Universal Polara - (by Hope This Works)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Platyrrhine, Oct 10, 2012.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Right i'll give the lite version a go !

Remember this when it came out but i'm not a big runner fan but people are raving about it so this is coming from a total newbie.

Right loving the graphics, seems very smooth, obviously like the 'Ikargua' colour system, makes it far better than a 'normal' runner', eg a bit of 'puzzle' to it.

Now i feel guilty i didnt buy this when it first came out, shall be telling my friends about this. Very impressive, played the first two levels, really liked it so buying the full version now.

2. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Better late then never! ;) Glad you like it, definitely one one of my favourite games of the year, and I'm not a huge runner fan either. :)

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^In my case, despite being a big runner fan and having played hundreds of runner games, this game blew me away at first whiff.

4. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    What really makes this game stand out among the hundreds of credible auto-running platformers out there is the color-switching polarity mechanism. Of course, it is supported by lots of depth, ultra simple controls, and a good progression arc. Had this game come with Outland-esque graphics, it would have gotten a perfect 5/5 for me.

Shame that Apple never highlighted this game in any way in their end of the year round up. Def my top 5 games of the year (and I've played hundreds of the on iOS and ANdroid!).

5. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Yeah, this game is by far the best runner on this platform.
    And fantastic worth for the money too, no IAP, and lots of different game modes and challenges.

I really hope the devs made enough money to make a sequel a reality some day.

6. laszlo_kovacs

laszlo_kovacs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Oh man...this game had been sitting in a folder for about a month until I saw this thread. I've got all the POLARAs and about half flawless. I just remembered how challenging and deep this game is. Getting my ass kicked.

This and Mikey Shorts are where it's at for me if we're talkin favorites for the year.

7. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    This game definitely gets in my TouchArcade Forum's Pick for 2012 Game of the Year nominations. Its outstanding in every way and has a story behind it, something uncommon on the runner genre. And there are a lot more votes for that game too so far. Thats how good it is. One of 2012 best games

8. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Just wanted to remind everyone that if Polara was among the Top 10 games you played this year, please proceed to the General Discussion section and nominate Polara along with 9 other games for the Game of the Year award.

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Great post!

10. HTWGames

HTWGames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Merry Christmas Everyone! Hope everyone is having some fun on the holidays... I got spoiled with Xbox games haha super nerd!

Anyway reading over this thread from the last few weeks has been awesome. We really do appreciate the interest. We're going to try and keep it going with a Mac and PC release and looking at a PS Vita port. The output has slowed because of money issues, but who knows what tomorrow brings right?

I just received notice that in Germany, a digital Magazine called Stromstock has included us in their top 30 games of the year beside some seriously incredible titles. It's small but maybe a rumbling, who knows ;) you can read it here but it's in German http://www.stromstock.de/2012/12/26/die-30-besten-ipad-spiele-des-jahres-2012-teil-3/

Either way Im flattered you're voting for our title and so glad you guys are enjoying it. We worked long and hard on it to offer something unique and worthwhile.

Again I hope you all are enjoying your holidays, for those that haven't any I hope you're enjoying your Wednesday! I'll raise a beer to you all tonight!

Cheers everyone!
    Dennis

11. EnterNexus

EnterNexus Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Congratulation in being one of the best platformers of the year! You guys deserved it, and more!

12. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Hahaha whaaaaaat!? That's intense :D I wasn't expecting that, and to be kept out of the Endless Runner genre was super sweet, didn't want to be pidgeon holed there.

Wow...just wow, thanks to everyone who voted, that's incredible! Thank you all for your support through this year! Quite the after Christmas Christmas gift ;)

Cheers everyone!!!

13. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Yeah I'm glad that you guys didn't end up on the endless runners list too. Platformers sound more "intelligent". Anyways, congrats. Financially, the game may not have rewarded you well, but again thanks for this gemofagame!

14. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I hope making part of TA's 2012's Best will boost sales.

Cheers for a new year and a better chart for Polara's sales!

15. leonard_dabinski

leonard_dabinski Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    I just played this game after it was highlighted as nVision's Best mobile game of 2012 that you never played. Superb game this is with sound mechanics and varied levels.

But, I think the fact that this game has met very little success on either Android or iOS is all the fault of the developers. You don't just make a game and post it to the appstores, and hope God conjures some magic and brings millions to your doorstep.

As far as I am aware, even small indie devs have budgets at least worth $1000 to invest in a marketing campaign, and I do not believe HTH took such an initiative.

Remember, making good games is just half the battle. The other half is spending time and money on an effective marketing campaign, which you guys have failed to do.

16. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Thanks for playing the game we're glad you enjoyed it. Perhaps you could further our knowledge on exactly what we should have done and perhaps we can put these things into practice and see what will happen.

