Best Match-3 Games to Relax

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Pretty Gamer, May 27, 2013.

1. Pretty Gamer

Pretty Gamer New Member

May 24, 2013
    translater
    #1 Pretty Gamer, May 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2013
    Have you ever matched tiles in a match three game just to watch them falling down? I have :) Well, one more level, and another one, and then you find it’s suddenly 2 a.m. (the best case).

I’ve always enjoyed playing match three games – from the time I got my PC till now when I can get the most out of my Retina display. And I’ve got some personal experience to share.

I’ve chosen 5 of my fave match three games to give you an idea what they're like and compare their pros & cons among thousands of other match 3 apps on the App Store. Apps change the best apps stay popular, though. So, here is my TOP 5 (subjective :D):

Bejeweled
    URL deleted
    Fishdom
    7 Wonders
    Treasures of Montezuma

Bejeweled HD
    Let’s start with the kingpin – Bejeweled. It’s really perfect in its simplicity.

[​IMG]

The graphics in the game isn’t too sophisticated but the mechanics and extra features found the way to my heart! You have a look at it and don’t understand why millions of people play it until you try the game and get involved in matching and soon find out that you just can’t stop it.

The developers didn’t draw the levels and tiles for ages; they made them look simple, though perfectly polished, and prominent. The focus is on the mechanics rather than graphics. The sound effects are also great and catchy.
    You score as many points as you can, swapping and matching tiles. A range of bonuses are at hand to help when you are stuck – hypercubes, flame gems, star gems, etc. Knowing that tastes differ, the developers decided to specialize in different game modes. There are 4 extra ones for now.

[​IMG]

I’m still stuck to the Classic mode. You are not pressed for time and can match for ages. The Butterflies mode is also great. I can’t let the nasty spider get the poor creatures and try hard to save as many as possible. There are also Diamond Mine, Lightning and Zen modes. If you want a fast moving match (which I’m not really into) choose a Lightning mode or get Bejeweled Blitz. It’s a good challenge for your matching skills. It was also fun to experiment with Zen mode and play accompanied by the sounds of the ocean or forest and mantras for success.

So, if you are a perfectionist and want a special game mode for your mood, the Bejeweled series is just for you.

Pros: perfectly polished, 5 game modes with unique techniques
    Cons: vertical game field, too addictive

Fishdom HD

Fishdom I found cartoonish, light, easy-going and eye catching. So to say a perfect family game. What I really enjoyed.

[​IMG]

It plays out like a basic match-3 game. What makes it special is that you can influence the game and decorate your own aquarium. Isn’t it great when you can change something in the game play? So I took my time and created lots of pretty aquariums with pretty finned pets. Over 100 levels were just right for me. You can also replay it creating new aquariums and changing the decorations of your tank.

[​IMG]

The cartoonish graphics makes the game bright and fountaning. In general, the game looks friendly and inviting to play.

A number of thematic splashes should be mentioned. They all have their tiles and tanks adjusted to this or that theme. From Fishdom: Frosty Splash to Fishdom: Spooky Splash. I also liked the idea of Fishipedia in Fishdom 2 where I learned a lot about lovely fish pets.

So, If you like pretty graphics and Disney cartoons this app is right for you. These lovely finned fishies just can’t leave you indifferent.

Pros: easy-going, can decorate your own aquarium
    Cons: timed

7 Wonders
    There is one more lovely match three game -7 Wonders. A wonderful one :)

[​IMG]

With standard mechanics, it has its charm. You don’t just clean the board but provide mini-workers with precious stones for construction of famous buildings of the whole world. The geography is wider than in Cradle of Rome, but because of this it lacks a solid theme.

You have to use your wits quite a bit. Especially, when it comes to placing the key stone at the end of the level. I really appreciated the ‘Shuffle’ button in 7 Wonders 2. In this one you build not only ancient wonders but the mystic building around the world from South America to China.

7 Wonders: Ancient Alien Makeover disappointed me. Though it is based on the theory of aliens participating in constructing some of the Wonders, it was a bit too much for me. So, I can’t tell you the details of the game as I haven’t finished it.

On the other hand, I was rewarded by 7 Wonders: Magical Mystery Tour. It combined everything best from the previous ones and adding new characters and a touch of legends and myths.

Pros: has its twists, shuffle button
    Cons: a bit short

Treasures of Montezuma 3

And the last but not the least – Treasures of Montezuma 3. The iPad version looks more polished and grand than PC one to me.

[​IMG]

You match tokens and unlock chests of gold found in the jungle in more than 150 levels. There are also 42 puzzle levels to add to the challenge. The game is timed and you have to score as many points as you can within one minute unless you use the proper power-up to get more seconds. For the performance on a level you get medals.

There are two difficulty modes – Casual and Expert. But the only difference is in the number of points to score on each level. It was really great when I started the game in Casual mode and got a high score in a couple of levels, the game offered to change the difficulty mode. Although, by the middle of the game I had to come back to Casual one :) I also liked puzzles in between the levels where you clear the board and no new tokens appear.

