Universal Canabalt (by Semi Secret Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by costanza, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Adam Atomic

Adam Atomic Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Indie Game Dev
    Austin, TX
    in just a few days Canabalt will be receiving an update with Game Center support, proper retina support, and a lot of performance fixes, including full 60 FPS gameplay on retina and iPad devices! If we can break $5000 by tomorrow morning we can make another announcement :)

2. SLDROFHLA

SLDROFHLA Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    I have a 8gb 1st gen touch (i know laugh at it, but I'm getting a 4g this week) and canabalt is honestly one of the best games i have ever played. the framerate does stutter once in a while, but it is nowhere near unplayable, even on my hardware. can't wait to play it with retina support

3. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    So... the framerate for the 3gs won't be fixed?

4. cjsbug

cjsbug Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I hope it is since I'm not in the market to upgrade devices just yet.
    I'm ready to hit the buy button, but maybe I'll wait to see if this is answered.

5. cherdman

cherdman Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    #1005 cherdman, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
    Holy moly :eek: Can't wait!

6. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    It would be kind of bizarre if the frame rate for 3gs/older models wasn't fixed. It was working perfectly smoothly before the the iOS 4 update (1.4 or whatever). I'm hoping they just forgot to mention it, but talking about 60 FPS specifically on "iPad and Retina devices" has me somewhat concerned.

7. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    how does this run on an ipod touch 2G

I've been holding off due to the reported performance issues.

8. Ravenlock

Ravenlock Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    I also hope to hear the 3GS performance problems have been fixed. I was one of the people who staunchly defended the game's "premium" (for a run and jump game) $3 price point at launch, and I have to admit I felt more than a little disappointed when suddenly the game started performing poorly on my device and no word from the developer came out saying they would address the problem.

9. ipod_david

ipod_david Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    jippiiii GC update!! with achievements?
    Awesome, thanks in advanced Canabalt-man!

10. Crazy_Possum

Crazy_Possum Well-Known Member

It runs well on my iTouch 2G. I haven't had any problems with it.

I've been wondering about this game's protaganist. What is he running from? What has he done? Is he trying to get himself killed, only to have some existential entity force him to keep on jumping?

11. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Would've loved to grab this, but with all the talk about lag on the 3GS...

12. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    When did you pick it up?

I've noticed that some people who have been saying "it runs fine" bought it after the 1.4 version and therefore might not notice the lowered frame rate to the same extent as those of us that played the living hell out of it before the 1.4 update. Give the flash version online a shot for a while and see how it compares. The iPhone version used to be just as smooth as the flash version.

Yeah. Normally I would advise holding off and keeping an eye on the thread until you see 3gs owners screaming gleefully about how it runs at a decent frame rate again.

However... it's $0.99 cents... and it's doubtful it will ever be back at that price point once the sale is over.

I'd absolutely say go for it at that price (even if it's not working properly yet) if I was fully confident they were going to fix the issue... but it's been 6 months since it was brought up and nothing yet...

They tweeted "For everybody with Canabalt framerate issues on 3G or 3GS, we will address this once we get Steambirds launched, we promise! 7:41 PM Oct 13th via Twitter for iPad" , so I'm still holding out hope.

13. EMTKiNG

EMTKiNG Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    EMT
    Los Angeles,CA
    it only lags like once in a while not enough to not buy it at a dollar

14. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Not talking about the little lags here and there. It's been like that since the beginning, and those don't really bother me either. Since iOS4 the general framerate of the game was cut in half. It's not that big of a deal until the game really starts speeding up. At that point it honestly gets pretty unresponsive and hard to play.

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

According to Adam they "massively optimized the OpenGL pipeline" so all devices should see performance increases, with the iPhone 4 and iPad topping out at 60fps.

16. Crazy_Possum

Crazy_Possum Well-Known Member

17. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Good to hear. I really hope so. Canabalt was honestly one of my favorite games, but I find it really difficult to play with the low frame rate since the update.

Interesting. It's certainly a possibility that it's more due to newer OS issues. I've always been running the most recent OS. However, I thought I remembered reading that some 3gs owners were having the framerate issues since 1.4 even on pre iOS 4.0 systems.

18. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Perfect on my 3GS but I have a heartbeat more for "I must run" almost the best clone of Canabalt !!!

19. crazygambit

crazygambit Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    I liked everything about "I must run" except the actual game itself. The production values are excellent and the intro video is pretty cool and ridiculous at the same time. So much so, that I made a light parody of it for my own game.

However the actual game is pretty uninspired and I much prefer canabalt. There's no animation on the single jump (he will only roll on a double jump). I couldn't see a way to regain speed after touching an obstacle. The sliding is terrible, etc.

Canabalt got the action mostly right. I just wish there was a little more content.

20. cjsbug

cjsbug Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I guess we're not going to get an answer from the dev. :(