$1,400,000 Video Game Tournament Victory

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by undeadcow, Aug 13, 2013.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #1 undeadcow, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
    These people...
    [​IMG]

won $1,400,000 playing Defense of the Ancients 2 (PC)...
    [​IMG]

Details...

2. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    :eek:
    Looks like I gotta take my gaming more seriously!

3. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Fred Savage thinks so too...

[​IMG]

4. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
  5. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    that is a screenshot of the original dota mod. they were playing dota 2.

6. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    That is really sick! Im sure i could beat these guys easy lol

7. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Thank you, corrected screenshot.

8. natedogg213

natedogg213 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Blogger
    Colorado
    Shouldn't they be Korean?

9. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    there were some eastern teams that competed but none of them did that well, actually.

this is the final game 5 of the tournament: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8HBr1EGX1I

10. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    there were some eastern teams that competed but none of them did that well, actually.

this is the final game 5 of the tournament:

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I sure wouldn't pay to watch something like that. LOL.

12. TheEvilRobot

TheEvilRobot Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013

My thoughts exactly.

I'm so glad they got paid so much for contributing to society. They really deserve $1,400,000 (Sarcasm)

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    That's absurd, and probably as boring to watch as golf.

14. BulldogBaby86

BulldogBaby86 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Student
    California
    The entertainment industry contributes heavily to American culture, whether you like it or not. Professional athletes have yearly salaries far greater than this. Consider also that the money will be split between the team members (at least 5 guys, if not 6 or 7 if they have subs) plus their management. It's still a lot of money, but it's not even close to what a baseball or football player might make. Aaron Rodgers, for instance, makes at least twice that per game.

15. Jungle Friend Studios

Aug 19, 2013
    CEO
    USA/Philippines
    There's like 7 starcraft channels in Korea and plenty of gamers are making a living playing and developing fanbases on twitch.tv

That sort of prize is awesome though. I thought it was going to be a poker tournament at first.

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    What a retarded statement. It's practically on the same level as any sport, only this one involves blood and magic. Gaming as a sport definitely deserves any recognition it gets, there's more strategy involved here than in any of that crap involving a ball and men in tight pants.

17. TheEvilRobot

TheEvilRobot Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013

We all have different opinions. It is not a fact that video games are considered a sport and calling other peoples opinions "retarded" is uncalled for. Please try to use words other than "retarded" as many people find that word offensive.

Thank you for your OPINION

18. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #18 Primoz, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
    Guess I'm retarded too. I never watch other people playing video games, because its a complete waste of time, I rather play them.

Oh and if you think that people are watching sport to see a ball and men in tight pants, that's ok. You might as well admit that you're homosexual. But that's ok, I don't judge you.

19. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Gaming a sport? Moreover on the "same level" as any other? You almost made me laugh out loud there.

No.

20. florhackson

florhackson Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    I hate the term esports. Just call it a competition. That being said, if you play and enjoy moba's, which is what Dota 2 is, then this can be very enjoyable to watch. It does take a large amount of skill to play at the level they played at. That 1 million was put up by Valve, then another 400,000 got added on by players buying a certain item in game, with the proceeds being split between valve and the pot.

If you think they aren't generating money by holding these tournaments think again, due to twitch.tv streams, plus ad time, plus sponsors, plus the amount of items bought in game, valve is making a truckload of money. This can also be said about LoL which had a Million dollar tourney.

Valve recently just followed the same item buying putting money back in the community into cs:go. And from a couple of articles I have read, they are already rolling in money from that.

So pretty much it seems like they are handing money out, but they are just following a smart business model and continuing to make money.