I will however point out that we didn't just sit here and expect people to download the game. We did a number of giveaways, hired a PR company which gained us quite a bit of exposure on web media, have done a number of giveaways throughout the year to the excess of almost 300,000+ titles in 2012 alone which cross promote our game on new storefronts, we cross promoted with Get Set Games Mega Run to the tune of 1400 click throughs a minute, we have had promo code giveaway where we asked those whom got the codes to spread the word on Twitter which none of them did save 2, we are trying to get involved with promotions and bundles that would ensure a number of new customers, we have been featured twice last year by Google with Kunundrum, and once this year (this week just passed) with Polara, tried countless of times to reach a Twitter community, did an IAmA on Reddit, that article on Penny Arcade(which was their idea to publish, thankfully they were kind enough to do so) got us the attention of a number of people, I've tried introducing the title to other communities on other forums, tried to connect with Mike's Crazy App Reviews to do a video review and SEO campaign, we were chosen on a number of best apps of 2012 which was spread through social networks, we've tried banner advertising which has really been a complete flop(10,000 impressions on a 250x500px banner and we got maybe 15?), tried to hand out codes to those that could help solidify the credibility of the title(other major talents in the industry like ex-EGM editors, celebrities, major creative forces), have run Facebook campaigns through their user acquisition marketing, ran a marketing campaign through Flurry with a paid supported click through initiative, we have been approached by publishers such as Zynga, Moonshark Games, And a few others but they can't help until we can produce another title that is Freemium. We are looking at a port over to PS Vita and are trying to find places to publish the PC /Mac versions on storefronts at the moment and every marketing team I contact outright says the game must be freemium because no one is bothering with the traditional paid paradigm anymore.

I'd love to be able to create a campaign that would push the game further, but apart from rational research that indicated that most traditional methods of advertising are now in fact useless as you tend to run into ROI percentages and people that have tested these waters that say steer clear of these money vacuums.

Now in saying that, if you have suggestions, let us know :) I'd be glad to look into these methods. We're trying to get involved with some other initiatives that will expose the game more through promotional incorporated networks through SDK integration; whether that works is up in the air.

Also for your general knowledge, 1000 bucks is hardly anything for marketing. You need somewhere between 30-50,000 to do anything of note really.

Also if you're considering suggesting a giveaway I'd also point out that we've done those til the cows come home. They don't work and they end up just giving things away to people that don't seem to talk about it. Though you did say you bought the game because of the article that was written about us by Ryan at nVision which is awesome. Press coverage is great, which is what we've also got a lot of that has helped us so that's another form of exposure that has worked for us.

I think it's just indicative of the way the market is shifting. People are expecting to play a game with only having to pay for extra ingredients. It's a fine line we are treading as designers and business proprietors. When 1 dollar becomes the decision maker I wonder what the future holds for anyone trying to make anything digital anymore.

In any event I'm super happy you got it and tried it and enjoyed it. That's all we're asking people to do anyway :) and by the reflected reviews and articles written about us I'd say we've done a pretty good job of creating entertainment :)

Please, let me know your suggestions, where you look, what advertising hits you in the face the most so we can add it to the research on where we should place our ads.

Thanks!

17. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    Tq for the mega reply HTH!

I am quite an avid mobile gamer, but the truth is I never heard of your game prior to reading it on nVision. Never saw an ad etc on any major mobile gaming website. In any case, you detail what you did above, so it is fair to say that you did indeed put in time, effort and money into marketing the game. Sorry for implying you did otherwise in that respect.

Now, Polara is a great game, but I cannot believe that Zynga asked for it to be freemium. Cannot be true. Zynga has a new "partners" program, and not too long ago (in November I think) they published a fully premium game called Twist Pilot.

If having some form of IAPs is totally necessary to sign on with the big boys, I'd say go for it. Just make sure the IAPs are non-essential. Such as in Wimp, where a $0.99 IAP is there to unlock all levels without playing them. Try publishers like Chillingo (I believe they will still look at a premium game) or Crescent/Forest Moon Games.

A PS Vita port would be great and help establish your greatness. As would one on Steam. Heck, I'd reckon if you can get working PC/Mac/Steam versions of your game soon, go for a Humble (Android) Bundle too! They always look for brilliant indie titles such as this.

All things said, I am liking Polara more and more. The level design is...I don't know, there's no word to describe it accurately enough! I really would love to see a sequel for this. Here's to hoping Google will feature it on the Play Store too! (I don't think they've featured the game before, contrary to what you say).

Otherwise, when some money comes in, a small 10-level HARDCORE expansion pack would be cool! Sell this for $0.99 even if need be.

Finally, I call on to you to try lifting back the price on Android at least to $2.99 (or at least $1.99). $0.99 is a little "cheap" looking and I know many folks who don't give two shits about games priced at that price-point. Get what I mean?

18. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    There's something missing on level 43 that doesnt let me advance, an item is missing I believe because without a turbo warp its impossible... here is a screenshot:

[​IMG]

And this is the obstacle right before it and then one showing the next obstacle... if it helps....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

iPhone 4 iOS 6.0.1 not jailbroken

Please help me

And now some praise: Polara, for me, is the best auto-non-endless-runner along Rayman Jungle Run there is... if you are interested, dont hesitate to buy it, but if your on the fence, try the lite version instead. Please do yourself a favor and play this masterpiece.

19. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    I think it can be done. The momentum from the previous blue warp will allow you to progress. Just hop into the blue, change to red immediately. See if it helps or not.

I played on Android so I managed to finish all through.

20. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Thanks a lot! Damn Im dumb sometimes...