Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-04-2014, 10:28 AM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsim View Post
You folks rock . Names added, and you'll be the first I contact. It's still all just prototype stage, but the current demo gives a sense of what I'm trying to get to. PeteOzzy hit the nail on the head - "ominous." I'm not sure how best to achieve it and maintain the right gameplay pacing (think DC:SS), but the idea of seeing something peeking out of the shadows and thinking "gulp" was one of the first visuals I had in mind when thinking about this...

I'm on the tail end of getting an installable Mac demo going, and should be able to get a tech demo on iPad by the end of next week if CES doesn't steal too many cycles.

Thanks again!
Sounds like you're going for Dark Souls: Pixel Edition. That kind of dread was so satisfying in DS, so if you could capture that tone in 7YRL, that would only add to the usual tension inherent in roguelike gameplay
Old 01-04-2014, 10:58 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

This looks nice... One of the avatars remind me of Legends of Yore. In fact, i think they are the same. Shed some light on this?

Im also hoping to be included in the testing if possible. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2014, 02:39 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxsta View Post
Sounds like you're going for Dark Souls: Pixel Edition. That kind of dread was so satisfying in DS, so if you could capture that tone in 7YRL, that would only add to the usual tension inherent in roguelike gameplay
Thanks for the tip; I'm not familiar with the game but will check it out. Appreciate the pointer!
Old 01-04-2014, 02:44 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsim View Post
Thanks for the tip; I'm not familiar with the game but will check it out. Appreciate the pointer!
Here's the trailer:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Not an IOS game, but the idea of being alone in a dark enemy-infested place, not knowing what lurks around the next corner or in the shadows ahead, is part of the appeal.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:51 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
This looks nice... One of the avatars remind me of Legends of Yore. In fact, i think they are the same. Shed some light on this?
Sure thing! The avatars are based on Oryx's work - I picked up a license to his spritesheets (and gave him a call-out in the comments in this slidedb news item). I love his stuff and have been a fan ever since he did the LOFI fantasy compo (see here). I even paid for his 16bit spritesheet even though I don't have a use for it yet - I wanted to support folks like him to encourage more of it (for us developers with little-to-no artistic ability ). You can also see his artwork (or something very similar, I'm not sure which) in Realm of the Mad God. For something like $40 you can purchase a license and use some of his pixelart in your game. Definitely worth checking out at oryxdesignlab.com.

For 7YRL's mobs, I start with one of his static images and create 31 others for a total of 32 frames of animation per mob (that'll grow more as attack animations and whatnot get added). You can see those in the slidedb article I linked above.

As an aside - an equally amazing pixel artist who inexplicably allows folks to use his set of 420 icons for free is Ails. Check these out. I'm using them for the 'up close' icons in the game and am eventually planning on placing as large a pile of money as I can muster at his feet and begging him to create more .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Im also hoping to be included in the testing if possible. Thanks!
Absolutely, more than happy to include you and hugely appreciate the interest!

Last edited by jeffsim; 01-04-2014 at 03:02 PM..
Old 01-04-2014, 03:00 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxsta View Post
Not an IOS game, but the idea of being alone in a dark enemy-infested place, not knowing what lurks around the next corner or in the shadows ahead, is part of the appeal.
Yes, exactly. Exactly. Combine that with permadeath and I'm hoping to have a game I can't put down. That feeling of running into Sigmund in DC:SS and staring at him wondering if you're strong enough to take him down; only, seeing him pop out of the shadows a couple of tiles in front of you instead. I like that idea...

Unrelated: how did I not know about indie game enthusiast?! Welcome to my daily reading list .
Old 01-04-2014, 03:02 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

I noticed the Oryx sprites on first glance and it actually made me more interested - it generally suggests the creator of the game has a similar taste in games to me, not to mention that I just really like them.
Those other sprites look pretty fantastic too, would they not dramatically change the tone of the game though? They're a little more cartoony (not in a derogatory sense) so I wonder if the suspense would be hampered somewhat. Though if it's just for close ups/inventory then that probably wouldn't be an issue.

Cheers for the link to Ails site though, pixel art is something I do a fair bit in my off time so I love seeing some inspiration!

Will keep following the game here and slidedb too, lovely to have a personable dev talking about their project!
Old 01-04-2014, 03:26 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post
I noticed the Oryx sprites on first glance and it actually made me more interested - it generally suggests the creator of the game has a similar taste in games to me, not to mention that I just really like them.
Well then I applaud your taste in games!

Quote:
Those other sprites look pretty fantastic too, would they not dramatically change the tone of the game though? They're a little more cartoony (not in a derogatory sense) so I wonder if the suspense would be hampered somewhat. Though if it's just for close ups/inventory then that probably wouldn't be an issue.
You've captured in one sentence what I spent several weeks pondering. I even rewrote the rendering engine at one point to work with Oryx's 16bit spritesheets to see if that felt better (less jarring jumping between those and Ails'). The shadowing was oddly unfulfilling with the 16bit sprites though; almost an uncanny-valley like effect which isn't present with the coarser 8x8 sprites. So I stuck with 8x8 in the tilemap, but then was torn because there's only so much variety you can have with 8x8, and I've got several hundred items defined (and a crafting and progression system that's balanced around that many) so I needed more. That left me with mixing the two styles and pondering if that was going to be too jarring or 'unauthentic'. Ultimately I convinced myself that it was okay as long as I kept them separate (8x8 in the tilemap, larger in the UI) - and that I'd just try it and see how folks reacted to it. You can see it all intermingled in the videos - I think it's okay, but will likely spend much of the next six months second-guessing myself

Quote:
Cheers for the link to Ails site though, pixel art is something I do a fair bit in my off time so I love seeing some inspiration!
Will keep following the game here and slidedb too, lovely to have a personable dev talking about their project!
Awesome! I love the discussion as well - the last few games I published were all done in a self-imposed vacuum, and one of my top goals with 7YRL is to do whatever I can to get more input, feedback, thoughts, and ideas well before it's "too late."