Game Center Update: Whats New For It?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by triggywiggy, Jun 6, 2011.

1. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    #1 triggywiggy, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
    Game Center is about to get a whole lot better than it ever was! To see a video on the new IOS update go to this link http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/gallery.html#video-ios

Taken From Apple.com/ios/ios5.com
    So to go over what is getting added to GC
    -Avatars: You can now display your avatar/profile picture for everyone to see.
    -Achievement Leaderboards: Now i think everyone agrees that this is something Game Center was missing. Well its now here! We can see where we are compared to our friends in Achievement Rankings!
    - Friends: You can now search for Game Center Friends by name, It even gives you a list of reccomended friends!
    - Games:Game Center now tells you what games are the best. You can now see games ratings in the app plus "you can now buy games in Game Center!" There also is now increased support for turn-based games.
    - OtherSome parts of the app have been redesigned and look better than ever. Game Center requests now show up on lock screen.

Also they released IMessages that allows you to chat to contacts just like it was MSN. It will be interesting to see if this supports friends from GC.

Now it is clear that this will only be available to those with a IPod Touch 3G, IPod 4, IPhone 3GS, IPhone 4, IPad, IPad 2.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Also, increased support for turn-based games. It appears all the heavy lifting will be handled by GC.

3. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Yeh, I have it all on a pad, Can't type it up now, Things still on. THIS IS AWESOME. ICLOUD!

4. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Well just to copy and paste from slide to plays live blogging:GC has 50 million users so far. XBL only has 30 mil. Photos added, see friends of friends, compare achievement points, suggest friends and games, download games through GC, support for turn-based games.

Seems like some good improvements but have to wait until fall :(

5. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Also to add on anyone seen that Notification Center? :D :D :D :D

Shall i turn this thread into a IOS5 Info thread?

6. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Also look at what new apps we get, Newstand, Messages, Photo editing, Reminders!

[​IMG]

7. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Damn, this definitely sounds pretty awesome. Online play and friend networking are pretty much always the most important parts of games for me. I'll take a decent online game over a good single-player game any day. Those new default apps look really cool as well.

8. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Yeh Apple have gone all out with gun's blasting with this update! Cya Google, Microsoft.

See you Palaringo :p

9. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    All sounds good to me and much needed. These new GC features plus the new OS 5 features(particularly updating devices without the need of syncing to your PC anymore) sound like solid updates. Looking forward to seeing them all in action.

10. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    You can now get a new IDevice and set it up without a PC or MAC :eek:

11. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Yeah, thats dope! :cool:

12. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Holy shit. Have people seen the AppStore today? It now tells you which games are already downloaded to your iTunes, and which games you've previously downloaded and don't have on your iTunes. It's only a minor improvement, but it's definitely really, really useful/helpful. Looking forward to more of these small advances by Apple.

13. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I'm very glad Apple released 10.3(Beta) so soon after announcing. Can't wait to get around to having time to download the update from iTunes as well. This may just be a better update than whatever games are scheduled to be released this Wednesday. :p

14. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    The one on your device? I can't see any differences. Where am i meant to be looking.

15. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    go to the updates menu on your device, its at the top

This feature has no landed yet on itunes though has it? I cannot see it anyway. I see a quick link for purchased items, but it just takes me to a screen saying icloud beta, download itunes now (i have 10.2.2)

16. blindspot

blindspot Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Scholarly Publisher
    Berkeley, CA
    #16 blindspot, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
    All of this is great, but where is the feature that allows me to open Game Center and see if my friends have it open too? Or a currently playing a game using Game Center? Am I simply supposed to just send each of them notifications out of the blue that I want to play online and wait for them to respond or not? :confused:

Seems it would better for me to open Game Center and see which friends are "in the mood" by whose also logged in to Game Center or at least by being able to see that they had logged in recently. Then I would only suggest a game to those friends who I see are "ready" to play. Many online game systems accomplish this with a "lobby" metaphor. Will there be any such useful thing as this coming to Game Center with iOS 5?

17. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    You can see the friends that have logged in recently by opening your friends list.. the top name logged in the most recently.

18. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    I wish the new gc would also have a built in msg system so you could talk to your friends.

Maybe its just me but id also like to see gc track how long i have been playing each games, along the lines of what steam does.

19. triggywiggy

Jan 24, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Well at the WWDC when they announced the new GC features straight afterwards they went into Imessages. I have a feeling that you will be able to you iMessages as a chat and you can import GC friends.