AWESOME Land - Now THIS is how we pay tribute to classic platform games!!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by DistantJ, Jan 29, 2012.

1. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

Introducing AWESOME Land! This game marks FreakZone’s true return to console-style retro gaming.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Manley's motorcycle has been stolen by evil aliens! It's up to you to help him kick some alien hide and claim it back in this incredible tribute to the great platform games of the past!

Venture into a twisted version of the Nevada Desert! Discover alien bases! Stamp on monsters with your massive biker boots! Weave between furious flamethrowers! Munch on meat... from the walls!

Remember when console games were AWESOME? When the challenge was in conquering fearsome obstacle courses rather than getting through needless tutorials? Awesome Land will restore your faith in true gaming and whether you spent your childhood jumping on mushrooms, rolling around loops or even whipping skeletons, this game will give your nostalgia muscles a good workout without having to fork out big bucks in some dusty vintage game store.

- 20 amazing, challenging levels!
    - Unique HD retro "photorealistic pixels" art style
    - Beastly bosses!
    - Silky smooth platform engine
    - Rocking soundtrack!

Do you have what it takes to save Manley's bike, or will you be hitchhiking home?

Trailer: http://youtu.be/zs9J9BRzTeo

AWESOME Land is due out on Friday, February 3rd, provided Apple's review process meets the deadline.

Promo codes will be dished out generously on Touch Arcade, so keep your eyes open for the thread!

2. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Will this be Universal?

3. DistantJ

Jan 25, 2012
    Yep, works on iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. Looks fantastic on the iPad.

4. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, I'll prolly be picking this up on Feb. 3!

I just hope this isn't another platformer without GC achievements.

5. Qurao

Qurao Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Denmark
    Holy hell, this looks trippy. If it controls well then I'm sold!

6. DistantJ

Jan 25, 2012
    Trust me, a lot of time has been taken to make sure this game plays as silky smooth as those classics, and it's been through a lot of testing with gamers. :)

@GoofyJmaster: GameCenter support is soon to follow! There are some pretty bizarre achievements in this one, with hidden puns for retro gamers :cool:

7. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Awesome! I'll prolly just buy it and out it on the back burner while I wait for achievements. Well, I'll prolly play the first couple of levels so that I can leave impressions and get the word out upon release.

8. sharpener

sharpener Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Musician
    Kowloon, Hong Kong
    oh my god this game looks awesome!

*open arms* come to me D:

9. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    This looks batshit crazy. I want it.

10. Daver16

Daver16 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Wow this looks amazing and crazy with the graphics I'm loving it! Can't wait to try this one out definitely going to have to keep my eyes peeled for a promo code!

11. DistantJ

Jan 25, 2012
    We've randomly had 4 people come and 'dislike' the video, and one guy seems to think he can write to 'The Big N' and get Awesome Land banned from the app store... Dunno where those people came from and why they have a problem, this has nothing more in common with any 'big N' franchise than any other 8-bit platform game, this isn't Super Jump World...

12. Merachan

Merachan New Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Whoa! I like the art direction!

13. Daver16

Daver16 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2011
    That's weird people have been disliking it and saying they are gonna call big N on you. I mean the game is clearly paying homage to the classic old school platform games but it has it's own direction and from what I can see is the levels are very very different.
    Seems silly people are getting all in a huff about it instead of being excited for it!

14. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Yeah looks awesome, but the characters jump animation on the pictures, looks too much like Mario :p

15. DistantJ

Jan 25, 2012
    I spoke to the guy who thought I was ripping stuff off, turns out he thought I had ripped the sprite straight out of a Mario game and put texture inside of the pixels or something. I mean at a first glance it looks kind of like a classic Mario sprite but I've looked up the sprites from all of the classic games and none of them happen to be just like this one. I wanted to draw him classic game style and with that few pixels I guess a guy with a moustache is always going to look like Mario.

He has a similar stance and stretches his front arm upwards when he jumps, but these are all little homages to classic games, it wasn't even specifically Mario I was paying tribute to there...

16. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Looks awesome, do you have a price set?

17. sharpener

sharpener Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Musician
    Kowloon, Hong Kong
    mario's long lost brother way more badass than wario xD

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well i'll be buying this, have no interest in game centre achievements so i dont mind about those for the initial release.

Graphics look a bit wild ! Look forward to getting this though, cant have too many platformers !

19. DistantJ

Jan 25, 2012
    £1.99 (Tier 3 I think), but you might be able to get yourself a promo code. Still waiting for Apple to finish reviewing it, they've never been this slow for me before. Worried it might not meet the release date!