Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old Today, 05:16 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

I really hope devs will reconsider their no async stance.
Game is superb, possibly the best solo boardgame on the App Store (together with Elder Sign: Omens for me)....and boys I tried to play multiplayer (which is fantastic) with friends....but it's just impossibile for me and I can't understand how people can do it.

I was able to complete just one 2 players, no AI game, with house rules to speed up ending...lasted more than 2 hours.
So we both had to be online, with no disconnections.
Tried several other times...4 players is just impossibile (we gave up at the 4 hour mark)...and other times hiccups in network or urgent things made us give up.

It's a pity, because the game is fantastic and while AI is good, it really SHINES when played against friends.

I know there are a ton of interactions, especially with mages, and I perfectly know it's not funny to be notified for 30 seconds just to do nothing because you do not want to use any interrupt spell....but I would take that any day for the possibility of playing with my friends.
We would end up playing 'almost' realtime anyway but with the convenience of being able to interrupt at any moment without screwing up the game for everyone else...be it for 5 minutes 'kids emergency' or for 1 day.

I might add that the game, being able to see at a glance the situation plus you can see the cards of everyone, is perfect for async...you could pick up a month old game and be able to continue even without remembering the history of the game.

I also dislike the fact I can have just one game per time.
Many times I was in the middle of a (saved) game I couldn't continue because e my opponent was busy...and I couldn't start another one with a friend available...just because I would destroy the previous game.

Do not get me wrong, I LOVE what devs made...it's brilliant, a perfect port, and they are really committed to support it with the wonderful expansions...I just think the lack of async (maybe because of the PC heritage...where async and notifications are not popular) is a big one on iPad, where the game is absolutely perfect.

I do not think cross platform, which is surely appreciated, will get onboard many new players or radically augment the number of online games (and the number of expansion bought, I'm sure) .
Async would, imho.

I know for a fact I would play it A LOT MORE, and I know several friends who would do the same (they haven't bought the game yet because of async lack...yet we play daily TONS of async boardgames...from Carcassonne, to Battle of the Bulge, from Lost Cities to Ticket to Ride, etc...).

Just my 2 cents....I see the potential hassles, but the gain would be a major one.