Universal realMyst by Cyan Worlds

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by joehunt, Jun 14, 2012.

1. BeefJerky

BeefJerky Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Yes the text and fps are both disappointing. Can't see a reason why the books couldn't be improved and I do hope something can help the fps. Those issues aside, it is lovely to have RealMyst on the iPad. It's such an iconic game now and I love the freedom that comes with this version. It's really immersive.

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #42 syntheticvoid, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
    I wrote the devs, and this is the response I got;

I also gave them a link to this thread... Hopefully we can get all of this worked out.

3. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Thanks

4. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I am somewhat sympathetic with the developer, given that the game is a port of an old PC title. There may be legacy libraries or codes that were being used and had to be shoehorned into the iOS. I looked at the game's credits, and I saw an entirely new team working on the iOS version, so there may be technical issues porting the game over as well.

With this said, I concur with previous posts that the framerate and loading times need to be far better optimized. There are plenty of games based on Unreal3 engine that are inherently more complex and yet do suffer the same issues. Some of the loading times are atrocious and completely unacceptable (even without any app running in the background). Thus, one can argue that the hardware is sufficient to run the game, but a lack of optimization is the problem.

The game is quite beautiful and holds up extremely well for a game that is years old. Some texture are very blurry up close, but the sceneries are beautiful from afar.

I agree that we should encourage the developer to fix these issues. Still, for any gamer who loves adventure games, this is a must buy.

5. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    the framerate and loadtimes i can live with its not a fast paced game, im not gonna die from getting sniped due to lag lol...but fix the text in the books,notes, diagrams hard to play the game when you can barely make out some of it and you really need to be able to see it as the game is all about reading and figuring out clues from them and the notes left.... EYESTRAIN!:eek:

6. joehunt

joehunt Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    100% agree. I was going to try to actually read the books this playthrough, but it's too much of a strain :( Surely the devs would have noticed this at some point?

Shame this has to spoil what is otherwise a beautiful game.

7. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Totally agree with you guys regarding the low-res graphics. I mean, how could they possibly think this is acceptable - it is bordering on unreadable.

[​IMG]

Even if they had to rework some of these graphics from scratch, it wouldn't involve much work at all, as demonstrated here. This was just quickly done in Photoshop in a few minutes.

[​IMG]

8. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Maybe the Devs can hire you, to do all of them :D
    Looking way better

9. Malfhok

Malfhok Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Freelance video
    IL
    Well, I can't get Cyan Worlds to come over here and post, but I can pass along the link they posted for support requests over on their Myst Online forums: http://support.cyanworlds.com/

10. mysterm

mysterm New Member

Jun 16, 2012
    The devs are following. :)

Thanks for the great comments. They definitely help us set priorities for the update.

As for lag, naturally there is quite a bit to load (and unload), but lots of background processes can really affect the framerate. Try restarting your iPad or even airplane mode, and let us know if that helps.

11. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to the forum Devs.

I hope you can realize some of the items.
    Mainly builtin hint system. for on the road.. Don't have always internet connection

12. mysterm

mysterm New Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Devs agree

We agree. We're pulling more "weeds" for the update.

(This imager page is one "weed" we pulled, but for some reason the the crap texture made it back in. Embarrassing. :eek:)

13. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    @mysterm - Welcome to the forums. Glad to hear that you are looking into addressing the low-res graphics issues. The game deserves a bit of polishing around the edges to bring it back to its former glory. I look forward to the update!

14. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

After completing the iPad version just now (and the bonus Rime land!) I must agree with you.

Textures and small details not at anywhere near the same level as pre-rendered, and there are some jarringly low poly models too (rocks etc). I think its the nice lighting that saves it. Still does look really nice and as a player of the original 'slideshow' back in the day, it is really nice to walk around freely!

Full 3D does actually make for easier navigation and orientation especially on some of the puzzles with having full spacial control (eg pipe switches in tree world) but some places (internal and tight for space) are a bit more fiddly.

They have added a great deal of nice animations (butterfly's, water, scenery etc) bringing it to life and it's still a greatly written game. Nice pace and atmosphere - I wish more games were like it now really!

You can think of it as not just 'hidden object' game, but 'Hidden OBJECTIVES' too! I can see how people that hadn't played before would be a bit mystified hehe :D

Some glitches:-
    Memory buffering causing lag.
    Sometimes get stuck on small steps up (e.g. lighthouse exit).
    Obviously the low texture quality for text as mentioned.
    But really playable.

Overall really enjoyed revisiting the game and surprised that actually its not that long/hard! I'm sure I was playing this for months to progress when I was a kid!

15. Shane Turner

Shane Turner Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Montreal
    Brightness control

Totally enjoying working my way through this game again. So far I've encountered the choppy frame rate issue when outdoors looking at lots of objects, for example, if standing near the clock tower right off the isle of myst and looking at the island, frame rates slow to a crawl. Usually this is not an issue however.

One thing I'd really suggest that hasn't been mentioned here is some kind of brightness/gamma control or slider. Dark areas can be rather hard to see at times even with the brightness cranked on my ipad 2. For example seeing details in the cabins in the treetops is near impossible unless I'm indoors in low lighting conditions.

16. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Thanks for listening to my feedback. I appreciate your attention.

I have tried restarting my iPad and disabled any other "background" apps (and putting my iPad in airplane mode), the lag (especially loading lag) is still there. :(

17. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I'm not sure if this is a bug...
    I have reached a part in the game where I have to set all the marker switches on Myst island to the Off position (as instructed by the two torn halves of paper) but the marker switch by the clock doesn't bring up any controls to allow me to move it. All the other switches work fine but this one seems to be missing the controls. Anyone else having this problem?

18. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    nice welcome to the forums dev! glad to see update is being worked on, i have also tried airplane mode on my ipad 3 16gb and it still lags rebooting and ending all tasks running same thing, i have 3gb free as well...

its also nice to see that you did fix the text in the books,notes, diagrams and it was just a oops and it some how made it in the final build... the lag gets really bad in the age with the ships and every time the lightning strikes it lags the system for a under a second its just a jitter...

19. Candykiller

Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    #59 Candykiller, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
    Hmm, I'm pretty sure I have hit on a game breaking bug here. No matter what I do, I can't control one of the marker switches anymore (see spoiler post above) and I need to switch it off to access the next part of the game. Devs, anything I could try to force it back into action?

EDIT - Ha, ignore this post. It turns out that the marker switch was in the correct position to continue after all.

20. PrayForDeath

PrayForDeath Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Nothing pleases me more than seeing devs actively respond to customers comments on this forum. Thank you, and I cannot wait for the update.