Puzzle games that DON'T rate levels out of three stars?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MidianGTX, Jun 21, 2012.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm getting kinda bored of feeling I have to go back and perform even better next time. I know it's not often forced, but it seems to happen so much in iOS games these days and I'm looking forward to a puzzler that'll let me feel accomplished just for passing the level rather than doing it flawlessly. So what are my options? The best example I can think of is the brilliant Aqueduct, but obviously I own that already.

2. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
  3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Why do people get OCD about 3 stars or so ? Every game which has that i simply just want to get to the next level, problem is with sooo many iOS games out there and new ones coming out every week i tend to try and complete games rather than 'master' them and get every single star etc !

Dont care if i get 1 or 2 stars, just want the next level

Can totally recommend the Hacker, brilliant game

4. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Any of the PathPix games - they rate you by the immense satisfaction of completing the levels.

One of my favorites too - Helsing's Fire. There's gotta be more, too.

5. kzwen

kzwen Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Blockwick, Marple, Electric Box, Quell, Shady Puzzles, Trainyard, Fling.
    I am certain there are no 3 stars for the first 3 but the others, I don't really recall but to my knowledge I don't think there are any. It's been a while since I played them though.

6. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    Will's world its the only puzzle game you are ever going to need and best of all its completely free

7. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    The Blackhole, birzzle pandora,squirme, shoot the birds, rejoin, macguffins curse,peggle, forget-me-not, puzzlejuice, radia, sling supreme, cover orange, circadia, ghost trick, minigame paradise, ticket to ride, doodle god, jenga, flight control, ten drops , dark nebula&2, Labyrinth 2 , Osmos, edge extended,blind world or splode, zenbound 2, continuity 2,

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I know it's my problem, which is why I don't blame the games ;)

It's weird though, lots of people that generally aren't OCD at all can still get annoyed by little things like this. It only really happens to me with games.

Thanks for all the suggestions, gonna start investigating!

9. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I'm actually exacty like that too - I just can't find myself moving on to the next stage until I have 3 stars (or whatever) on the current level. It's a sad curse, but one learns to deal with it, right, Midian? :rolleyes:

10. playpunk

playpunk Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    Teacher, curator, author, artist
    San francisco
    I heartily recommend "English Country Tune" no ratings there and a huge variety of puzzles to work thru.

11. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Colorbind is the only game you'll ever need! Pure logic no rushed timers or stars!
    Zen puzzle garden - relaxing no star puzzler by pikpok
    Wriggle - okay it has trophies but it's TOO good to pass up - try to lite version. You'll fall in love
    Bobby carrot - 15 h+ gameplay! No stars or time limits
    Qink- free lite version - absolutely brilliantly unique puzzlers

12. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    What about the Rush Hour genre? Do you have anything in that genre? If not, there are a bunch of good free ones. Some of them do count moves and let you know if your solution isnt optimal, but most arent overt about it. And I know there are some that dont even count moves -- i.e, its just about whether you can do it or not.

Then there is the Sokoban genre. I personally dont like that genre, but again, there are a lot of games in the genre, and I'm pretty sure that some dont count moves.

My highest recommendation though is Fling! Its a progressively harder yet randomized puzzle game with several modes. Unlock mode is just clear the levels and progress to harder levels. There are also several high score modes, a casual mode where you just try and do puzzles at the skill you have unlocked (and remember, there is an endless number because they are random.) I dont know if you will dig the mechanic of Fling or not, but in terms of the variety of modes, it really has everything one could ask for from it.

Fuzzle is awesome too, and its from the makers of Fling! It fits your criteria as well.

13. GraviMaze is a fun puzzle game that came out last month with little fanfare. I finished it in one afternoon, so it isn't very long, but solving its puzzles is extremely satisfying. It does have three coins on every level that you need to get before clearing the level (if you want the perfect score), but I consider this to be different than trying to get three stars because solving the puzzles in ways that allow you get all three coins is PART of the fun of the puzzles. I look at it this way: Trying to get three stars in games feels like a chore; trying to get the three coins in this game is fun, and makes you feel smart when you figure out how to get them all. :)

Another good puzzle game is Flow Free, but that's been in the Top 5 games for the past week so I'm betting you've already downloaded it.

14. Asasnator

Asasnator Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Full time college student
    Oklahoma, OKC
    I'm a little surprised no one recommended World of Goo. It normally costs 6-7 USD, but I've found it on sale a handful of times for 1 dollar. It is a puzzle ish kinda game where you try to build a bridge or..build something, and try to reach this tube at the end of the level. It can become very difficult on some of the later levels. I still haven't beaten it, but I'm close. Hope to finish it soon! lol

15. playpunk

playpunk Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    Teacher, curator, author, artist
    San francisco
    I just picked this up this week, no star rating system and an extremely unique puzzler - Fuusio! I've been having a blast with it, some of those levels are hard.