What is 'Others' in iPhone capacity bar?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by don_k, Jul 11, 2009.

1. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    When you sync your iPhone, you can see a capacity bar from iTunes and it reads like this:
    Audio, Video, Photos, Apps, Other.
    What's 'Other'?

My iPhone is not and has never been jailbroken, so it can't be that. I've also emptied suspect apps like AirSharing. So what's 'Other' and how can I delete it? It's taking 800mb of my iPhone!!

2. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    occasionally itunes won't recongnize a video, podcast, or application as an app and just says other instead. It's not extra data.

3. weisome

weisome Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Behind You!
    I think it is probably like the contacts, bookmarks in Safari, and all the little settings.

4. mrchennyken

mrchennyken Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure "other" is the iPhone OS.

5. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    It's part of it, but it sure as hell ain't 800 megs. Other is only 400 mb on my iPod.

6. weisome

weisome Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Behind You!
    Maybe but when we first bought the device and sync it to iTunes, nothing shows up in the Capacity bar. Isn't the iPhone OS built in?

7. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    no they have a certain space for the iphone os its not included in the data count

8. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Other is all the fonts, menus, and all the included applications like Safari, Notes, Phone, etc. For jailbroken devices, the other will be larger because that's where your themes, Winterboard, etc. is stored.

I'm just guessing :p

9. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    actually i think it is in the data count. the memory the device claims to have is just an estimate.

10. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    It's not efficient to have two separate storage devices in the same device. You'd have to pool together the OS and the music/apps/video/photo, which would take a good flow of power. The OS is included in the data count, everything is kept in the same hard drive.

11. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

The OS is the 200mb not shown in iTunes since it is not removable through normal means. The total storage space isn't 8gb in iTunes.

12. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Soo... it seems no one really knows what it is, lol.
    I'm just wondering if 'restoring' (format and restore from backup) would help?

13. nightbeaver

nightbeaver Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    yeah i noticed that happens usually when reach or go beyond half my total storage. also all my apps get un checked in the sync menu. but if i delete a few apps and go under my half of my then everything goes back to normal. i guess apple doesnt want you to use up half your storage space on apps maybe due to performance issues im guessin

14. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    but I reached half my total storage long time ago. I have a 16gb iPhone and my freespace has always been around 4gb.

15. Freegoo

Freegoo Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    If you use something like Datacase, Air Sharing, etc. Anything that it stores takes up residense in the "other" category. Be it a document file, music, video or whatever.

16. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    |
    v

Thanks, but:

17. Greko

Greko Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Student
    Canada
    #17 Greko, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
    I've had the "Other" section of my Capacity bar hit some big numbers on occasion too. I've found that resetting the iPhone/iPod touch fixes this problem by releasing the data of whatever was sitting in that area of the device.

Be warned that if you're running iPhone OS 3.0 that there is an issue with app icons being messed up whenever you reset the device.
    If you don't know what version of the iPhone OS you're running, tap the Settings app on your iPhone/iPod touch, then tap "General", and then tap "About" and look at "Version".
    You can also connect your device to iTunes and in the "Summary" pane of the iPhone/iPod touch, look at the "Software Version".

If you are running iPhone OS 3.0, read the following on the reset procedure workaround for fixing the app icon bug and to refresh the system memory as well.
    If you're running iPhone OS 2.x you can also use the following procedure.
    The first 2 steps are to save the current state of the device before you reset it so that things don't get moved around. (In case anyone was wondering why you bother to turn it off before you reset it.)

1. After you sync your device in iTunes, disconnect the iPhone/iPod touch and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the red "slide to power off" slider appears. Slide that to turn off the device.

2. After it's been shut off, hold the Sleep/Wake button for about 3-5 seconds to turn the device back on.

3. Once the iPhone/iPod touch has finished booting and you can see your Home screen; hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons simultaneously for about 10 seconds or until the screen turns off and turns back on showing you an Apple logo.
    Once you see that Apple logo, you can release the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons and let it reboot.

4. After it's done rebooting, connect the device to iTunes and look at the Capacity bar. The numbers should have changed (most often decreased) prior to the reset.

And for anyone who doesn't know the difference between a "restart" and a "reset" on the iPhone/iPod touch and is afraid something bad will happen to their device, read the following:

- A "restart" is when you hold the Sleep/Wake button and slide that red "slide to power off" slider to turn off the device. After it turns off and you turn it back on, that is called a "restart".

- A "reset" is when the device is completely rebooted to refresh the system memory and also used to fix a device that was frozen as well. A "reset" is initiated by holding down the Sleep/Wake + Home buttons for around 10 seconds or when the screen turns off and turns back on showing you an Apple logo.

A "reset" takes longer than a "restart" as well. Roughly around 1 minute for a "reset" compared to around 20-30 seconds for a "restart".

18. dorino

dorino Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    On my jailbroken iPod, "other" is about 7gb.

I believe it's because I download movies on my iPod through dTunes, and that puts it in a seperate location, hence other.

:D

19. nightbeaver

nightbeaver Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    well i suppose that does it for that theory. i really wish i know why it wants to wipe my apps the way it does. its a real pain in the tail to have go through my list of apps getting my app library back :eek:maybe mine is broken that would be great cuase ii only had it a year and i can trade for a new shiny one at the apple store although the apple store kinda creeps me out