Is this Alarm App possible?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by DanM, Feb 18, 2009.

1. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    England
    Hi, I am fed up with my alarm clock's sound. Is it possible to make an app for ipod that brings it out of sleep mode and plays a random or chosen song from your music?

If so I'm sure alot of people would be interested as I hate the bleeping sound of my regular alarm clock.

Also, if this is in wrong section, sorry but I didn't know where to post!

2. Schenk Studios

Schenk Studios Well-Known Member

The biggest hurdle would be the fact that Apple currently does not allow apps to run in the background. Thus, any alarm app would have to be started by the user that night, and then leave it on that app for the duration. I could see a lot of things going wrong over the course of the night that would lead to angry users. aka, my alarm didn't go off, 1 star for you!

3. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    England
    Aw, the apple alarm function wakes your ipod though :(

4. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    That is correct. No apps can run in the background except apples. That brought up big discussion for AIM messaging app. It is probably a good thing, because someone might make a hacker app. So for now, you can't have a app wake the iDevice for sleep :(

5. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    No, but there is a very easy method to achieve what you're after...

Simply create your own custom ringtone audio file using the alarm sound you want, then when you go to edit your alarm clock's settings and you edit the sound, your alarm audio file will show up under a "Custom" header, as opposed to those listed under Apple's "Standard" header.

6. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Yeah, I've wished for the exact same thing many times, I hate waking up to a beeping noise. It's kind of ridiculous that apple did not implement such a feature for their own alarm, I mean it is an iPod, and itself original purpose was for music. Also there is such a feature on other iPods...maddening...

7. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    England
    I am on an ipt2g not iPhone :)