Have to say that playing without using totems is impossible. You'll never get the right number of points. You earn special stars on the levels and can spend them in the shop on totems and power-ups you need. All the totems have their own color. To activate them, just match the tokens of corresponding color 2 times in a row.

Maybe, the matching board is too small and the puzzles are also based on matching and not extremely varied, but the visual and audio effects of the totems in action are really stunning.

[​IMG]

Try it to make your own impression of the game. And if it's your kind of game try also Treasures of Montezuma 2.

Pros: has its twists, spectacular video and audio effects
    Cons: can get too challenging

2. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    Interesting thread - and I enjoy Match 3 games - but I think this belongs in Game Discussion?

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I agree. A neat thought out thread but in the wrong forum. I moved it to General Games.

4. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Hey Pretty Gamer,

Is there any truth to Cradle of Rome 2 getting messed up after level 50 with some of the bonuses failing to work properly?

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #5 psj3809, May 27, 2013
    Last edited: May 27, 2013
    On the subject of fairness I've deleted their own game as I don't want people thinking the whole idea behind this thread is to praise their own game. The original poster hasn't said they work for one of the companies so it sounds a bit shillish

6. Enriana

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    Ahh, I didn't see it before the edit - hopefully the OP has more to contribute. I'll probably toss up some info on garnered from my match 3 addiction sometime later in the day. :)

7. rolex

rolex New Member

May 28, 2013
    ZooKeeper Battle seems to be very popular but I didn't like it personally. Very fast paced though so some may enjoy it

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Maybe not "relaxing" but Birzzle Pandora continues to be one of my favorite match-3 games.

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Great thread, but none of these did i enjoy. I do love match-3s, but usually hybrids.

My personal best-of list would include the following in noparticular order:
    Monster Ate My Condo
    Dungeon Raid
    Puzzle Craft
    Puzzle Saga
    Puzzle Quest 1
    Might & Magic Clash of Heroes

Honorable Mention: Legend Four

10. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    My favourite would have been Critter Crunch but it's no longer on iOS, at least I can still play it on PS3 but better suited to mobile.

11. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    In the TA app This thread is for Fishdom, it has the icon, ratings, pricing and download at the top of it like a release thread would.

12. Pretty Gamer

Pretty Gamer New Member

May 24, 2013
    translater
    #12 Pretty Gamer, May 28, 2013
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
    Well, as for me those levels in Cradle of Rome 2 were just harder that usual ones. I faced the difficulties starting from level 56 as they contain lots of chains and double tiles. But one thing was strange. Sometimes when I matched at the bottom a bonus appeared in my hand. I could have tapped by chance and had to watch closely to place it back before I used it. But I was happy to face the challenge and complete the game :)
    Have to say you should accumulate lives to go through. It's hardly possible to reach level 100 without loosing a life. I knew about it and was prepaered.

13. Pretty Gamer

Pretty Gamer New Member

May 24, 2013
    translater
    For now I'm into Bellyfish. It has great design and challenging controls. I love it.

Share your choice as well. It's interesting to know what other people are interested in.

14. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    QFT. Been one of my favorites for years. Also...promise you won't laugh at me, ok? ;)

i've been addicted to :ahem: Kitten Sanctuary:cough:. It has iCloud integration too.

15. Itchyant

Itchyant Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Piyo Blocks 2 and Zookeeper Battle are my two traditional match 3 favs. Love the short gameplay of ZB.

16. Enriana

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    I also really like that game. The graphics are really neat, and the concept makes me giggle. Plus.. kittens! There's a puppy one too, but I haven't played it.

10000000 is definitely another favorite, I was so sad when it ended & I got to the highest rank that I deleted my game and started again. ;)

I like Puzzle Craft, though for some reason it hasn't 'clicked' with me.. odd, because both genres are my favorites. Dungeon Story is another fun draw-a-line-to-match.

Puzzle Quest, obviously, this thread couldn't go long before it was mentioned. ;) I pretty much try any Puzzle Quest knockoff, and any puzzle RPG hybrids are fun for me. Triple Town as well, though I wish it wasn't just a one-off with each town.. and/or I were better at the game. ;)

Oh, and Rise of Blobs is cute. I know match 3 is one of the most "done" game concepts - and has been used to death in some places - but there's something really satisfying about matching things.

brb need to play everything I just mentioned

17. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I forgot about Bad Apples... pretty good match 3 too.

18. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Two faves off the top of my head:

Pawn'd (match 3 using the movement of chess pieces)

Gem Spinner II (twisted hybrid of gem swapping while moving whole blocks of gems as well)

19. Estrica

Estrica Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2012
    These aren't really match-3 games, but Dungelot, PuzzleCraft, DungeonStory and DungeonRaid I really liked.
    My favorite however is Azkend (the original one, but some might like Azkend 2 and Puzkend more). It really had a nice environment, music and all.

20. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Aside from many of the games already mentioned, Crazy Caps (HD) is excellent.