Universal Polara - (by Hope This Works)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Platyrrhine, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Looks pretty cool

2. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Take my word for it that this game is tough...like really. You're gonna have to balance your brains to play this well. :)

Btw, why is this classified as a runner? Shouldn't it also be classified as a platformer? I feel its a platformer.

3. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Been waiting for something like this since Ubisoft's Outland was only released on consoles.
    Looks like a great polarity/gravity/Ikaruga platformer.

4. .THOTH.

.THOTH. Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Credit counselor :(
    Tacoma, WA
    I'm all over this one tonight

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    To me a platformer is any game where you can stop and go left/right and take your time. A runner is a game where the character constantly moves and you cant stop them apart from move up/down/jump/fire etc.

When i think of platformers i think of Manic Miner, Mario Land, Sonic etc.

6. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    I'm not much of a console gamer, but I just checked out some gameplay footage of Outland and boy must I say I'm impressed. Hopefully that comes to mobile sometime soon.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Been following this, and i cant wait to play it.

8. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    So freak'n psyched about this one. The trailer looks outstanding. =oD

9. OriginalDex

OriginalDex Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Been waiting for this, everything that develops the Ikaruga system is worth my attention.
    Can't wait to play it!

10. HTWGames

HTWGames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Don't forget everyone, Polara is released tomorrow! I hope you all dig it. We're just a small 3 man team working satellite across Canada and we're doing our best to bring you fun schtuff :D

PSSSSSST...the full trailer will be live sometime after midnight PST.

Cheers everyone!

11. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Fantastic video!
    Glad to buy this and support fellow Canadians
    Just Hope this Works:)....sorry guys someone had to say it!

12. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    :eek: I look forward to playing this

13. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I love the speed in that video.

14. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Looks great and while there are a few other promising titles (especially Crazy Taxi) so far this is probably my only must buy.

15. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    nice tron like look.

looks pretty intense.

16. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Haha earlier I mentioned that the trailer will be released at midnight... Completely forgot it would be released in NZ basically a day early. Oops! :)

17. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #17 Exact-Psience, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
    I have the game now and i want to start with...

THIS GAME IS FANTASTIC.

I've only played the intro and the fist 2 story levels, and the game impressed me much.

I love the pin-up style art in story mode and most of the cutscenes, and the sounds are pretty good too, with nothing irritating to the ear.

The gameplay is a basic sidescrolling runner with 2 buttons, and these buttons felt too natural controls-wise. There's a jump button and a color-swap button on the left and right side of the screens, which you can exchange positions in the options menu.

What really impressed me is the level design and it's impact on the usage of the color-swap button. Basically, you have to match your suit's color to be immune to hazards of that color. The level designs look all too varied every step of the way, and these variations will really change the way you feel about 2-button runner games. It's the complex and brilliant level design that defines the gameplay, and it excels so much at that for me. With the spot-on controls, the platforming becomes natural right away.

This game also oozes with polish. You character isnt confined to limited animations. Instead, she moves fluidly and has different animations like slowing down, walking, flipping, floating and others in addition to the running and jumping. Also, this runner game has a real story line included in it, and not just an intro for each level. I cant say much about this, but from what i've seen so far, pretty well thought of and well-implemented.

Replaying levels gives you all new objectives like collecting colored-letters (match your color to collect) and picking up items.

Game content looks massive for a buck. There are 6 game modes to unlock, but i havent unlocked any yet. Plus, there are 32 GC achievements to aim for.

And for those wondering, I CANT FIND ANY IAP ON POLARA, which is why right now i raise a question why they are only selling it for a buck. This game deserves to be sold at a higher price, i'd say it's easily worth $3, maybe more.

The only thing is that there are ads on the loading screen... BUT ONLY ON THE LOADING SCREEN. I guess this may have influenced the $1 pricing, but so far it is in no way interfering with gameplay, and not a bit on the menus either. At least none that i noticed if there was any.

So far so good. I havent touched all of my purchases today, but this already looks to be my game of the week being the runner addict that i am.

18. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Nice review. You've got me sold. Although they obviously are very different, this looks to me like a runner that has the kind of substance that God of Blades was missing (yes, I played it, and still think it was lacking).

Bring on 11 p.m. EST!!!

19. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    SWEET REVIEW! Thanks so much!

Just wanted to clarify a few things.

There isn't any IAP. We didn't want to put any in this at all. We wanted it to be a full complemented side scrolling platform runner.

The 'ads' in the loading screen are basically so we can have cross-promotion so it doesn't stick in your face when you're playing, but rather as a side note when the game is loading. We really are trying to make it enjoyable for the user rather than detrimental. So you'll see our content linking to us and possibly other games that take advantage of the cross-promo with us!

The introductory price is .99 cents and will be limited so make sure you tell your friends! :D

So glad you're enjoying it man!
    Cheers :D