Reviewers and the Media

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by HTWGames, Oct 29, 2012.

1. HTWGames

HTWGames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Has anyone else out there received amazing reviews, Editor's Choice awards, Game of the Week awards, yet is ignored by a major chunk of the media? Or have seen their rankings in the door plummet because people pay attention to big names rather than quality design?

Totally confused with our situation... would love to discuss, cheers!

2. MarkFromBitmenStudios

MarkFromBitmenStudios Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2011
    IT Architecture, Development Project Manager
    Austria, Europe
    Not sure what kind of media you're referring to. Since you got reviews & awards, it looks like you already got some press attention.

The ordinary press (newspapers) or other media (TV) usually don't care about new games being released unless it's a local paper maybe. There's little chances to make it into console/PC game magazines. They are more focused on hardcore games and their typical reader doesn't care much about mobile (casual) games, either.

Press coverage can result in some spikes but the lasting effect is often not that great. Reviews lose visibility to even more recent reviews. Unless you can get some word of mouth going, good press doesn't automatically ensure big lasting sales.

3. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I don't think they classify the apple devices as a game system. I never seen a ad for a iOS game in game informer or PC magazine.

4. HTWGames

HTWGames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    No no I'm referring more towards the fact that some major sites have given us the opportunity to be reviewed, whereas sites say like SlideToPlay won't even talk with us. There's a few places on the net that just avoided our title for some reason. I didn't think it was terrible whatsoever, but just 0 interest. Meanwhile we're getting a lot of praise from another section of the industry.

I'm trying to understand why one part of the industry would be interested in the title, but the other side won't even look at it. Doesn't that seem a little irresponsible in terms of reporting?

And in fact we are supposed to be on television in the future as well, so go figure hahaha

5. MarkFromBitmenStudios

MarkFromBitmenStudios Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2011
    IT Architecture, Development Project Manager
    Austria, Europe
    Reviewers are one tough audience. The renowened ones are more than busy and ignore a lot of games. It's nothing personal.

Sometimes the "wrong" genre is already enough to be skipped, e.g. another type of an overdone game type with just a twist is often skipped because they really don't need another tower defense, match of three or (endless) runner.

I wouldn't worry too much. Only a small part of your potential customers read reviews anyway and what's the chance of somebody just read slidetoplay and not TA, for example?

6. R3v

R3v Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    CMO @ PIXEL FEDERATION
    I just get back from Casual Connect in Kyiv, Rovio held a speech there. They said, they are not even aiming for sites as TouchArcade or PocketGamer, they go straight on CNN or New York Times websites with their press releases :eek: