Save Data Syncing

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by NichBoy, Apr 4, 2010.

1. NichBoy

NichBoy Member

Apr 4, 2010
    So the iPad is upon us!

Let me ignore for the moment the HORRIFIC state of affairs where if I want to play Flight Control on my iPhone and my iPad I have to purchase it twice... and ask a question about game syncing.

Say I am in the middle of a hardcore game of Zenonia 2 while on the bus. I've whipped out my iPhone and are hacking and slashing my way through. Then I get home and feel like continuing my quest of awesomeness, but this time I might be hankering for a larger screen. Does anyone see a future where I can launch Zenonia 2 on my iPad and be playing the same game save as on my iPhone? Would syncing swap those over? Probably not, right, because they're considered 2 different games for two different devices. If that's the case does anyone else feel slightly ripped off that you'll be limiting your fun to one device or another? Do I want a bigger, better screen or portability? Personally, I want both, since they're exactly the same game just up-resed.

2. gus1

gus1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    This is a good question. More specifically, has anyone tried to do a "restore from backup" of iphone/itouch games with specific saves, to the ipad? I can do the restore from backup option to basically "clone" several itouches so that the games and game saves transfer to another device.
    Hopefully this can be done. I'd hate to have to redo my Need for Speed Underground game that has all cars unlocked, in order to play it on an ipad.
    I wish apple would make it easy to transfer not only the game but the game save also...
    If anyone could be of help, thanks in advance!

3. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Restore from your iPhone backup.

4. NichBoy

NichBoy Member

Apr 4, 2010
    But that still means that once I start a game on one device, I'm tied to that device for that game, even though I've got two pieces of gear that do nearly the exact same thing.

I would love Apple to steal a page from the Kindle (pun absolutely intended) and introduce something like WhisperSync for games and apps. Keep you up to date with your latest save state no matter what device you're on.

5. nightbeaver

nightbeaver Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    some developers host their own servers that you can upload your save game to and download it for whatever reason. now that you can use sd cards with the ipad i hope that apple would let you use it for more than just than just pictures. that would be real nice but i doubt that they will do it