Hungribles – tasty dev news and chat [Futuremark Games Studio]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by FM_kingkatt, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FM_kingkatt

FM_kingkatt Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Futuremark Games Studio Marketing and Community Ma
    Finland
    #1 FM_kingkatt, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
    Hey guys and girls, I'm FM_kingkatt from Futuremark Games Studio, the developer of new iOS game Hungribles. I look after community and marketing for our small team and I'll be posting Hungribles news regularly in this thread for those that want to follow along. I'm also happy to answer any questions you have, so ask away!

Hungribles is a new skill shot puzzle game featuring tiny creatures with massive appetites. Their cravings are so powerful they can pull food through the air and into their waiting mouths. Only by feeding them tasty orbs can you satisfy their incredible hungers but when Hungribles get together you'll have your hands full trying to feed them all.

[​IMG]
    Click to enlarge​

The aim of the game is to feed the Hungribles and make them happy. You do this by launching tasty orbs from a strange glowing mushroom slingshot, of course! Each Hungrible's appetite affects the path of the tasty orb as it flies across the screen. Feeding a Hungrible can also affect its behavior and the challenge comes from predicting the trajectory of each orb and figuring out the best feeding order.

[​IMG]

Click to enlarge​

Earn score bonuses by bouncing orbs off walls, curving them around Hungribles or hitting the Pot of Gold. Perfectionists can try to achieve a three star rating on every level. Compared to other physics-based puzzlers, in Hungribles there is more skill to aiming and the gravity inspired appetite effect is unique.

Hungribles is our first iOS title, coming to iPhone and iPad this summer. We're profiled in this month's EDGE magazine if you'd like to know a little more about our studio.

Hungry for more?
    There's lots more good news to come!
    Website | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

2. FM_kingkatt

Jun 8, 2011
    Finland
    Here are the Yogscast guys having fun with our teaser trailer. This made the studio team laugh a lot, hope you enjoy it too.

We're already working on our next trailer which will feature ... gasp ... actual gameplay. Stay tuned. :)

3. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    haha. I love that poster. The art is fantastic. Can't wait to see some actual gameplay.

4. FM_kingkatt

Jun 8, 2011
    Finland
    Thanks. Our last game was a serious, hardcore FPS so it's been a real change to work on something so different. The art guys have had a lot of fun with this and the audio will put a smile on your face too.

5. ChuckMe

ChuckMe Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Australia
    Lol nice teaser. Made me laugh. :D Your last game looked fantastic so I'm sure this will be awesome too.

6. FM_kingkatt

Jun 8, 2011
    Finland
    I just watched the first draft of our new trailer and it needs a few tweaks but I think you'll love it. It should answer a lot of your questions, namely, "What do you actually do in this game??!!" The final version of the trailer should be ready next week.

7. FM_kingkatt

Jun 8, 2011
    Finland
    #7 FM_kingkatt, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
    We've just released the very first screenshots from Hungribles so now you can see what the game actually looks like! I've added some captions to explain what you are seeing and give you some insight into how the game works.

The aim of the game is to feed the Hungribles and make them happy. You do this by launching tasty orbs from a strange glowing mushroom slingshot. Pull back with one finger on the screen, slide on the screen to aim and then let go to let fly!

[​IMG]
    Click to enlarge​

Hungribles are so hungry that they literally draw food towards them, an effect that is a bit like gravity. Each Hungrible's appetite affects the path of the tasty orb as it flies across the screen. Feeding a Hungrible can also affect its behavior and the challenge comes from predicting the trajectory of each orb and figuring out the best feeding order.

[​IMG]

Click to enlarge​

Earn score bonuses by bouncing orbs off walls, curving them around Hungribles or hitting the Pot of Gold. Perfectionists can try to achieve a three star rating on every level. Compared to other physics-based puzzlers, in Hungribles there is more skill to aiming and the gravity inspired appetite effect is unique.

These screens are from the iPad version but the game is coming to iPhone too.

8. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    #8 triggywiggy, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
    Game looks good, well done.

Would love to see more gameplay

9. FM_kingkatt

Jun 8, 2011
    Finland
    I thought this was the section for upcoming iPhone games? :confused:

10. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Yeh sorry, Thought i was in the General Section, I was on IPod when doing that post, So could not see what section i was in, Sorry

I edited the post anyways about 4 mins ago when you must have typed this.

11. FM_kingkatt

Jun 8, 2011
    Finland
    He he, no worries. I thought I was going mad for a minute though. :)

12. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    That game looks amazing! How many levels are there going to be?

13. FM_kingkatt

Jun 8, 2011
    Finland
    There will be a decent number of levels at launch ranging from easy to "quite tricky", as our designer calls it. We're play testing at the moment trying to find the right balance. Some levels might get added, others might be dropped, so it's difficult to put an exact number to it right now.

We will be creating updates if the game takes off and we'll be watching and listening to see what people enjoy the most.

14. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Thanks for the reply. Sounds good! :)

15. FM_kingkatt

Jun 8, 2011
    Finland
  16. FM_kingkatt

Jun 8, 2011
    Finland
    Rumors that each Hungrible is based on someone we know are NOT true...

Chops is always hungry. His powerful cravings pull food through the air and into his waiting mouth. Feed him a tasty orb and his tummy expands in delight.

Dibs' appetite is totally bi-polar, he's ravenous one minute, stuffed the next. Feeding him an orb triggers his mood swings.

One orb is never enough for Bonker. After eating an orb, his appetite shrinks. After a second orb, it disappears completely as he retreats inside his shell.

Izzy is shy and worries that his friends will find out his real name, Isambard. He's often asleep and prefers not to be disturbed, leaving just a small section of his shell open for feeding.

Ratt hates eating, and just about everything else too. Only tasty orbs can snap him out of his dark moods, but how do you feed him when he always pushes food away?

Puffee's charms have the other Hungribles in a spin. But when she lets out a puff it puts them right off their food, reversing the effect of everyone's appetites.

Booga loves sharing and helping others. When you feed him an orb he splits it in half and, with a mighty sneeze, shoots the two pieces out of his booga-nozzles.

17. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    This looks awesome. No definitive ETA yet?

18. FM_kingkatt

Jun 8, 2011
    Finland
    Thanks! No definite ETA yet but we're getting closer to app submission time. While testing continues we spent today getting our heads round the submission process, writing our app description and trying to choose good keywords. Tough stuff.

We've also been capturing a ton of screenshots for our app store page. I'm hoping I'll be able to share them here tomorrow (we're based in Finland, so it's coming up on 01:00 as I write this).

19. FM_kingkatt

Jun 8, 2011
    Finland
    While we wait for those new screenshots, here's a bit of fun ...

Booga's tribute to the TENSO meme

[​IMG]

20. FM_kingkatt

Jun 8, 2011
    Finland
    It's been a busy couple of days. The closer you get to a deadline the more work there is to do! Anyway, as promised here is a new screenshot from Hungribles. This screen is taken from the iPhone version of the game and is one of the images we'll be using on our App Store page.

[​IMG]

The aim of the game is to feed the Hungribles and make them happy. The thought bubbles show you which Hungribles need feeding to complete the level. To play, you pull back and aim with the purple mushroom slingshot thingy. The rainbow shows you where the tasty orb is going to go when you let go. You can see how each Hungrible's appetite affects the path of the orb. You get bonus points for trick shots, bouncing the orb off walls, curving it around Hungribles or hitting the pot of gold.