Universal Crash Dive (by Panic Ensues Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    I rate it 5 stars! My first Sub Simulation was Silent Service for MS DOS ... many years ago ... this Comes very, very close ... but it Looks way better ... and was well made for the touch Interface. :)

2. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Ok ok ...... You got me. Downloading now

3. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I bought it too then I also bought that other ine Pacific Fleet. Both top games.

4. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    This game is f'ing awesome...

That is all.

5. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Pacific fleet? What kinda game?

6. thematrixx

thematrixx Active Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Stupid stupid game! I am now totally useless to do anything productive with my ipad..now I just play this one awesome sub game....anyone who even thinks they might enjoy a sub sim...just buy it!!
    Easily the best game on my ipad and I have purchased hundreds!

7. plan9

plan9 Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Male
    A mission editor (time, weather (rain?), number/type of enemy ships) and maybe some external views (boat, torpedo, target) might be a nice addition too (although I think the original Silent Service didn't have external views either). Maybe it's even possible to add dynamic weather conditions? But anyway, it's a great game already :)

@thematrixx I completely agree

8. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    This game is worth 3x the price!

For me, the only thing missing are dud torpedoes, that would make it perfect.

9. thematrixx

thematrixx Active Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Attack a destroyer less then 300 yards the torpedoes are not yet armed! Found that out the hard way!

10. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    I was pretty close to an enemy and let loose a cluster of torpedoes but they went under my target. Guessing I need to ascend to a hire depth before firing. Sweet game though

11. Right, the torpedoes need some space to rise if you're firing submerged. The green torpedo track (with the time markers) changes from ghosted to solid at the point where a torpedo will reach the surface; use that as a guide to either ascend or back off to make sure you hit.

Next version will have a fourth difficulty mode that introduces dud torpedoes. For you masochists who like that kind of thing. :)

Glad you're enjoying it!

-Scott

12. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Sounds really great! I still love this game! :)

13. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Well I'm liking this one. It's good for a quick play when I can't be bothered to fire up Silent Hunter III on my PC. The only thing it lacks really is an external view that would really add to game immersion. I want to see my sub occasionally and the only way is when I've taken damage - not the best of times to be admiring your boat!

I'd also like to see my targets underwater after they have started sinking and heading for the ocean floor - so satisfying...

14. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    is there a custom mode whereby you can choose the number of boats, types of boats, etc.

15. No, each convoy you encounter is randomly generated. But if you launch a Single Mission and don't like the ship make-up, you can always disengage and re-roll.

16. thematrixx

thematrixx Active Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Too bad the destroyers cannot have a limitation of depth charges...I mean seriously that they can pound you mercilessly yet we have very limited torpedoes....or maybe if your depth could affect whether or not they actually hit you..as we know the depth charges had to be preset to a depth that the destroyer believed you were at..could add more strategic choices for escaping...just sayin...but having said all that....loving this game!

17. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    I'm impressed at the amount of work still going into this game - and all the changes/fixes sound good. This is a "keeper" for sure.

18. Actually, that's exactly how it works in Crash Dive. When a destroyer "pings" you, they get your depth, and set their depth charges for that depth. So changing depths is an effective tactic for avoiding depth charge attacks.

Of course, the downside is that you have to either ascend (making you easier to pick up on sonar) or dive (making it harder to escape implosion if you do get hit and start flooding).

There can also be cases where a destroyer has an idea where you are without a sonar ping (based on spotting a torpedo or your periscope before you dive); in that case, they will make a "best guess" of your depth.

Regards,

-Scott

19. jForsythe

jForsythe Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2013
    I have had and loved crash dive for a while now and it is one of my fav games on my iPad I love sim type games and while looking for other sim games I found out that Das Boot was on the App Store but got taken off does anyone know why.?

20. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #60 VirtualBoyFreak, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
    Now that Atlantic Fleet has launched, I learn of Crash Dive. Can anyone who owns both say which one is better for quick, randomized casual submarine battles? This one seems to be getting a lot of updates too. EDIT: Metacritic doesn't have any reviews for this one. Has no media reviewed it?!?!