iPad Mini Volume Help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Enriana, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    I hope it's OK to post here - I only recently got my iPad mini and don't have another group of people I can easily consult. (Google has not been helpful, sadly.)

What I'm trying to do is have two different volume settings for two different things. I listen to audiobooks before bed, I loaded them into iTunes and can use my iPad to listen to them. However, I tend to listen to them on a very low volume level.

Which wouldn't be a problem, except for the times where I'm also using an alarm. It's not Apple's built in alarm, it's an app - Nightstand, if that matters - and I obviously don't want the alarm at such a low volume. ;)

This is a minor issue and I've been able to make do by using my phone for the alarm, but if there's any way to use both and maintain their different volume settings, that would be ideal.

Thank you! And apologies in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place.

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The Nightstand volume might function differently to the built-in alarm, I'm not sure. I can give you instructions for using the iOS Clock's alarm, but you'll have to find out if the same applies to Nightstand yourself.

There are two different volume levels, and you can control them independently by switching off the "Change with buttons" option under Sounds in the Settings app.

First, make sure the option is ON and exit Settings. When you use the volume controls you should notice the icon says "sound effects" underneath. This is the alarm volume.

Then go back into Settings and switch the option OFF. Now when you change volume there should be no text underneath the icon, this means you're only changing the volume that apps use, but all system functions (such as alarm) are unaffected.