Maths and Sorcery - A turn based maths puzzler with RPG elements

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gangof.one, May 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gangof.one

gangof.one Member

Feb 19, 2017
    Software Developer
    Austria
    #1 gangof.one, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
    [size=+3]Logo/Icon (WIP)[/size]
    [​IMG]

[size=+3]Intro[/size]

Hi, I am Juergen, an independent game developer from Europe/Austria and I'd like to introduce my third iOS game to you: Maths and Sorcery.

I would call it a turn based maths puzzler. It's for people who want improve their mental arithmetic skills and in order to make that a bit less boring, I've added some RPG elements on top.

I am currently polishing and balancing it a lot and I hope that I'll soon be able to invite you to the first public beta. I'll keep you posted!

I'd really love to hear what you think of it so far! :)

[size=+3]Gameplay[/size]

Basically, the hero has typical RPG like attributes like health, attack, luck an so on. In order to increase those, the hero has to collect experience points in battles by defeating enemies.

A battle consists of one or more waves and every wave consists of one or more enemies (there are of course also boss battles).

Each enemy has a weakness (one out of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division). When it's the player's turn, the player must select one or more enemies to attack. After that selection is done, the player has to solve expressions containing the previously selected weaknesses (operators) in a certain time. The more expressions the player solves, the more damage is caused to the selected enemies. After that, the enemies attack.

Sometimes the enemies leave some loot after the battle has ended. Gems, Mana, Potions or Food. Food can be used to unlock and/or level up Companions. Each companion grants a certain boost in battle like +10% attack, +50% luck and so on. There are up to four slots for Companions and before a battle starts, the player can choose what Companions he will take into battle.

[size=+3]Screens[/size]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[size=+3]GIFs[/size]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jay_sw and DTK like this.
  2. Asp

Asp Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Maths and RPGs. Two of mankind’s greatest inventions put together. I’ll buy it.

3. Sarah Saunders

May 9, 2018
    Sounds awesome!

4. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Awesome

Looking good! If you’ll need any beta testers my TestFlight is
    [email protected]

5. Vyacheslav

Vyacheslav Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Electrical engineer
    Ukraine
    Does it gonna be F2P or premium with in-app purchases?

6. gangof.one

gangof.one Member

Feb 19, 2017
    Software Developer
    Austria
    #6 gangof.one, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Thanks guys, I am glad you liked what you've seen so far!

It will be F2P.

I am also very happy to announce that Crescent Moon Games will be publishing it in the near future. :)

7. deadjam

deadjam Well-Known Member

May 9, 2010
    Male
    Digital Designer
    London, UK
    It's a fantastic game and the drama of trying to solve the expressions within the time limit adds real panic. I can't wait to play the official release version :)

8. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Yes! Very excited to be publishing this.
    We're working on improvements and things for a bit, but we'll keep you posted as we get closer to release.

9. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Consideration for beta

Hey guys,

Thanks again for letting me test this. Just a thought to consider adding. Could you please have a long press pop up description of what food/items are? I bought something in the shop but have no idea what it did before I bought it. Also on the loot screen after a battle so you can see what you got as loot does.

Thanks,
    Jake

Attached Files:

10. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    #10 aconfusedkender, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Another question

Where do I go to see what’s in my inventory? I’m curious how many of each food I have.

Edit: nevermind I saw it on the companion screen :)

11. gangof.one

gangof.one Member

Feb 19, 2017
    Software Developer
    Austria
    Thanks for testing and giving feedback!

Something like a food/loot detail pop up makes sense. :) We'll take that into consideration.

Thanks,
    Juergen

12. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    #12 aconfusedkender, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
    On the above topic I guess it’s not “necessary” to have a description since it’s just food for the companion but maybe have at least an inventory or count of them? Idk just feels like something is missing in that department.

Also one other thing is having the 3 ⭐️ requirements somewhere so you don’t have to guess how many turns it takes to get 3 instead of 2.

It was smooth sailing with the “energy” until the 2nd stage. The 13xp you get for the first level (I’ve only 2 ⭐️ it after 3 attempts lol) used almost all my energy. I know I can watch an ad (which is disabled in the beta...thank you) but I’m not sure if that could be considered a little too quick for the energy/time to play consumption. Not sure how to remedy it other than lowering the scroll cost of the first few levels maybe, but then you run the risk of people just farming the early stages. Idk just something to think about.

Also got a �� and don’t see who it’s for, my guess is it’s for one of the 3 ? companions not yet unlocked/found

13. gangof.one

gangof.one Member

Feb 19, 2017
    Software Developer
    Austria
    Hey Jake,

thanks for even more feedback! :cool:

Yes, a clue of what it takes to gain 3 stars will be included in the final version.

Thanks, we'll take that into consideration as well.

I think that symbol is not supported by the font used here or something. :confused: Usually you should only find loot that you can actually use.

Thanks,
    Juergen

14. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    It was just a question mark I don’t know that symbol showed up haha

15. gangof.one

gangof.one Member

Feb 19, 2017
    Software Developer
    Austria
    No problem, we'll have a look at that. :)

16. FluffyOG

FluffyOG New Member

May 31, 2018
    This looks pretty interesting, if its still possible I would love to test it out. New to testing though so can't promise amazing feedback if I am able to test :p.

Edit: Forgot to include TestFlight which is [email protected] :)

17. Carrie Yin

Carrie Yin Member

May 24, 2018
    Genius for putting math and RPG! The idea is so cool

I'm wondering if there will be any evolution in the game? like the expression will be more and more difficult or sth?
    Trying to figure out how the long-term develop will go

18. gangof.one

gangof.one Member

Feb 19, 2017
    Software Developer
    Austria
    Every tester/feedback is welcome. :) Invitation should be in your inbox!

We're glad you like the idea. :)

The game starts off pretty easy but as more operators (enemy weakness) pop up it can become pretty hard but it's always up to the player how hard the expressions become. Each selected enemy to attack adds an operator to the expression that has to be solved, so it's always up to the player how hard it will be.

19. deadjam

deadjam Well-Known Member

May 9, 2010
    Male
    Digital Designer
    London, UK
    Do you have a date in mind for a release?

20. alekhkhanna

alekhkhanna New Member

Sep 8, 2017
    Hi !

Would like to try the beta. Sounds very interesting.

[email protected]

Thanks ! :)

gangof.one likes this.