the limits on the new devices.

Can't we just have a little fun thread for venting what us losers can't play? That's all that was intended (at least on my part).

10. glamdrac

glamdrac Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    welcome to the wonderful world of technology, people!:D

11. itman

itman Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Arrrrggggggggghhhhh!

12. mpf189

mpf189 Active Member

Dec 11, 2010
    I feel you..I would put the blame more on Apple..they hold off on making their products the best so they can release a better one every year with more features and bring in the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Business 101 though :(

13. Neptunes

Neptunes Active Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Virginia
    Somewhat off topic but does anyone know how much I should sell my iPod Touch 2G 8g on Craigslist? I think its time for me to upgrade. I'm tired of being left out.

14. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    If you're a hardcore arcade connoisseur, please check out Silverfish. I personally tested on and optimized for 1st and 2nd gen iPods. :D

15. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    I gave up my iPod 2g for 25 days in order to get a brand new 4th gen 32 GB on Christmas.........i do feel bad......but i will be interested to see if it is worth the 300 im paying for it

16. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    my sister got $100 for hers.....but i think 75-80 would sell quickly

17. Ryan el champ

Ryan el champ Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2009
    subway sandwich artist
    chicago
    +1, I'm glad to see Devs cutting older gen models out of their games. The rest of the world can start to see more quality titles on a regular basis now.

18. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #18 awp69, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
    Just to clarify again. This was more of a tongue-in-cheek thread that I was hoping people wouldn't take so seriously.

Yes, I'm unhappy that I can't upgrade and play the latest and greatest now, but I do, indeed, want the world to move on. Just like a Playstation One can't play Playstation 3 titles. I'm a realist. Just want to have some fun with the misery of those of us who can't afford to upgrade right now. And also thought it might be a good place to list the games that aren't playable on our older models so we know in advance not to get too excited about something.

Oh, and Frank, yes, I have Silverfish and love it. Thanks for your 2G support!

19. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    It will be worth it. The retina display is probably the feature you'll appreciate most. You've made a good decision though, I think the iPod Touch 4 and iPhone 4 will still be capable of running the latest games for the next 2-3 years. I don't think the 5th generation devices will improve much (more storage, improved battery life, better camera etc). I owned an original iPhone for almost 3 years before I got my iPhone 4, and I managed fine until mid 2010.

20. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Oh, yeah.
    I can relate. As a long-time first gen Touch owner, I cried when the 2nd gen was released.
    And the 3rd.
    And the 4th.
    And the iPhones 1,2,3,3GS, and 4.
    But somewhere, somehow, in the midst of all those tears, I managed to pick up an iPad. So I have a little bit of a break from the crying.
    Until the 2nd gen iPad is released, of course...
    ;)