Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 02-17-2014, 02:18 PM
TouchArcade Janitor
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry Hannahan View Post
I read that bots were used to create fake reviews for the game.
Incorrect, there was some sort of Twitter thing that was going around challenging people to come up with the most ridiculous iTunes reviews. When bots review games, that it'll look like is 90% of the reviews will be just inflating the star count with no text and 10% will be nonsensical stuff like "nice," "addictive," etc.

If you looked at Flappy Bird reviews, the vast majority of them were very long and obviously uniquely written by humans.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:28 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Incorrect, there was some sort of Twitter thing that was going around challenging people to come up with the most ridiculous iTunes reviews. When bots review games, that it'll look like is 90% of the reviews will be just inflating the star count with no text and 10% will be nonsensical stuff like "nice," "addictive," etc.

If you looked at Flappy Bird reviews, the vast majority of them were very long and obviously uniquely written by humans.
So was this whole "phenomenon" the internet equivalent of the "cool kids" picking one "nerd" to make "popular" for a day just to prove that they could?
Old 02-17-2014, 02:46 PM
TouchArcade Janitor
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojoRisin View Post
So was this whole "phenomenon" the internet equivalent of the "cool kids" picking one "nerd" to make "popular" for a day just to prove that they could?
No, I think people just enjoyed the game. This sort of experience was pretty typical:

Quote:
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...ith-a-weekend/

Iím normally immune to the addictive qualities of video games, getting hooked on one maybe once every five years. Flappy Bird had me from the beginning. It requires an astonishing amount of concentration. As I finally got more accustomed to its controls, my heart would begin racing as my score topped 10. I havenít felt that involved in a game for years, certainly not while playing first-person shooters or adventure games for consoles that cost exponentially more to make than Flappy Bird presumably did.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:47 AM

I wish people could just admit that Flappy bird was so successful because it was such a great game.
Sure, it was simple. Sure, it was annoying. Still it was a great game.
It did everything right.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:51 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer Kat View Post
I wish people could just admit that Flappy bird was so successful because it was such a great game.
Sure, it was simple. Sure, it was annoying. Still it was a great game.
It did everything right.
Thats never going to happen, people have such huge varied tastes. N-Sync had quite a few number 1 albums but i dont regard them as one of the top music acts of the last 30 years.

Simple games do well such as Angry Birds and others. I mean if this game was so 'great' its amazing no one picked up on it a year or so ago when it came out, review sites werent raving about it.

Social media helped make this terrible game great, its a dire game just people seemed to have got caught up with the hype. Its depressing to see the quality of great games out on iOS and people seem to think this is one of the best games
Old 02-18-2014, 09:13 AM
iPhone 5

Who cares.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Thats never going to happen, people have such huge varied tastes. N-Sync had quite a few number 1 albums but i dont regard them as one of the top music acts of the last 30 years.

Simple games do well such as Angry Birds and others. I mean if this game was so 'great' its amazing no one picked up on it a year or so ago when it came out, review sites werent raving about it.

Social media helped make this terrible game great, its a dire game just people seemed to have got caught up with the hype. Its depressing to see the quality of great games out on iOS and people seem to think this is one of the best games
Angry birds did so well, because it too, is amazing.
It is one of the few titles that appeal to people of all ages.

I never said it's one of the "best" games, but I will say that the Dev has done one of the "best" jobs of making a game that works well in a mobile environment (Dong Ngyen or Rovio).

Last edited by Lazer Kat; 02-18-2014 at 11:08 AM..
Old 02-18-2014, 02:45 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 4.x

Most games nowadays are copies of some other older game...

Some developers even revive (read destroy) classics and transform them to mimic newer games. (I'm looking at you Dungeon Keeper)
Old 02-20-2014, 08:13 AM
iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikavari View Post
Most games nowadays are copies of some other older game...
Yeah, but not that much.

https://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/touch-bird-tap-make-bird-flappy/id816857337?mt=8

Old 02-20-2014, 08:27 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojoRisin View Post
Yes, but without the cool kids.

I have to speculate that the developer's motivation for pulling the game had to be due, in part, to feeling guilty over some sort of unethical pimping of the game and not simply because it 'ruined his simple life.' Nobody's going to hate getting 50,000 dollars a day or whatever that game was making just because of some pretty minor attention in the grand scheme of things.