Going from an IpT4 to an IpT5, as meaningful as from IpT3 to IpT4?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ackmondual, Jul 4, 2013.

1. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    #1 ackmondual, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
    EDIT: in case it wasn't clear, "IpT" means Ipod Touch!

I thought going from non-Retina to Retina on my IpT3 to IpT4 was huge. Now, the "extra row of icons" only seems nice, but not quite so essential as the Retina one. Has any of you with the larger Iph5/IpT5 screen found it to be more worth it? I know this a bit subjective, but I'm looking for subjective opinions, and if they're helpful, all the better.

I have gotten some updates to the games I already have that state the "Retina+" screen resolutions are supported. Off the top of my head, those such as Carcassonne and Plants Vs. Zombies. I have non-game apps like Documents To Go that does support this.

Other features I don't think I care so much about...
    Faster processor - why is it after each new model, the current one we have just lags? It's a vicious cycle. Generalizations aside, this actually probably would be another good reason to update
    Better load times, better performance from "meatier games", and more dynamic memory "system memory" (not to be confused with storage), are things I should've initially seen!

5 MP digicam - 5 MP is a huge improvement over the IpT4's 0.8 MP cam, but honestly, my Galaxy s2 does that just fine and better. If I upgrade to a better Samsung phone, I'll still be covered here

different colors - I do admit, this most minor feature stands out more, as it'd be easier to find a yellow Ipod Touch when it falls into the crack of a couch cushion, or below the seat of my car, rather than the current black model (fine color too, but it doesn't make it easier to find)

Siri - My IpT is often NOT on wifi, so Siri will be inoperable throughout most of my usage. I wish the smartphones had Siri/Galaxy/whatever BB and Windows Phone uses had this utility available offline!

ios6 - I heard some "meh" things about ios6. It's actually slower when some folks updated to it (mostly Iphone 4/s users IIRC), has that whole "maps fiasco" on it (although I thought it was fixed, and again, I use my Galaxy s2 smartphone for maps anyways). Otherwise, no discernible difference. While I deliberately kept my IpT4 at ios5, I don't hate ios6. I'm neutral about it. The IpT5 comes with ios6, I'll just go with it.

Anything else stand out for those of you who went from IpT4 to IpT5?

EDIT: made some clarifications
    thanks for all the responses so far!

2. Sylvr

Sylvr Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2011
    #2 Sylvr, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
    i would think the biggest difference is LTE. beyond that, nothing much.

edit: lol whoops, didnt notice we were talking about the touch. nevermind, i have no experience in the matter ahah

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    For me the biggest thing was simply games didnt crash !

More and more games on my ipod touch 4 (or IpT4 as you like to call it) kept crashing time and time again as it simply wasnt as powerful enough.

Thats the sole reason i upgraded, dont have any crashes with any of the 'big name games' i buy for my ipod touch 4, sorry IpT4.

As for Siri I cant stand that and i've had it turned off since i got my device, waste of time. Dont care for colours either, i've gone for the standard black. As for the small hoop so you can hold it, nah havent bothered with that.

Dont know why you havent upgraded to iOS 6, to be fair i dont notice a huge difference but i think its good to keep up with the latest OS, looking forward to iOS7 in September time.

But the bigger screen, and better processor so games dont crash, that was worth it alone

4. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    #4 ackmondual, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
    You don't have to call it "IpT"... i'm just using the shorthand b/c I'm lazy. ;) And if I'm using a smartphone to type this, I especially wanna reduce the amount of keystrokes.

Hmm, perhaps games will load faster too.

With ios6, am concerned that some of my saves and data won't make it through, like when I upgraded from ios4 to ios5. Although at this point, I'm sure whatever I was retained from that migration will likely make it over to ios6 anyways, so it seems to be moot. However, I'm currently on a very slow wifi connection, so upgrading now may not be as practical.

LTE is only for Iphones, not Ipod Touches

5. Enjoo

Enjoo Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Don't forget iOS 7 support so you can use a controller. But if you want one, get one. The iPod 4 is dying.

6. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    You get Airplay. And you get demanding games, like LIMBO and Bastion!

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep good shout on AirPlay. I use that a lot

I was 'a bit' worried if I upgraded to ios6 about my saves etc. I have 500 apps on my iPod touch. Didn't have a problem with any

8. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Your touch 4 handles ios 6 well compared to 5? Its the only device I havent updated but seeing that ios 7 is coming and it probably wont run on a 4th gen I might upgrade to 6 if the performance is there. I usually update everything but my touch did took a significant hit in performance migrating from ios 4 to 5 so im not quite sure.

I have lots of games in there, only 4gb free of the 59 or so you actually get.

9. snitched

snitched Member

Mar 19, 2013
    running faster and less crashes is what happened for me on the switch. definitely worth it

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Sorry I need to update my user info. Bought an iPod touch 5 last August and sold my iPod touch 4

11. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    When I looked at the iPod 5, besides games not crashing, I was shocked by how much crisper the retina display was. It looks so much better then an iPod 4 (duh :p)

12. Geezer

Geezer New Member

Apr 24, 2013
    You going from a single core to a duel core 1ghz, with an extra 256mb worth of ram. It will run smoother and faster when it comes to games, so you'll probably have less crashes and that jazz.

13. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Ordered a 5G the day they were available. My 32GB 4G was given to my 5 y.o.; I felt guilty doing that as it is an unadulterated POS next to the 5G, something that even a 5 y.o. can tell.

14. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    It's not only wider but thicker esp with a nice case. It's a huge step up from the 4th gen IMO