Shady people on here, rigging contest

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Luciano1084, May 21, 2014.

1. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Don't waste your time guys.. Most of these contest are BS..

2. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Anything too good to be true is BS

3. iANiMeX

iANiMeX Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Bum
    Philippines
    #3 iANiMeX, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
    Some are fake but most are not. I've encountered probably 10-15 fake contest here in toucharcade since I've joined. First prize I've won here was a $1,000 from Flight of Flo Flo. First I thought it was fake because the game is free and they are giving away $1,600 ($1,000, $500 and $100) on that contest. You just have to keep on joining and just try your luck. Just delete your review if the contest turns out to be fake. You just have to deal with them as we really doesn't know how to tell if the contest is real or not until they announce the winner/s.

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Was there any need for another thread ? I deleted the other one if youre using this one instead.

I wrote in that other thread...

"I think thats a bit of an overreaction.

I spend a lot of time checking winners of various competitions and in the past 3 years of being a mod i've only every found one instance of a dev 'cheating' previously. I also check users accounts as in the past 'some' users have created multiple accounts to try and win. If i find this out they are instantly banned from TA.

If anyone is ever suspicious of winners then let the mods know and we can check from our end, but so far i've now found 2 devs who cheated, the vast vast vast majority are fine. I want competitions to be fair so i tend to check users/devs who create these competitions.

But as i said in that thread, whats also frustrating is the amount of users giving ANY app 5 stars just to try and win, i mean thats 'cheating' as well as it doesnt help any of us wanting to buy games who might read reviews. "

5. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Wow that was different I agree with iANiMeX since I've also been on the short end of some major ripoffs but I'd suggest checking their profile and confirming that they have had contests here before and that people actually received their prizes.

Most times there too good to be true so stay alert

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm surprised at that high number. Again in all the years i've been a mod here i think one person reported a competition thread for us to check.

If you think theres been a high number of fake contests then report them, otherwise we cant do anything even if its just checking to say 'nope its okay its totally legit'

I'm happy to check any threads you want. But as i said previously, its also a joke the fake reviews/scores a lot of users give these games

I dont want TA users cheated, thats why i spend a lot of time banning devs and accounts for posting shill reviews (i hate those !). Same for competitions, believe me if you think somethings up tell me (or report it) and i'll look into it totally as i hate people being scammed/cheated

7. That is not good if they are fake, but how can you tell? They could just create a shill account and give the award to their shill. So there is no way of knowing right?

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #8 psj3809, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
    Thats why you report it so the mods can check the account.

I cant check every single competition, but i stumbled across that one accidentally. If someone had reported it days earlier i could have looked into it but no one did. No point writing 'i think this is a scam' if you dont report it.

If you report it i'll look into it, but if you dont report it then theres not much i can do

The original poster said hes entered 100 of these competitions, is that 100 5 star reviews ? Again thats not good either. Some users seem to enter tons of competitions, get tons of promo codes but hardly ever seem to buy games when you look at their post history as well !

9. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Agreed like I've stated before I have won contest with 3 star reviews, that's when you know that there after true feedback. I had my account frozen on paid reviews sites cause I refused to give crappy app more than 2 stars.

At the end of the day I know we all want to win free stuff but think of the times you purchased a game based off of all the 5 star reviews only to find out it was garbage karma is a %^&*($# :rolleyes:

10. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    I am so in agreement with you!
    Not only is it bad for those using real money to purchase a game, but it encourages certain developers ( not all) to also give certain upgrades in game only if you leave 5 stars. Instead I will either delete the game made by a shady dev or I,ll leave the review but write that I had to do it for the additional content. Later, I change the stars.
    I think that anyone that leaves 5 stars untruthfully is just as bad as the developer.
    I am not willing to go against my values by lying just to hope for a ten dollar I tune's gift card.

11. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    If there was another thread related to this I apologize for that.. I just don't want people to waste their time or get their hopes up.. I've entered a lot of these and have never won a thing.. My luck isn't that bad ;) Have a great day guys