Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 03-14-2013, 02:56 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by schplurg View Post
If I may use you as an example, your signature used to say that we should Boycott EA until they removed the timers from RR3. But now your sig says that the game is okay because they adjusted the timers to less than an hour. Even a vocal critic can eventually compromise or be sold on an idea, so it seems they know what they are doing. They're slowly training all of us
I will respond to this but I do hope that no one responds to this directly, because I really don't want this thread to turn into a discussion about Real Racing 3. My purpose behind changing my signature encouraging people to boycott EA games unless the wait timers were removed was because of my desire to make ios games better.

Since I maybe one of the largest posters (in terms of recent posts per day) on Toucharcade, I do know that some of my comments will be heard even by the major publishers and developers and users alike. Have had many conversations with many developers and publishers to make improvements to many games including interactions with Chillingo and EA.

So, I felt a conscience to change my signature. But my goal was to get the wait timers to less than one hour by the US release. I realize that they would never take them out completely. In fact, I posted numerous times that it was my real goal to have the wait timers reduced from a max of 20 hours down to the current hour for the lower cars.

So I have never compromised my decision or changed my stand on wait timers at all. Anything really thrown into a game for no reason other than greed is a no no in my book.

About Chillingo which is owned by EA now, I had a recent problem with Catch the Ark where they added a lot of inapps, made it freemium wannabe, and somehow they corrupted the data saves and erased all our coins and inapp consumables, so yes, I was a little frustrated, and should have probably toned down the first post a bit, but I still stand by my comments that it is always good to do research on multiple publishers.

Anyway, a couple of pro developer folks got mad about my signature change, but I don't mind. If they want to view me as an EA haterz, that is their right, but I just am speaking some of my perceptions and the boycott thing was just cause I felt like I should take a major stand against the wait timers.

If one would read all of my posts in the RR3 thread, I have said numerous good things about the game, and I rated the game a 4/5. Even made Toucharcade's front page with 2 direct quotes with link below, so please don't just see me as a haterz of RR3 or EA. Yes, sometimes I maybe vocal about my opinions, but usually I am a nice and friendly guy.

http://toucharcade.com/2013/02/27/re...y-as-possible/

Peace out.

Last edited by Connector; 03-14-2013 at 03:55 AM..
Old 03-14-2013, 03:49 AM
Developer
iPhone 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ologon View Post
Thanks for your valuable suggestions! If someone has still other opinions/experences to share it'd be great

Are you sure?

Well, I'm not a big fan of freemium games so if they ask me "turn your game freemium in 1 month" I'd be a bit concerned. (And I don't think it's something I can do in 1 month).

My intention was going with Chillingo, as I contacted them for info a few months ago and they seemed nice. They asked me to send a demo once it's ready.

But I'm still unsure whether I should continue with the "Do-It-Yourself" route or not..
I had some experiences with AE/Chillingo in the past, totally agree with Connector, they won't help unless you want to share your success to them.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by antony.thai View Post
I had some experiences with AE/Chillingo in the past, totally agree with Connector, they won't help unless you want to share your success to them.
Isn't that the purpose of a publisher? Give a portion of your success to them, so they can help you make it a success?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:26 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackharon View Post
Isn't that the purpose of a publisher? Give a portion of your success to them, so they can help you make it a success?
I agree with Backharon. And it sounds quite fair actually.

I'm fairly new to the app store (My game "Tiny Stack" was released 5 months ago) and but I've already learnt ton of things about it. One of these is that is very very hard for an indie developer to have a fair amount of success on that crowed marketplace, even with a quality app. I guess some years ago when the apps out there were a few hundreds or thousands there were much higher chances for success.

So I thought about the publisher route. And the reason for my indecision is that I never had any kind of experience with a publisher so I wanted to hear what other more experienced developers have to say.