Universal SHADOWGUN (by MADFINGER Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by The Bat Outta Hell, Sep 28, 2011.

1. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    This game works very well given the limitations of the touch screen interface versus a physical controller. However, not being able to get "up close and personal" with enemies is a bit of a let down, as it would be great to be able to charge an enemy and take them on hand-to-hand, rather than gun them all down from distance.

The AI of the enemies, moving from one piece of cover to another to flank you, is impressive though.

Graphically, on the iPhone 4, it's absolutely gorgeous.

2. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    Is its just me or is the game too easy, i breeze through the 1st 3 levels. Does the difficulty ramp up in the late levels?

3. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    I'm not a freak :'(

4. JMarceLF

JMarceLF Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    CHEF
    California
    But I am! Add me on Disc!Drivin!

-freak

PS: graphics are very clear and sharp love this game!

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Don't worry about it. When the new charts roll around on Thursday, the shit will be pouring in if you're not already on the top charts by the end of tomorrow.

6. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Just finished the first level on my way to work on the train, and I have to say that while this is a fine piece of programming and a good game, it still "feels" like a mobile phone game. Dead Space to this day remains the only iOS game that has made me feel like I'm playing a console game.

I also don't like that you can't go into cover against any wall or obstacle at will, it only seems to be behind crates or barriers and when enemies are near. Why can't I peek around the edge of a door to check out an area before entering it? I've ran up to numerous door frames and only been able to take cover against one, which was when enemies were present.

I'd also like to be able to roll away from danger, as when enemies get too close it becomes a button-mash firefight and a complete mess. There also appears to be no sprint command?

Oh, the use of robotic Tickers made me cringe though ... sorry, Madfinger.

7. VonWillebrand

VonWillebrand Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Europe
    The game is really good and worth the price. Graphically the best we have at the
    moment. I'm a bit bummed with the lack of CQB. Maybe this was left out due to time constraints? Another thing I'd like is gore/more blood but I guess they didn't want to go that route. Explosions are a bit weak also.

Now, don't get me wrong. The game is still awesome and everyone should try it.

8. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Just gonna throw my three cents into the mix here. Wanted to wait until I got a few chapters in before I reported my impressions. You already know by now (especially if you've played it) how freakin' AWESOME SHADOWGUN is.

I've never been this impressed by a handheld game. I write this even after experiencing the majesty that is God of War: Ghost of Sparta. SHADOWGUN is simply a blast. Linear? Yes. Lack of grenades (least early on)? Yes. Shotguns aren't as powerful as I'd like? Yes. No double-tap to switch weapons? Sure.

But those are all nitpicks, IMO. The graphics are absolutely STUNNING. Again, STUNNING.

For comparison's sake, this game makes Dead Space (iOS) look like turd shrimp. I'm floored.

Gameplay-wise, it makes any other "console" effort look like... Well, best 8 bucks I've spent on the app store in a while...

Oh, and I love little extras...

9. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Wishlist:
    -Close combat
    -dodge/roll
    -grenades
    -Sprint
    -Attach to wall and other surfaces

10. MadFingerGames

MadFingerGames Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Brno, Czech Rep.

I really dont know, what you mean by robotic Tickers ? ;)

11. tchibo126

tchibo126 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    Germany
    same here...

12. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Wishlist request #1: the ability to walk instead of 'run while walking' - looks very funny

13. MadFingerGames

Apr 27, 2009
    Brno, Czech Rep.

14. wooseokjo

wooseokjo Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Im having problems starting the game, it crashes when i try to start the game. Mines ipod touch 4g, and i think the ram is the problem?

15. MadFingerGames

Apr 27, 2009
    Brno, Czech Rep.
    It should work very well on iPod 4G... We found only same problem as you have and solved it restart device. Its probably related to iOS then game..

Let me know if this help you

16. Ezak

Ezak Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    #176 Ezak, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
    Great games guys, just started the 3rd level.
    When you use the "fixed placed control stick", it would be nice to allow touches anywhere else to allow aim, this way you can "precise" aim with left index finger with right finger ready to fire, like say in MC2 (or just allow touch to turn anywhere while control stick is active).

There is also a glitch on the third level. After a few seconds, the "starting" gates will instantly close then reopen. Just looks weird :p

BTW, it's very smooth on ipod4 and ipad1 (solid 30fps), and very playable on 3GS (text is blurry though)

Awesome so far :) I really hope for multiplayer

17. wooseokjo

wooseokjo Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Nope. Maybe ios 4.3.3 is the problem. People said that they got less rams since the update.

18. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    No problem on 4.3.5, and no one else has reported the same issue yet, and half the people here have iPods instead of iPhones.

19. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    iPhone 4 with 4.3.3 here, no problems on my end.

20. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    looking at the gameplay videos it seems like most combats are like you hide behind the crates or walls and shoot the enemies who do the same, is it so?