Lawyer'ed up or what? The plight of Vector Tanks

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Psychopsam, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Psychopsam

Psychopsam Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    So I'm wondering why Peter Hirschberg's Vector Tank games have been pulled from the App store when quite clearly Jeff Minter's Llamasoft games haven't? They are obviously copies of Atari and Williams games.

I was thinking of doing a tribute to Tron and The Last StarFighter but with Atari on the prowl are other companies going to stop me?

What do you have to do, to make a game that references or pays homage to an existing classic?

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Think if its practically a direct copy (Vector Tanks) and the company who owns the rights to that game is 'probably' releasing some anniversary edition soon then its obvious they want it pulled.

I've got all of Jeff Minters games, if they were direct copies of old classics then yeah fair enough, but theyre not. The Robotron 'copy' is totally different with its enemies/bonuses, same for his others.

Think theres a huge difference between the Vector Tank clone and Jeff Minters games.

'Perhaps' if the official Robotron game comes out then they'll want lots of copies/'homages' to be deleted from the app store. But i dont think you can compare Vector Tank to any of Jeff Minters which arent direct copies.

3. Psychopsam

Psychopsam Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I'm not trolling, but I think Vector Tanks is not a direct copy of Battlezone because it features faster game play, powerups and different enemies. Especially with the nuke, shields and rapid fire it makes it a different game to Battlezone.

Rescue the Minotaur is so much like the Atari 2600 version of Asteroids, other than the Space War gravity well.

I don't see the difference in the "difference" those games made of the originals.