Alpha/beta testing via Touch Arcade forums

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Eracles, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Eracles

Eracles New Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Hi developers, I am an indy developer (new to Touch Arcade) who is looking to test a concept with a couple of variants (let's call it alpha testing). I am in love with trying to find out new mechanics and in short I want to discover if the game is fun in one of its variants and not only to me or friends, but to people who regularly play games and would be happy to pay one dollar or two for the right experience. What is the best way to engage gamers in the forum?

The game is an iPhone puzzle game that is designed to test reflexes.

Thanks for any direction or indication.

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Testflight is designed for this, but you still need to get users.

3. 1pxOff

1pxOff Active Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Software Developer
    Texas
    Yeah testflight is perfect for this. Once you setup an account and get your app configured to work with the service, you can create a signup page and even control how many ppl you let into the beta. With the testflight sdk, you can setup questions to periodically popup and ask your users while they play your game. You can also set "checkpoints" to see how far users are making it into your game or where they are getting stuck, etc. Good luck!

4. Eracles

Eracles New Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Hi Destined and 1pxOff. I am a TF user, my question was more about the etiquette in the forums. And also: are users in Touch Arcade responsive to such experiments?

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #5 Nullzone, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    I'm not into puzzle games, so I don't know what the audience there is like.
    From my experience in the Roleplaying/Strategy niche, TA people (myself included) a very open and responsive to testing, discussing game design details with the developers, providing feedback etc.
    But I honestly don't know if this is specific to these two genres (not that many good games there), or a general TA attitude.
    However, without any hard data to back it up: from what I see (devs actively creating threads to ask for testers - and getting them, people who list dozens or hundreds of games they betatested, feedback in the threads, etc.), I guesstimate that this is a "TA attitude".

My limited experience with etiquette:
    Create a thread in "upcoming games". Say that you are the developer, where you are currently in your development effort, that you want testers. And, most importantly: Show! Screenshots, videos, developer diary, whatever suits you best. But visual impressions naturally convey the most and generate the most interest.
    Super-secret style ("working on an awesome game, need testers, but won't show/tell anything even when asked") does not fly well.
    Oh, and be responsive, of course.

6. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    I'm a puzzle lover and I'd happily test for free if you were conducting the test through testflight.

My advice would be- go through testflight and set up a beta test, then post your game in the upcoming section and ask for beta testers, offer a $10 iTunes card as a prize for 1 of the beta testers that complete the survey form.
    Or, don't offer a prize at all, you'll still get a few testers, especially if the game looks decent. And if you offer a reward of any kind, often people will sugar coat the feedback, don't offer a prize and you'll get 100% raw feedback which is more beneficial.
    Make sure you post screenshots and video on the upcoming thread to attract players of the appropriate kind...
    Goodluck.