Death of a Samurai - First Person Samurai Game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by PocketFame, Mar 3, 2015.

1. PocketFame

PocketFame Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Owner PocketFame.com & IT Project Manager
    Wollongong/Sydney, Australia
    #1 PocketFame, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    Death of a Samurai

Hey guys,

I wanted to share with you a game I've been working on for a while now that is currently titled 'Death of a Samurai'.

Basically I wanted to create a samurai experience for mobile devices, placing the player into the shoes of a samurai running head first into battle. Players can expect to be able to perform various attacks and defensive moves based on touch/swipe controls as well as use bows and perks through each level while they unlock upgrades and customise their samurai.

It really is a mix between a samurai film and a endless survive style game. I've included a bunch of gameplay clips below to show you guys just how far along the game is. Hope you like what you see, I'm confident that this game can be released this year.. Still contemplating a crowdfuning campaign or looking for a publisher to partner with this game.

Current Features:
    - Battle Scenes: Battle across 3 distinct landscapes featuring dynamic weather and environments.
    - Attacking: Utilise multiple attacks focusing on either battling a single enemy or striking multiple samurai
    - Defending: Block, jump or dodge incoming attacks
    - Customisation: Upgrade your characters weapons and armour - even customising the blade katana blade
    - Bow and Arrow: prefer to strike from a distance? Use the bow and arrow to shoot the enemy
    - Perks: Equipping perks can give you the edge on the battlefield, extra health, a head start or even a bodyguard there are numerous perks to help you survive longer and kill quicker.
    - Difficulty and AI: Battle against a clever enemy with 5 different ranks of enemy samurai each with varying skills, hit chances and weapons.
    - Shogun Boss Battles: Kill the enemy shogun in battle for bonus rewards
    - 1 v 1 Duels: 1v1 Duel mode lets players fight in classic 1 v 1 duels. Players can continue duelling to increase their gold multiplier and unlock rare swords
    - Horses: Ride a horse into battle and spear your enemies from horseback!
    - Tutorial: In game tutorial will turn you into a deadly samurai
    - Freemium: Yes this game will be free to play! We have finished the freemium system with players earning gold to upgrade their Armour, weapons and horses as well as equipping the perks before each battle

Development in Progress:
    - Multiplayer - more details to follow, I can say this will be really cool!

Future ideas:
    - Introducing enemies and battles based on Japanese mythology

Screenshots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MarleySaege

MarleySaege Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Was hoping for something more Age of Chivalry not Into The Dead... Not saying I won't play it though !

3. PocketFame

Oct 6, 2014
    Age of Chivalry does look awesome! I'm hopeful that I'll be able to bring a multiplayer duel mode into the game

4. PocketFame

Oct 6, 2014
    #4 PocketFame, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    Also wanted to share with everyone the region scene. This scene is allows the player to explore the region and find their next battle. Players can zoom in/out and scroll around the map.

Animations include animated water, sun rays, samurai movement, flames etc.

Weather that matches the respective battle scenes will also be added

[​IMG]

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Surely looking forward to this. Into the Dead got too IAP-heavy, and that egyptian clone just has really bad mechanics. Hoping this one doesnt fall into those pitfalls.

6. PocketFame

Oct 6, 2014
    Glad that your keen!

If you can send me the link to that Egyptian clone I'll make sure I learn from their failures. Also will take that IAP comment on board!

Cheers

7. PocketFame

Oct 6, 2014
    Quick Update:

The defence system is almost complete. Players will be able to block attacks, jump back or dodge to either side.

Screenshots/video demos will be up over the next few days.

8. Red_saaryn

Red_saaryn Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Writer
    This samurai game is a runner type ? Because if not it looks extremely great. A big release of the biggest like mhfu or izanagi samurai online , the best of the best >w<

9. PocketFame

Oct 6, 2014
    It is a runner however its not like subway surfer or anything like that. Check out the youtube video you'll see the gameplay progress so far.

Adding in some RPG elements such as working towards upgrading your samurai with better armour to survive longer each time you run into battle and better weapons.

10. Red_saaryn

Feb 2, 2015
    Writer
    If that is the chase i recommend a boss mode, on the fights of the feudal japan they where generals called shoguns, they ruled over a terrain so here they can be the bosses, like lord nobunaga, lord hojo etc etc but you dont need to be historically exact all that matters is how good it looks and if you can improve it with bosses and multiplayer if is posible ^w^

11. PocketFame

Oct 6, 2014
    Adding in a boss shogun would be really cool. There are two stronger enemies that can kill you with a single hit (unless you are wearing full armour) however there isn't a shogun on the battlefield.

I'll take that idea on board thanks! :D

12. MarleySaege

MarleySaege Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2015
    So, any shurikens for ranged attacks? Also will there be level progression ? Or just a high score & the same area?

13. Red_saaryn

Feb 2, 2015
    Writer
    I dont know if is of much help but i practice kendo and i normally use:katana, washisaki, nodachi, tanto, and naginata. Those are the kind of weapons that the samurais used for close combat and for long raged combat they used yumis that are like bows but in Japanese style, the basic attacks are:

Men: is a downward slash that aims at the head, more accurate to hit the forehead and the upper part of the head

Kote: is like men but with the difference that his is aimed to the arms or right arm that is the one that gives the direction to the sword, the left one is the hand that gives the strength to the sword this movement is to pacifist the soldier by making him unable to use his sword ( but even with that for those chases the washisake was made )

Do: is an attack that aims at the belly in a slash that starts straight down then it curves to cut the belly open if this success then the enemy is surely dead

Tsuki: this is a high speeded forward attack with the tip of the sword his objective is the neck ( the Adan apple on male samurais) the tips stabs the neck making sure to be a finishing blow

Those are the basic attacks, i dont know if i helped with the information but there are others things that maybe you can put on your game maybe mythologic beast? Maybe like side quest, it would be great to fight a kitsune or a tengu the japanese mythology is very vast and you can use it on your advantage ^^

14. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    What's your take on Dead Runner?

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Loved it back in the day. One of the games that pulled me into liking runner games. Been a while since i played it though, not sure how it would hold up to today's standards, although im leaning towards "good" but it needs to change openfeint to GC at least.

16. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #16 Primoz, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    It did. And there's also a new chase mode. Well, not new, but it wasn't there back when I played it.

[​IMG]

Too bad it hasn't been optimizided to fit the larger screens.

17. PocketFame

Oct 6, 2014
    Currently there is a bow for ranged attacks. The video in my initial post demo's it about half way through the video.

I am looking to implement a level progression system around player xp that will unlock weapons, armour and different attacks.

18. PocketFame

Oct 6, 2014
    Really cool information, thanks for that!

The attacks that are in the game so far generally cover the attacks you have described. I'll think about some specific death animations that can work around what you've described.

I am definitely tempted to drop in a few mythology elements in to the game. So far I've tried to keep it fairly realistic. The concept of dropping dragons, kitsune, tengu or even zombies constantly plays on my mind!

I'll update you if I end up going that way, otherwise it may be a good chunk of updatable content for after the initial release.

Cheers,

19. Jxsgamer

Jxsgamer Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    USA
    Definitely looks like fun :D
    So, it's a runner with 3 types of Minigames?

I like the title.. oh man, is the samurai gonna die at the end? *O*

20. PocketFame

Oct 6, 2014
    Great to hear that you like it!

It's a runner with different attacking and defending moves spread across three battle scenes (so far). Check out the youtube video in my first post.

Looking at growing the region (map) scene to include more battle environments once the game has launched.

Little mini games or side quests are on the to-do list :)