Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 02-12-2014, 06:00 PM
iPad mini

Then there is hope for all of us! Also interesting it waited for 6 months before downloads took off. Maybe my app will do the same... There's still time!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:41 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

I heard about Flappy Bird when my friends started to brag about their scores. Later on, it was all over the net. I played and had a best of 14 then removed it. There's nothing particularly special about it, and for me it was just another game receiving a lot of social attention. But as someone working for a startup game development company, I can't tell 100% if the bird's popularity was built entirely on luck. The game found that sweet spot to trigger everyone's curiosity. Although it received a lot of criticisms, it made a huge impact on how users react to a new game concept.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:34 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

This sums it up quite nicely

"It is the perfect example of how a mundane app with an addictive premise can go viral, thanks to social media and word of mouth. What's more, Flappy Bird was a success because it didn't fit the mold. Anyone trying to create the next Flappy Bird will likely fail this was a perfect storm of circumstance, luck and viral drive. "

http://mashable.com/2014/02/10/flappy-bird-story/

There are probably 1000's of games as addictive, original, and uninspiring that could have just as easily taken its place. It's hard for onlookers to swallow LUCK. Notice that the ingredients (circumstance, luck and viral drive) for the "success" that flappy bird was, have almost nothing to do with the actual game!

Trying to recreate this anomaly would be like playing the same lottery numbers as the last winner, and expecting to win something. In fact, going anywhere close to this anomaly will actually be worse now, since 1) its been done, 2) the market will be flooded with similar products.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:47 PM

Which were those circumstances that were there that made flappy bird a success? I dont get them.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:35 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasterman View Post
This sums it up quite nicely

"It is the perfect example of how a mundane app with an addictive premise can go viral, thanks to social media and word of mouth. What's more, Flappy Bird was a success because it didn't fit the mold. Anyone trying to create the next Flappy Bird will likely fail this was a perfect storm of circumstance, luck and viral drive. "

http://mashable.com/2014/02/10/flappy-bird-story/

There are probably 1000's of games as addictive, original, and uninspiring that could have just as easily taken its place. It's hard for onlookers to swallow LUCK. Notice that the ingredients (circumstance, luck and viral drive) for the "success" that flappy bird was, have almost nothing to do with the actual game!

Trying to recreate this anomaly would be like playing the same lottery numbers as the last winner, and expecting to win something. In fact, going anywhere close to this anomaly will actually be worse now, since 1) its been done, 2) the market will be flooded with similar products.
I like those three words you mention. It's like nature put em all together, not even the flappy creator himself have seen it coming. I also agree that the market will be flooded by similar products, trying their best to squeeze a little something before the flappy madness goes down the drain.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardumb View Post
Pretty sure it was all organic: [URL="http://mashable.com/2014/02/10/flappy-bird-story/"]http://mashable.com/2014/02/10/flappy-bird-story/[/URL]
Maybe, maybe not.

[url]http://venturebeat.com/2014/02/11/how-in-app-review-mechanics-pushed-flappy-bird-to-the-top-of-the-charts/[/url]
Old 03-12-2014, 10:38 AM
iPad mini

Interesting article. In the end, no one really knows why it was a success or they would repeat it!
Old 03-12-2014, 02:12 PM
Developer

The only thing "wrong" with this whole situation imo, is everyone else making all these shameless clones.

Even then, as much as I don't like it personally you almost can't blame them. With the amount of Flappy clones on the top free charts right now, clearly this is whats in demand right now.