Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-17-2014, 02:18 PM
Eli's Avatar
Eli Eli is offline
TouchArcade Janitor
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x
 
Join Date: Feb 1983
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,267,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry Hannahan View Post
I read that bots were used to create fake reviews for the game.
Incorrect, there was some sort of Twitter thing that was going around challenging people to come up with the most ridiculous iTunes reviews. When bots review games, that it'll look like is 90% of the reviews will be just inflating the star count with no text and 10% will be nonsensical stuff like "nice," "addictive," etc.

If you looked at Flappy Bird reviews, the vast majority of them were very long and obviously uniquely written by humans.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-17-2014, 02:28 PM
MrMojoRisin MrMojoRisin is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Incorrect, there was some sort of Twitter thing that was going around challenging people to come up with the most ridiculous iTunes reviews. When bots review games, that it'll look like is 90% of the reviews will be just inflating the star count with no text and 10% will be nonsensical stuff like "nice," "addictive," etc.

If you looked at Flappy Bird reviews, the vast majority of them were very long and obviously uniquely written by humans.
So was this whole "phenomenon" the internet equivalent of the "cool kids" picking one "nerd" to make "popular" for a day just to prove that they could?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-17-2014, 02:46 PM
Eli's Avatar
Eli Eli is offline
TouchArcade Janitor
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x
 
Join Date: Feb 1983
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,267,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojoRisin View Post
So was this whole "phenomenon" the internet equivalent of the "cool kids" picking one "nerd" to make "popular" for a day just to prove that they could?
No, I think people just enjoyed the game. This sort of experience was pretty typical:

Quote:
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...ith-a-weekend/

Iím normally immune to the addictive qualities of video games, getting hooked on one maybe once every five years. Flappy Bird had me from the beginning. It requires an astonishing amount of concentration. As I finally got more accustomed to its controls, my heart would begin racing as my score topped 10. I havenít felt that involved in a game for years, certainly not while playing first-person shooters or adventure games for consoles that cost exponentially more to make than Flappy Bird presumably did.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-18-2014, 08:47 AM
Lazer Kat Lazer Kat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,080
Default

I wish people could just admit that Flappy bird was so successful because it was such a great game.
Sure, it was simple. Sure, it was annoying. Still it was a great game.
It did everything right.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-18-2014, 08:51 AM
psj3809 psj3809 is online now
Moderator
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 8,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer Kat View Post
I wish people could just admit that Flappy bird was so successful because it was such a great game.
Sure, it was simple. Sure, it was annoying. Still it was a great game.
It did everything right.
Thats never going to happen, people have such huge varied tastes. N-Sync had quite a few number 1 albums but i dont regard them as one of the top music acts of the last 30 years.

Simple games do well such as Angry Birds and others. I mean if this game was so 'great' its amazing no one picked up on it a year or so ago when it came out, review sites werent raving about it.

Social media helped make this terrible game great, its a dire game just people seemed to have got caught up with the hype. Its depressing to see the quality of great games out on iOS and people seem to think this is one of the best games
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-18-2014, 09:13 AM
Cilo Cilo is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,187
Default

Who cares.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-18-2014, 11:06 AM
Lazer Kat Lazer Kat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,080
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Thats never going to happen, people have such huge varied tastes. N-Sync had quite a few number 1 albums but i dont regard them as one of the top music acts of the last 30 years.

Simple games do well such as Angry Birds and others. I mean if this game was so 'great' its amazing no one picked up on it a year or so ago when it came out, review sites werent raving about it.

Social media helped make this terrible game great, its a dire game just people seemed to have got caught up with the hype. Its depressing to see the quality of great games out on iOS and people seem to think this is one of the best games
Angry birds did so well, because it too, is amazing.
It is one of the few titles that appeal to people of all ages.

I never said it's one of the "best" games, but I will say that the Dev has done one of the "best" jobs of making a game that works well in a mobile environment (Dong Ngyen or Rovio).

Last edited by Lazer Kat; 02-18-2014 at 11:08 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-18-2014, 02:45 PM
aikavari aikavari is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 290
Default

Most games nowadays are copies of some other older game...

Some developers even revive (read destroy) classics and transform them to mimic newer games. (I'm looking at you Dungeon Keeper)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-20-2014, 08:13 AM
nono6400 nono6400 is offline
Junior Member
iPad 2
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikavari View Post
Most games nowadays are copies of some other older game...
Yeah, but not that much.

https://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/touch-bird-tap-make-bird-flappy/id816857337?mt=8

...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-20-2014, 08:27 AM
smegly smegly is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojoRisin View Post
So was this whole "phenomenon" the internet equivalent of the "cool kids" picking one "nerd" to make "popular" for a day just to prove that they could?
Yes, but without the cool kids.

I have to speculate that the developer's motivation for pulling the game had to be due, in part, to feeling guilty over some sort of unethical pimping of the game and not simply because it 'ruined his simple life.' Nobody's going to hate getting 50,000 dollars a day or whatever that game was making just because of some pretty minor attention in the grand scheme of things.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent