Turn-based RPGs?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dalfiuss, Jun 24, 2009.

1. dalfiuss

dalfiuss Member

Apr 22, 2009
    What are the best turn based RPGs out there? For some reason it seems a lot of developers are focusing on shoehorning action-RPGs onto the system, when turn based RPGs would work so much better.

I think the port of something like Zenonia was done fairly well, but the game itself is a very bad game, but it is given a free pass because it is on the iPhone. Zenonia was originally for more standard mobile phones in Korea, and it shows that it is a port of a standard mobile game, while the iPhone should be getting ports or games similar to those found on the DS/PSP or console systems such as the PS1/PS2/N64.

Turn based RPGs would be extremely easy to control, and could actually be deep, complete experiences.

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I still play Vay so I'll stick with that answer. Full console game ported to the iphone with new controls and updated graphics (though you can still use the old ones if you like)

3. Chrono

Chrono Member

Mar 9, 2009
    +1

I can't wait to see Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star (hey Sega) Lunar, Grandia 1, or similar in my phone.

4. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    The Quest (?)

5. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Legend of Amon is in devlopement and it is a turn based RPG and still shocked no one mentioned it.

6. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    It's not a turn based rpg. It's like diablo.

7. K7A7O7S

K7A7O7S Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Full time something...
    St Louis, MO USA
    Actually they said they are making it turn based, claiming that it will help with bad frame rate, or something like that. But indeed it is turn based.

8. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Vay is the only turn-based RPG right now. I don't have it so I don't know much about it, but from the screenshots it seems that the graphics are really out of date. Extremely good storyline/music/combat might make up for it.
    I'm anticipating an epic turn-based RPG (like Zenonia for the action genre) also.

9. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    yes, please!

10. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    damn...chrono sure did made alot of request for Chrono Trigger!