Interview With Blue Carrot Design, Developers of 'Axe in Face' and 'Amazing Charlie'

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by triggywiggy, Sep 12, 2011.

1. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    I have managed to get have an interview with Blue Carrot Design. Hopefully you guys will enjoy. Thanks to Glen for the reply.

I understand you use Unity3D in the development of your games, what advantages does it have over other development kits?

Unity3D is an awesome tool in so many ways. I see three big advantages of using Unity. 1) The workflow of the game development is incredible fast. With both of my game I had a working prototype after just one week. It allows for quick play testing and it is easy to try new things out. Also I'm not afraid of trying something odd, because if I don't like it I can easily remove it again and try something else. 2) The program language is C# which means a lot to me. Also I don't have to worry about a lot of technical stuff when making game. I can focus on programming the gameplay and forget about all of the low-level programming. 3) The community is awesome. It is really easy to get help, and most of the people on the forums are friendly and helpful.

I understand that 'Axe in Face' has been a major success in you and others eyes. Just how successful was the game and is it still receiving sufficient purchases?

I've sold around 110.000 units of Axe in Face to this date and I still sell around 100-150 units a day. 110.000 is not a lot when compared to other big titles, but as a single developer it is sufficient enough to pay the rent and keep making games :) So I'm quite satisfied as I know that the app market is a tough market. I think it is funny how a review or similar can kickstart the sales again. Recently Axe in Face was shown on MTV in the Netherlands which increased the sales in this country remarkable.

Are you planning on updating 'Axe in Face' sometime in the future. If so what are you planning for Red Beard?

Even though I love Charlie very much, Red Beard still has a special place in my heart. I've always loved unsympathic main characters. And I think a lot of other people also like Red Beard for his crazy obsession and his dramatic way of dealing with insensitive fellow vikings. I don't know what it is with angry characters, but they are just way more interesting. I mean, there is a reason why Donald Duck got more famous than Mickey Mouse even though Walt Disney rather would have wanted Mickey to be the most beloved character. But to answer your questions: Yes. Red Beard will return. Hopefully before the end of this year. I cannot say a lot about the update, but I can promise you that the new levels will introduce some new game mechanics that requires the player to be on his toes. I can also reveal that it will have something to do with the sea.

Your latest game 'Amazing Charlie' has just been released how long did that game take to make and are you happy with the final results?

When I released Axe in Face I was very skeptical. I was uncertain if someone would ever like the game. And I feel somewhat the same way about Amazing Charlie. I think it has something to do with the process of developing a game. In the beginning you have all these ideas for what you believe is a great game, but when you have worked with the game in several month, the enthusiasm drops and you forget why the game is fun at all. It doesn't mean that I don't like the game, but when you've completed the game more than 30 times it is not that fun anymore. Luckily I've tested the game on a lot of people before releasing it, and most of the feedback was positive, so hopefully it will be just as successful as Axe in Face. I took around 5 month to produce Amazing Charlie. But I already started developing ideas for the game around 8 months ago.

Do you have any other game idea's? Any plans for a sequel to 'Axe in Face' or even 'Amazing Charlie'.

I have a lot of ideas that i would love to try out. The only thing I need is time. But I also want to revisit previous games, so i need to find a balance of developing some new and updating current games. Honestly as a game developer you would always prefer to try out new things, but I get a lot of mails asking for more levels in Axe in Face, and making the fans happy is also a part of this business so hopefully I will be able to satisfy both my own needs as well as the fans.

Earlier this year you released 'Timbers Axe' what gave you the idea for the character?

Timbers Axe was made in collaboration with Jelly Helm Studio in Portland. They contacted me and asked me if I wanted to do a free version of Axe in Face starring their mascot Timber Joey. It sounded like a lot of fun and I said yes.

Do you think iOS is one of the most easiest and best platforms to develop for?

I really cannot answer this questions, because I haven't worked with other platforms. But generally I do like the App Store and believe it is one of the best digital store from a user's perspective compared to other mobile platforms.

2. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Also if you guys are interested I have a TwoTribes interview if you want me to post that? (Devs of Swords and Soldiers)

3. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Please do ;)